Caught the FAL Fever

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Hello all, I recently decided to expand my collection into the 7.62x51 area. So of course the FAL, G3, M14 question came up in my head with the end answer being:
    I'll eventually get examples of all 3.
    But I decided I want a FAL first and I've realized I'm very late to the parts kit party. (I realize they're not as available as they used to be)

In browsing everything I've kind of fallen for the Inch pattern, L1A1 SLR rifles.

A few questions about building/having them built:

1. I notice many really like the Metric patterned rifles, are the Inch pattern any more difficult to put together?
    2. I know the basic differences between Inch and Metric designs, but can the open eared Inch sight protectors be put on a Metric somehow (the more light the better)
    3. If I somehow manage to get a decent Inch L1A1 parts kit, I noticed most have a receiver with buttstock with them,(I've no idea if they're original or not) can you use that receiver or do you need to get a US made one? If so does anyone make US Inch pattern receivers?

Any other tips / pointers would be appreciated.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Yes there are open ear versions of the metric FAL.....most common are the BGS rifles and the Argentine......and then the early Izzy also had an open ear as well.....
    The Inch receivers are a bit more troublesome to come by, but DSA is offering the Aussie receiver in full inch version and Coonan is offering the British in the full inch version WITH custom serial numbers.
    The Inch mags are about 10 to 15 bucks more expensive than the metrics......early imbel receivers can be found with the inch folding charging handle cuts, inch dust cover cuts and METRIC mag wells.....

As far as the butt stock with receiver.....remember the lower on a FAL/SLR is NOT the registered "RECEIVER" it is the UPPER on a FAL that is the registered part......most complete kits will come with all furniture.

As far as assembly, they are basically the same with no real issues other than a breeching washer required for the inch when timing the barrels......

I think that pretty much addresses all your questions....

KT

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks very much kajuntriton, looks like I'll have to start hunting for a kit on GunBroker and give DSA a call about a receiver. (can't believe I mixed up the upper/lower) Coonan's wait is about 6 months atm, anyone have any idea about a DSA wait at the moment? I wish Sarco still had FAL kits.

Last edited:

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Damn, I was kind of looking forward to securing a parts kit. Guess I'll try to e-mail an admin. Can't seem to find the contact information for one.

Are GunBroker and the Fal Files marketplace the only sources for L1A1 / SLR parts kits these days?

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Damn, I was kind of looking forward to securing a parts kit. Guess I'll try to e-mail an admin. Can't seem to find the contact information for one.

Are GunBroker and the Fal Files marketplace the only sources for L1A1 / SLR parts kits these days?

PM me your user name and e-mail that you registered with on the FALFILES, I will help you out.
    Sarco does have about 200 ARGY kits remaining, some match some do NOT, give them a call and ask to speak with SPENCER, he should be able to help you....I think they still have a few COONAN ARGY receivers in stock as well....again ask Spencer. Yes just for the record, the ARGY kits do have to use the ARGY receiver or a MODIFIED receiver that was not cut for the Argentine lower.....

KT

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks KT, I'll do that. Hopefully they have Argy's with open ears but if not, it's not such a deal closer as I'm just looking forwards to getting my first one together.

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, I'm good now, I appreciate everyone that spoke up for me and helped me get access. I'm looking forward to this build and everything involved. Also that's an awesome snoopy with a FAL picture.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It's Japanese written in romaji which is a phonetic rendering using roman letters rather than one of the native Japanese writing forms. "Even monkeys fall out of trees".

I'd be sorely disappointed if a monkey fell out of a tree with an FAL and didn't land on his feet. :D
    That would indicate a failure of the monkey to properly channel the power of the FAL.

I find myself pulling out the STG more often than anything else lately and buying Austrian mags even though I don't really need any more. May have to start looking for a G1 to counteract this fascination with the STG.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I find myself pulling out the STG more often than anything else lately and buying Austrian mags even though I don't really need any more. May have to start looking for a G1 to counteract this fascination with the STG.

Well here are a couple of my G1's maybe this might light a spark.....Here are 2 of my G1's One is (w/DSA G1 receiver) KG GunKote HK Black over park, refinished by Pat Jones. And the Butt Stock is one that was included with the BGS kits from APEX that was cleaned and caressed by the master.... BLUE MONSTER
    The other is a ALL numbers matching G1 on Coonan numbers matching G1 receiver, refinished by Tcustoms.llc here local to BS.com in Dura Coat HK Black.....

COONAN all matching numbers G1 also has the last 3 serial numbers stamped into the butt stock as well....so this was an original complete parts kit....

Anyway... here are the pics.....

Right is Dura Coat, Left is Gun Kote over park.....
    DSC01048.JPG

DSC01047.JPG

DSC01046.JPG

DSC01045.JPG

Closest is Gun Kote

DSC01044.JPG

DSC01043.JPG

DSC01042.JPG

DSC01040.JPG

DSC01037.JPG

KT

Last edited: