PDA

View Full Version : Mahamoti's Range Diary

mahamoti
July 16th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Catchiest title ever, no?

Thought I should get one of these started, and my first match in Production C sounded like a good time to do it.

July EAPS in in the books... I certainly shot it like someone who just made C class. 31/47 overall (50.41%), 13/21 production (63.68%).

I shot all the points on two stages, but completely bombed one, hit a popper low and having it not fall, and dropping a couple of shots into the black on headshots. 93.45% of the points before penalties, 88.40% after.

Pluses: I manned up and shot on the move in this match, without hurting accuracy, and picking up a few seconds on field courses (instead of 15sec behind the fast guys, I was only 10sec behind). Shot the classifier at 59.xx%.

Lessons: Shoot the dot up close. Check the poppers. Move faster. Come in with the gun up. Don't slack reload practice; fumbled on the classifier.

Things I know I need to practice: Transitions, transitions, transitions.

mahamoti
August 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM
After action report - August TPS

5/7 production (66.856%), 23/32 overall (45.3214%).

Short match, 4 stages, 100rds. I shot 90.80% of the points with no penalties. No video, unfortunately.

On the field stages, I did pretty well I think... shot accurately, never missed any steel (even the Texas star), and shot on the move when possible.

On the classifier, though... I shot everything low for some reason, and it showed in my HF. It should come in around 35%, for the record.

To be honest, I haven't spent the time practicing I know I need to spend in order to advance. Started with some grip strength training to go with a new exercise regimen, and almost done reading Brian Enos' book. Going to move on to Steve Anderson's dry fire book next, and attempt to get some regular practice time into my schedule.

mahamoti
September 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM
AAR - September 2012 EAPS

11/20 production (68.586%), 35/54 overall (50.8458%).

Shot 88.57% of the points, with no penalties.

This match was part of the RO training course, so besides shooting, I learned a bunch about running competitors through stages and scoring. Thanks to Troy for running a great class, and the rest of the squad for being a good bunch to learn with.

As for my performance... I did well on three of the stages, at least, finishing them in the low 20's overall. The last two stages, including the classifier, I once again shot everything low. I know I'm not aiming that low, and it might be time to start tinkering around with the front sight again, or just going with an adjustable rear. On one stage with small plates out around 12yds, I had to hold over a good bit, basically shooting through the front dot, to hit.

Even with the low hits on the classifier, it should come in around 50%. Not B-class like I'd like to be shooting, but still better than my current average. I didn't blaze it down, but I was decently fast on my reloads, and I'm sure I shot it in the right order... so that helped.

Besides POA/POI problems, I shot pretty well, grouping my shots tightly. I know this means I should pick up the pace a little, but I can't seem to find the point between "hit everything slowly" and "miss everything quickly". My strategy right now is to just try to shoot the A's, work on picking up the visual clues I need to be able to call shots, and just expect the speed to come with time.

mahamoti
September 22nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Really looking forward to TPS tomorrow. I swapped front sights again, and a quick range trip yesterday confirmed it's where I want it to be now. So, how did that take so long? Stupidly simple lesson: When you're doing something like swapping out sights, stick with a single ammo until you get it where you want it. I was bouncing back and forth between 115gr Federal or WWB, and the 124gr Aguila I'm using now. That made for some very inconsistent results when testing out another sight change. I should have known that!

mahamoti
September 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Sept TPS is a wrap, check my youtube channel for the video. Not a bad outing, but I did make some mistakes (shocked, I know!). The misses on steel I'm chalking up to bad habits to work out from shooting so long with the wrong front sight. The penalties, I don't have much excuse for. It was a high target through a low port, but that shouldn't have stopped me.

mahamoti
March 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Two months to go 'til my first major (MS Classic), so I'm going to hopefully log more here between now and then.

Video from this past weekend's TPS: TPS 10 March 2013 (http://youtu.be/LgBVc6y9CzI)

93% and change of the points, so not doing too badly there, but I dropped more than I should have on the classifier (4A 7C 1D). Transitions on steel looked good (to my eyes); why they're so much slower on paper, I don't know.

mahamoti
May 22nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
First major match is a wrap. Excellent match, great people putting it on. I don't have much to compare yet, but to my eyes, with the number of competitors, it flowed very well.

