.410 ammo for home-defense?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I have a Mossberg 500 .410 pump that sits in my closet, pretty much unused...

Even with the recent shortages of ammo for most primary calibers, I've noticed that the .410 shells pretty much go untouched on the shelves, at least here locally...

So, I got to thinking that since this ammo seems to be a little more readily available at the moment, maybe I should also stock up on .410 shells...

This is not my primary home defense weapon...it will just be a back-up of sorts...

With that said, what would be good to stock up on? 000, PDX1?

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Hickok45 has a pretty good video on youtube shooting a variety of loads in the judge revolver. I was pretty impressed with the Federal plated 000B. It got me thinkin a 410 pump gun loaded with those could be useful.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Buckshot is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser.

If you're gonna stash it by your front door, I'd load one or two buckshot on top and follow with slugs for some range.

Otherwise.....buckshot. Toujours buckshot.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    000 buck it is! Most of what I see advertised for. 410 for defense seems to be what was designed mainly to work in the short-barreled Judges

Like I said, this thing is far from being my primary weapon but since I have it might as well take advantage of it being there

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I'd stay away from the "judge" loads and PDX is a low vel load iirc. No sense shorting that .410 bore for what she's worth, and the recoil issue is pretty much mute with a .410. That being said, don't short a good 3" load of heavy shot either. If you're planning on using that strictly indoors (God forbid you ever have to) think about what your potential range would be. I'm betting its within 25 feet. It would behoove you to shoot a few loads of 4 shot at and within that range (outside of course) to see for yourself how big the spread is. If the spread is no more than 10 or 12 inches at 25 feet and dense enough, you might choose that over something that will fly through the walls at 1800 fps or so.
    I keep 2 shotties loaded (and my wife has a 20 full of 3 buck) my go to indoor gun stays full of 4 buck. Coming out of the 18.5 inch, cylinder bore mossy, it maintains an amazingly tight pattern within my indoor range limits. And it's actually a heavier load than 9 pellets of 00.
    My carry out shotty (590) stays loaded with 000 for the good ol' outdoors.

SendITDownRange

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    My Town
    Just about anything from bird shot to 3Buck is going to get the job done in a home defense situation "I pray no one has to".. I have seen bird shot even from a 410 do significant damage to 2X4 wood from a relative distance of 20 feet. With that information, I keep #4 in my 12ga just for over penetration purposes. my longest shot in my home would only be about 30 feet in what I would call a safe shot meaning I don't have fear of pellets going into another room an hurting someone all be it Family or Neighbor.

The PD1 for 410 has 3 disk similar or exactly like small slugs. I would fear over penetration and possible 1-2 slugs being off target and going through a wall or door. I think the FBI rates the #4 to the 00Buck to be the best methods for home self defense. You can do some research on your own and find statics for ballistics to make your own decision. I like the #4 It has a nice 12" pattern at 20 feet and would give me over penetration.

That is just my 2cc..

Top Bottom