Louisiana Union of Police Associations?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    My wife decided to donate like $25 dollars to them two years ago, both of our dads are former police officers so why not help them out. We are now getting non-stop calls from all sorts of "charities" and "associations" looking for money. Even after both her and I telling them we are not interested in donating again or that we don't want them to call back, they still do. If you want to help out, cool, but be ready for a barrage of phone calls afterwards.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Ask them;

1) How much of the donation goes to salary?

2) How much of the donation goes to fixed cost; i.e. remt, utilities, office expenses?

3) How much of the donation goes to marketing and solicitations?

4) Last but most important, How much goes to the "Scholarship Program" and/or families in need?

I asked these questions and he had a prepared spread sheet with the answers for people like me who wanna know.

The answer to No. 4 was; a minimum of 20%!:flamed:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    When they call, just say "No."

When they start jabbering, ask them what part of "No" they didn't understand.

There are legit charity rating organizations out there. See what they say.
    :ohreally:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I used to donate to the various Police Unions and State Trooper Associations . Then they started using fund raising organizations and I stopped . I understand that it's easier for them to do it that way but I don't want the majority of my donation to go to a 3rd party . Now , my donations mostly go to St. Jude's Hospital .

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    St. Jude's is a great recipient.

Locally, St. Vincent de Paul does great things for the citizens of Baton Rouge.

+1

Keep your $$ as close to home as possible. The amount you send to a local animal shelter will do a lot more for the fur butts than money sent to a national organization like SPCA.
    :ohreally:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Our union used to get 10% flat - 90% to the "fund raisers" who set up a phone bank in our union shop. Most were from NJ. Hope most are more legit than that.

Sounds about right.

There is an implication that you won't be ticketed if you have their sticker on your car.
    :eh:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Also ask how many officers are represented in Louisiana. All an organization needs is one member to begin calling for donations. They could sign up two or three disgruntled cops in Shreveport and start calling for donations in New Orleans.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    Our union used to get 10% flat - 90% to the "fund raisers" who set up a phone bank in our union shop. Most were from NJ. Hope most are more legit than that.

This is my major problem. I used to work with a guy named Mike. He left and went to work with a fundraiser on the north shore. On big drives they took 75%, on small drives they took 90% of the donations. I want to help the officers but I would like my donation to go to them not a phone bank. Thanks.

Deputy Marshal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2013
    Do not donate to anyone calling for money for police officers.

I just received a call from 337-334-6999 asking for me to donate to LUPA - Louisiana Union Police Officers Association. I've been in law enforcement for 24 years. When I started to ask questions on how much of my $100 donation would go to LUPA, he could not answer. That is because it is a very small percentage! Usually they say that they have to pay employees, phones, stamps, and rent, so the LUPA probably gets $5 off the hundred.
    If you want to help to a police association then find out who is the president of that association and hand deliver it to him. It's like any millage or taxes that are passed. The Government gives small raises to the struggling officers, and then goes up on there insurance. The rest of the good faith money you voted for police officers goes into a general fund for the government to spend for whatever.
    Officers do not give special treatment to people that have support stickers, so do not let them lie to you and say it will help you to have a support sticker on your windows.
    The best support you can give any officer is:
    "Saying, Thank You!"
    Thank you for Supporting your law enforcement!

They are asking for a donation, before I send them anything do you know if they are legit?

Thanks

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I just received a call from 337-334-6999 asking for me to donate to LUPA - Louisiana Union Police Officers Association. I've been in law enforcement for 24 years. When I started to ask questions on how much of my $100 donation would go to LUPA, he could not answer. That is because it is a very small percentage! Usually they say that they have to pay employees, phones, stamps, and rent, so the LUPA probably gets $5 off the hundred.
    If you want to help to a police association then find out who is the president of that association and hand deliver it to him. It's like any millage or taxes that are passed. The Government gives small raises to the struggling officers, and then goes up on there insurance. The rest of the good faith money you voted for police officers goes into a general fund for the government to spend for whatever.
    Officers do not give special treatment to people that have support stickers, so do not let them lie to you and say it will help you to have a support sticker on your windows.
    The best support you can give any officer is:
    "Saying, Thank You!"
    Thank you for Supporting your law enforcement!

^What he said. LUPA is basically FOP jr. Most large departments will have members who elect to join LUPA instead of FOP, or are members of both. Feel free to call Lafayette PD, ask who the Police union rep is, and make a donation directly to the organization instead of the call centers that call you.

Also as much as it pains me, it's true about the millages as well. I voted for it the last time we had one in Lafayette only because it was to go to support law enforcement, it passed, Law enforcement received the millage. The catch was the city/parish government decreased the PD budget by the same amount they received from the millage, so the PD actually received no extra money.

If you really want to donate to any organization always contact the organization directly.

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    hey guys while in high school i worked at a place called "Public Appeal" for a couple months mainly the hours were great for a high school student 6-9, untill i couldnt take it anymore but anyway i basically sat in front a 1980s computer screen pressed maybe 4 keys total and read a script over and over and over asking for donations for LUPA,fraternal order of police and a few others i made minimum wage and commish which equaled to about 14 and hour and this was before katrina which was great but like said above give ya money to someone else these people are legit but a lot of the money goes to the company and not the organizations its crazy i got a call not to long ago and while the guy was rehearsing his speech it immediately came back to me and i knew it word for word and i wanted to do him what a lot of people did me and hang up but i entertained the call and refused. The owner showed up a few times while i was there just long enough to pick up the office manager and go play golf.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    My wife decided to donate like $25 dollars to them two years ago, both of our dads are former police officers so why not help them out. We are now getting non-stop calls from all sorts of "charities" and "associations" looking for money. Even after both her and I telling them we are not interested in donating again or that we don't want them to call back, they still do. If you want to help out, cool, but be ready for a barrage of phone calls afterwards.

Same thing happened to us. We only donate to St. Jude's and OLOL Children's Hospitals now.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I donate to the LSEF - Local Strippers Educational Fund. I even deduct this from my taxes.....:pimp::pimp:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom