Louisiana Union of Police Associations?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I dislike cold call solicitations so much we have a standing policy of not supporting anyone using those methods, legit or not. If cold calls were highly successful our phones would not stop ringing all day long.

abayham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Solicitations for the "Louisiana Union of Police Associations"

I know this is an old thread, but apparently the calls are starting up again because I got one last week and a Web search led me here. Did some research and posting my findings here for anyone else who's curious:

I got a call from a friendly but obviously well-trained solicitor. He basically slurred the name of the company he worked for, but made it clear he was calling for a contribution on behalf of the "Louisiana Union of Police Associations", which I had never heard of. He asked me to pledge a donation, and would then send me an envelope to complete the contribution as well as give me a sticker for my car. I politely declined, but later did some research after reading this article from WBRZ. Looked up the solicitation company, called Public Awareness, LLC out of Irving, TX, who is hired by the "Louisiana Union of Police Associations" to raise funds for the organization. I then pulled LUPA's tax Form 990 to see that of the $388k Public Awareness raised for them in 2014, only $88k (23%) went to the organization and the other 77% was kept by the solicitor ($300k!). And of the $88k eventually received by the organization, it seems only a tiny fraction is used in any beneficial way after subtracting management and fundraising expenses. Not to mention I still can't determine what LUPA actually does, because there's very little info online, and their Web site is an incomplete Wordpress mess. I also found it interesting that Public Awareness is listed on America's Worst Charities with an average of 11% of their contributions getting back to charities.

Like others here have said, if you want to support a group or cause, stay close to home and donate directly to the organization - not a solicitor!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have done this for about 50 years.

1. Answer phone.
    2. I take no solicitations by phone.
    3. Remove me from your list.
    4. Hang up.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I have done this for about 50 years.

1. Answer phone.
    2. I take no solicitations by phone.
    3. Remove me from your list.
    4. Hang up.

I streamlined it about 25 years ago by eliminating #2 and #3. I don't care if I'm just picking toe jam, my time on earth is too short to listen to solicitation calls. My phone is for my convenience, not theirs.

shenry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    Lafayette LA
    Donation

I am sending a donation to Louisiana Union of Police. Not sending as others are suggesting to a church or St. Jude. At this moment the Men In Blue and the Police Departments are in need of our help. They are out there risking their lives for us, and are in dire need of more advanced equipment to keep them safer. Churches and hospitals will not provide the help they are desperately needing right now. If you send just a little, it all helps our MEN IN BLUE!
    They are asking for a donation, before I send them anything do you know if they are legit?

Thanks

Top Bottom