I ended up 9th C out of 30. Not where I wanted to be, but I'll take it.

I shot stages 7 and 8 better than just about any stage I've ever shot. Barring some time lost entering/exiting positions, I'm happy with those, and I'll be chasing consistency at that level between now and Gator.

I completely tanked stage 9. First pass I hit a no-shoot and made it up, but a swinger didn't activate. Re-shot it immediately, skipped a target, and had an M on another. This stage alone dropped me 4-6 spots in the C rankings. On the up-side, I did shoot the swingers well (thanks Bo!).

Stage 10, those silly handcuffs hooked a magazine in my belt, so I couldn't fully press out. Instead of spending time staring at it and figuring out what was wrong, I just shot the whole stage in some sort of Weaver stance. It definitely slowed me down, but it went well, considering.

Stage 1 I again made up a no-shoot, but failed to make up an M into hardcover.

Stage 2 I shot well, but slowly. My transitions were painfully slow; that's the biggest take-away for me to work on out of the whole match, I think.

Stage 3 was thrown out, but I didn't do too badly there. Not as quick as I would have liked, and had some misses on mini poppers, but I did clean the star in 5 shots, and was reasonably quick on the plate rack.

Stage 4, the drawbridge activator failed to fall even though I drilled it about dead center. Got it on the 2nd hit, but it cost me some time there.

Stage 5, again, shot well, but slowly.

Stage 6, the classifier, dropped a weak-hand M on the last shot. 47% or so according to classifiercalc, which won't help me get to B class.

Non-shooting lesson learned: Don't let Karthik navigate! Also, when copying an address off a web page into Google Maps, make sure it isn't the PO Box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFpB0iZTlo

mahamoti
May 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM
TPS 26 May. 2nd C, 6th Production

Had a great Stage 2; I'm pretty OK with shooting on the move now, at least the easy shots. Had a miserable stage 3 though... I tend to drop points on classic targets for some reason, and I was just slooooow.

http://youtu.be/3VaGVzx78ig

kz45
May 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM
The vid is private

mahamoti
May 26th, 2013, 06:55 PM
The vid is private
Bah, I keep forgetting that's the default from iOS. Fixed, thanks!

mahamoti
May 27th, 2013, 04:51 AM
So I kept reviewing the video of stage 3, trying to figure out how I was *so* much slower than I expected. From beep to last shot on the video was 28.7 seconds... My recorded time was 34.3. The timer must have picked up something during ULSC. I even checked the video length on other stages to verify they matched. Word to the wise, kiddos: check the shot count on the timer. That 5.6 seconds meant 20 match points, 1st C, and 4th Production.

I need to better predict what my expected time should be for a stage. 34 sounded slow to me at the time, but I had no concept of "that run definitely took under 30" in my mind, so I just accepted what was called out.

jwglock
May 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I asked you what your time was and I thought you said around 28 or 29 sec. You then said "you'll probably do it in 24".

mahamoti
May 27th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I asked you what your time was and I thought you said around 28 or 29 sec. You then said "you'll probably do it in 24".
I can pretty reliably guess where I come in with respect to others (like you) I routinely shoot with, and vice versa. But since I ran that stage first, and because it wasn't that long ago that 30+ sec on field courses was normal for me, I accepted that 34 when Troy called it.

I definitely don't want to make a big deal of it, because these things happen; I get that. I just want to file it away as something I need to watch out for, in bigger matches where it might matter. All I can figure is, Troy's timer (he was using his own instead of the club timer for some reason there) got bumped on the door, or picked up when I racked the slide.

kz45
May 27th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I was keeping score on that stage, I hope I didn't make a mistake, I repeat everything back to Troy when he calls out the time and hits, I guess it's possible they couldn't read my chicken scratch lol lol. Sorry that happened! It's happened to me before also

mahamoti
May 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I was keeping score on that stage, I hope I didn't make a mistake, I repeat everything back to Troy when he calls out the time and hits, I guess it's possible they couldn't read my chicken scratch lol lol. Sorry that happened! It's happened to me before also
Pretty sure it was just a problem with the timer picking up something it shouldn't have, so not your fault. I'd much rather learn these lessons at a club match than at a major!

mahamoti
June 13th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Well, there's my B ranking. Just barely eeked into it thanks to the May TPS classifier! 75% looks a long way away from here...

jwglock
June 15th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Bout damn time. Congrats!

mahamoti
June 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Bout damn time. Congrats!
Thanks! This summer is going to be more about getting reloading worked out, but I'll be out there chasing A soon enough :).

spanky
June 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Congrats!!

Sin-ster
June 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Well done. You've certainly earned it.

mahamoti
June 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Bo, Spanky, Jason: all of you have helped me along the way. You're partially responsible (to blame? Heh). Thanks!

mahamoti
September 9th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Keeping myself honest, here.

Two months away from shooting, with zero practice, hurts. Grip has gone to crap, shots are all going low right. I can't even worry about my times at this point... I just need to put in the work I need to straighten out my shot placement. I want to shoot 90%+ at Gator, and damn the time it takes to do it.

mahamoti
October 10th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I thought my grip had gone to hell, turns out I just bumped the hell out of my front sight post.

Sometimes, it really is the gear.

95% of the points at TPS this weekend, or bust.

mahamoti
October 14th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I'll settle for 92.57% of the points, given how much more difficult the targets were at TPS this past weekend! Had a crap reload or two, and forgot to top off a mag between stages, but at least I know the sights are right now.

mahamoti
October 28th, 2013, 07:31 AM
2013 Gator is a wrap. 89.91% of the points, so I was *real* close to the 90% I wanted to shoot. Of course, that was before the 3 Mikes I threw. Not a bad match overall though... had an FTE that killed me on one stage, the aforementioned Mikes (only 2 of which I even have an excuse for). Considering all the moving targets at this match, I'm pretty happy with my points.

Of course, time is still what's killing me, but it's a work-in-progress.

I was 9th C at the MS Classic, and I made 9th B here. I'm certainly not bringing home any plaques, but there's improvement.

There are a couple of spots, from the angle of the video at least, where it looks like I might have gotten lucky with the 180. Both were coming out of similar positions into a reload... I need to work on the right way to do that more safely.

mahamoti
November 17th, 2013, 06:11 PM
13/45 Limited, 20/65 Overall.

Really fun match! No video, though.

Had a reshoot on the stage with the PPR. Cleaned it the first time through, and went +20sec on the reshoot. That plus time lost dropping a mag when I didn't need to (hey, first time ever shooting Limited) hurt me in the ranking, but considering, not a bad match overall, and placed decently for shooting Limited Minor.

Still need to work on speeding up those transitions. This match showed me it's not splits that are hurting.

mahamoti
December 13th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Grabbed a copy of Max Michel's Shot Coach on iOS. I'm a numbers guy, and man, this gives you numbers galore.

On the EAPS Charity match, stage 4 (55rds, 1,2,...,9,10 on targets):

draw: 1.88 (ew)
avg split: .23 (about what I expected)
avg transition: .50 (again, what I expected, knew I could be faster here)
avg reload: 2.44 (ew)

I dropped 4 C's on the stage, all on one target.

Highly recommended app, if you like to analyze the crap out of your match video!

mahamoti
January 19th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Ouch. Bunch of mistakes at this match.

Stage 1: Stumbled out of the box in the first corner, then reloaded with a mag I hadn't topped off, forcing a standing reload. THEN hit the center popper twice w/o falling, gave up and called calibration, which of course knocked it over.
Stage 2: Actually shot this well, except for a Mike on a distant striped target.
Stage 3: Another Mike, trashing the classifier.
Stage 4: *Another* Mike, but still decent on the stage.
Stage 5: All Alphas, except for *another* damn popper that didn't fall.

Still shooting everything a little bit low... not sure if I'm flinching or if I need to change the front sight. Don't think I'm going to mess with it until I've got reloading worked out, and have a steady supply of the same ammo.

mahamoti
February 8th, 2014, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfU4CryV7wA

Good match put on by the folks in Biloxi.

3/18 (90.600%) Production
18/57 (64.5760%) Combined Overall

High points:

Moving targets
Um, I think that's it...

Low points:

Well, one low point is, the low points. 82.92% before penalties (all on the classifier)
One of my less graceful matches... lost count of the positions I fell out of
That classifier was awful. At least I didn't zero it, I guess? Might as well have.
Had to DQ someone for the first time

Ran Stage 1 through Shot Coach:

.17 avg splits, .38 avg transitions, 2.05 avg reload/move.

So, I'm dropping points shooting so fast, but that's obvious. Transitions are getting better, so I need to keep that while slowing down the splits, and getting better hits. And jeez, I still need to get into positions ready to shoot.

bayougump
February 9th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Some damn good camera work if I must say so myself. Yea the classifier sucked along with my .5 HF, lol

Sent from my Flux Capacitor

Fred_G
February 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Damn, good shooting! Looks like a lot of fun. How do you know which way to go, and what to shoot at? (obviously never seen this type of shooting except on the YouTube...)

mahamoti
February 9th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Damn, good shooting! Looks like a lot of fun. How do you know which way to go, and what to shoot at? (obviously never seen this type of shooting except on the YouTube...)

You are allowed to walk the stage ahead of time to make your plan. If you're interested, check uspsa.org for clubs near you, and go spectate a match. You'll learn a lot.

mahamoti
February 9th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Some damn good camera work if I must say so myself. Yea the classifier sucked along with my .5 HF, lol

Yep! Thanks for running camera for me. I used to put cameraman in the credits of my video, but it took too long to type in Karthik's last name.

bayougump
February 10th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Yep! Thanks for running camera for me. I used to put cameraman in the credits of my video, but it took too long to type in Karthik's last name.

LMAO!!!!

mahamoti
March 23rd, 2014, 02:21 PM
Almost didn't make it to this match at TPS; glad I did.

First ever Production win, but only because Jason's striker broke on the last stage. I'll still take it!

93.81% of the points before penalties. I seem to have found the A zone again. Cleaned a PPR for the first time ever.

My reloads need work, and I'm still going too hard into positions and falling out of boxes.

Speaking of reloads... shot my own loads for the first time this match, and everything ran swimmingly!

bayougump
March 23rd, 2014, 02:22 PM
You shot a good match buddy!!!

Sent from my flux capacitor

mahamoti
April 13th, 2014, 01:27 PM
OK, here we go! Start of the 2014 majors.

First up: Oilfield Classic.

I completed this match sitting 28th in Production, shooting 73.9% of the winner. My best major finish to date, and a steady improvement since my first major about a year ago.

Still, it was a comedy of errors on my part. I'm getting a little *too* jumpy on the trigger, and short stroking the 2nd shot on splits often. Not sure how I developed this habit, but it's something I need to correct, and soon. On stage 6, I did it on the last shot before a reload, and had started reaching for a mag before I realized it. Solution? Hell, fire one off strong hand... much to the enjoyment of my squad.

My best stage finish was 17th, on two stages. These didn't really come from speed as much as just settling down and shooting the points. Maybe a lesson to be learned? Not burning everything down might stop that trigger problem, too.

Only other "serious" error was failure to seat a mag on stage 2.

The match was fun overall, I had a great squad, and except for a lagging squad in front of us, it was run well. Thanks to everyone that made it happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLtf34o1bos

mahamoti
May 18th, 2014, 07:18 PM
So, I rebounded pretty well from Oilfield, and shot my best match to date at the MS Classic. Actually gripping the gun helps!

mahamoti
October 19th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Good match at EAPS today.

Stage 1 - Except for failing to seat a mag, I really like how this stage went. I was consciously trying to push the transitions, and it paid off.
Stage 2 - First stage of the day, off to a slow start. Plan could have been better, too.
Stage 3 - Turtles at 15yds with no-shoots are not my cup o' tea, apparently.
Stage 4 - Classifier - Calc says 72% or so. I ran this one at about my current limit. How to push past that, now...
Stage 5 - Paper was slow for some reason, but it was still a Production stage win for me. Others must have struggled on the PPR.

87% or so of the points before penalties, but stage 3 burned me there. All in all, I think I'm in a decent spot heading into Gator and Space City. Can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJKQlA8M2yc&feature=share

mahamoti
October 26th, 2014, 08:52 PM
2014 Gator in the bag. Great match, well run, no complaints!

Finished 17th Production, 3rd B, 4th State. Considering the competition, I'll take it.

Stages:

Left early on the last plate on the plate rack, finished 3 sec off the best times.
Missed popper slowed me down a bit here.
First shooter, first stage out the gate on the 2nd day. Failing to reset the trigger, shooting below my pace.
Goose egg. 3 Mikes'll do that to ya.
Had a decent run, ran dry on the steel array and left a plate on the star.
My best stage finish of the match, coming in 3rd overall. Need to find more of this in the future!
First stage of the match, a little slow on the transitions.
Recurring theme: Pulled off early from a popper, had to transition back.
Pulled off early from a popper *twice*.
Two inexplicable Mikes here. Must have been in too much of a hurry.
Foot fault last shot, though it was *really* close.
Failed to reset *and* pulled off early, cost some time, but still one of my better runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-y-kCTSps

jwglock
October 26th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Good match James. You've gotten a lot faster lately.

Fred_G
October 26th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Great shooting! Awesome! What gun and caliber were you shooting?

mahamoti
October 26th, 2014, 09:10 PM

Thanks man, chasing shooters like you pushes me to be better, there's no doubt about that. Congrats on State Champ!

Great shooting! Awesome! What gun and caliber were you shooting?

Thanks! It's a 9mm S&W M&P 9L.

Fred_G
October 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Love my M&P guns. You are rocking on the mag reloads. Need to practice my reloads.

spanky
October 27th, 2014, 09:02 PM

Yeah, what he said!

JBP55
October 27th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks man, chasing shooters like you pushes me to be better, there's no doubt about that. Congrats on State Champ!

Thanks! It's a 9mm S&W M&P 9L.

Does that statement mean Jason won and is the State Champion in the Production Division?

mahamoti
October 28th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Does that statement mean Jason won and is the State Champion in the Production Division?

That is correct! Section winners in Production were Jason, Bo, and Jeremy. I trailed Jeremy by 5 match points.

JBP55
October 28th, 2014, 06:06 AM
That is correct! Section winners in Production were Jason, Bo, and Jeremy. I trailed Jeremy by 5 match points.

Congratulations to all of you!

mahamoti
October 28th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Congratulations to all of you!

Thanks! I couldn't have lost to three better guys. They've all helped me along the way.

mahamoti
October 28th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I was really curious about this, so I had to check it out. These things happen, unfortunately.

Screencap of my Stage 11 foot fault:

http://i.imgur.com/gjjzkhR.jpg

bayougump
October 29th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I luckily didn't have a foot fault on stage 11. You shot great match James, I'll be chasing you for awhile, lol

mahamoti
November 9th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Wrapped up 2014 majors (all 4 of them) with the Space City Challenge. Better performance than Oilfield at the start of the year, and on par with how I shot the Gator. Finished 17th Production @81.49%, 3rd B.

Stages:

Classifier. Good time, "meh" points.
Failed to seat a mag, and ruined what could have been a decent run. Worst stage of the match for me.
A bit slow on transitions, but one of my better stages
Again, decent, but not "incredible"
Wheels fall off, lost balance, missed steel multiple times. Good thing I grabbed that extra mag.
Missed steel again, froze trigger on easy paper.
First stage of the match, good run, little slow.
Good run, poor points on IPSC targets.
Shirt tail got in the way of mags on belt, and now I'm watching it wondering why I went with that stage plan.
Slow transitions, make-up shots, lost balance again.
Best stage of the match, finishing 3rd overall.

So, 2 was a disaster, 5/6/9/10 looked pretty much like 7 months ago at Oilfield, 7/8/1/3/4 I was 10-15 overall and shooting like I *think* I should be shooting, and 11 I either shot amazingly, or everyone else tanked it. Now on to a training class, and prepping for 2015 matches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znUu7LrMLtI

mahamoti
March 30th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Finally got back to some shooting! First pistol match since November at Space City. Need to get some reload work done, quite a few of them were sloppy. Stage 2, I changed plan at the last second, and didn't consider reloads... really pushed the 180, when there wasn't a need to. Stage 3 was the best of my match, dropped very few points, but even there, reloads and hesitation on steel slowed me down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2LKz5uSAsY

mahamoti
September 21st, 2015, 08:02 AM
Shot the Oilfield Classic this past weekend. Finished 12th overall in Production, 82% of the winner. That was only good enough for 5th B, however... there were some dead ringers in B that are all A/borderline M class in other divisions.

It was a great match, and I shot it well (for me). 3 Mikes total, which combined wouldn't have even moved me to 11th.

Next up is Gator Classic!