Norinco Mak 90 stock

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys, I'm purchasing my first AK this week and it is a Norinco Mak 90. I'm not a huge fan of the thumb hole stocks, so I was planning on switching it out. I've heard that the best replacements for these come from here http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html I've heard that along with the stock set, I need to make some other changes to make the AK legally compliant. I was hoping that y'all could either explain to me what I should do, or which route I should go. Like I said, I'm new to AKs, so I know little about them. Also, does anyone have a Mak 90 with a synthetic stock? Any help would be appreciated.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    I love my Mak90. The route I went to make it compliant was Ironwood furniture, a US disconnector, and I also run all my mags with US-made followers (Arsenal brand) and baseplates. Doing it like this allows you to keep the really good Chinese trigger group. You could also change out the gas piston but I chose the magazine mods so I could keep the gun as close to original as possible.

See this page: http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Last edited:

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Mak 90. That is why I figured I would go that route and modify it to my liking. I was planning on ordering the 4 piece furniture set from Ironwood and staining that. I believe that would count as 4 American pieces. So I would be left needing to add 2 more American made pieces to my AK for it to be compliant?

maadi47

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    zachary,la
    I use Rustoleum Cabernet color stain. Gives a nice red color to the wood. Or you can test Minwax Sedona red. There is always Amber Shellac. Any of these give a great appearance.

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maadi47, do you have any pictures of your furniture? I'm interested to see how it turned out. I actually just figured out that the Mak 90 is a straight cut receiver. From what I understand (which is very little), I should be able to use mostly all AK stocks (with minor modification?) compared to being extremely limited in a slant cut receiver. I'm wondering if this is true. I want to do all of the 922r compliance work myself to save money, but can anyone with a Mak 90 offer up some advice. Or if anyone in the Baton Rouge area wanted a free case of beer or something, I wouldn't mind the help. I liked Alex's idea of not changing the trigger group, but I'm not sure I feel like limiting myself to American magazines or having to change the followers in all of my nonAmerican magazines. I've read that I would be smart to get a Tapco G2 trigger. I will probably just do the Tapco G2 trigger (counts as 3 parts) and get a stock set (counts as 3 parts). Can someone verify that this would make my Mak90 922r compliant?

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Changing a mag follower is very simple and they're relatively inexpensive ($2.50-ish each). I'm going out on a limb and assuming you won't own 200 magazines so...yea.

I'd be happy to let you feel a stock G2 trigger and then feel a chinese stock trigger. Unless you get the g2 polished, you'll not want to get rid of your stock chinese trigger.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Uncheck everything you'll change out and you'll see if you're compliant or not. Note that you won't have a muzzle attachment so uncheck that. The law is you cannot have more than 10 imported parts on your AK. Do the furniture, the disconnector, and the mag followers and you're set.

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yea I see on KVAR.com or whatever that they have the mag follower and floor plate sets for around $5 a piece. I can order a set of 6 for about $30. That counts as 2. The furniture counts as 3. The disconnector would count as 1, but I'm not certain what you mean. Like I said, I'm new. What would it take for me to switch out the disconnector (i.e. what should I order that is a quality product)? Are you talking about a single spring that I could just replace with a US made spring? I'm sure I don't sound very intelligent, but I'm willing to admit when I'm not an expert in a particular area. I'm just trying to do this as affordable, as easy, and as quickly as possible.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    The disconnector is one of the 3 parts making up the Fire Control Group. Hammer, trigger, disconnector. What Alex says has merit, but my personal preference is to switch out all 3 in an AK so I don't have to worry about what mags I use. Of course I am talking Saigas (as usual) and not Mak90s that I have never owned.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-326US.html buy one of these. It's really easy to install. I'm sure there's a youtube vid out there showing it.

Buy your US furniture (ironwood, tapco, etc)

http://www.k-var.com/shop/MA7-001UB6.html Buy a 6-pack of these (or more) and install them in your magazines.

That's all you will need for your Mak90 to be compliant.

A lot of people seem to want to count the number of US parts on their rifle to be compliant but, if I recall correctly, that's not the law. The law states that you can't have more than 10 foreign parts. Depending on your AK, the number of US replacement parts may be more or less. Fortunately for the Mak90, that number is fewer than most others. Play around with that link I posted.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    A lot of people seem to want to count the number of US parts on their rifle to be compliant but, if I recall correctly, that's not the law. The law states that you can't have more than 10 foreign parts. Depending on your AK, the number of US replacement parts may be more or less. Fortunately for the Mak90, that number is fewer than most others. Play around with that link I posted.

Correct. Doesn't matter how many American parts you have, it is all about how many foreign parts you have when you are done. You have to stay at 10 or less. Very good compliance link BTW!

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The problem with that is that I don't know how many parts on the Mak are foreign. It just seems like the trigger is the easy way out. Also, it seems to be the cheapest compliant way to build the rifle. However, I'm buying the Mak because of the great reviews I've read about the gun, and among those reviews, the trigger is highly touted. I think I'm going to get the ironwood set, the disconnector, and both the mag followers and floor plates to make sure it's compliant. I've actually read that the tapco AK mags are great, so that takes out the need for followers and plates. Alex, where could I find a US made disconnector? I'm going to order all of my stuff tomorrow so I can build my AK to my liking next week. Until my followers come in, I'm just going to buy a couple Tapco mags. I really appreciate the help. I'm wondering once I figure out which disconnector to order, if it will be easy to replace. I want to make sure this is something I can do myself. I know I can handle the furniture, but I'm worried about the disconnector and the magazine modifications.

dhebe37

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sorry I didn't see that first link you posted. I'm probably going to go the route you suggested. It sucks that I don't have a Paypal account because that makes it difficult to order from Ironwood. Plus KVAR takes 4 weeks to ship and I'm impatient haha.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    try buying us palm magazines and ironwood furniture and it should be good to go. Check out the reviews on the mags. very will rated. I have several for my stamped poly-tech mak 90. I do find them a little tight on my milled arsenal…but the thumb hole stock on it is tolerable.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    My knowledge of 922R and to what/how it applies is slim. Help me out here. I thought the MAK90 was imported before the Sept. 13, 1994 922R compliant crap went into effect. If a MAC90 is unmolested it should be GTG? Correct? Now I totally understand getting rid of the butthole stock idea. But I also like the idea of an unmolested MAC90 for investment purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom