Contacts for astigmatism

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • allemanp

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Cecilia, LA
    Next time ask your optometrist to trial fit biofinity toric. These are the best toric soft contact lenses on the market today. They are the most stable torics available, meaning that they will not rotate when you blink causing you to lose focus. For shooters specifically, the lenses have aspheric optics which help to neutralize aberrations, providing crisper and sharper vision which will be a big bonus when using red dots and other optics. Lastly, comfort is second to none in these lenses. Only issue is that they can sometimes be tough to remove due to their high water content and stability, but your optometrist can show you removal methods that will make removal quite easy. If you are guessing, I am the louisiana rep for these lenses, and an active marksmen. Hope this helps

allemanp

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Cecilia, LA
    Just an update
    Got some contacts set in mono vision, the doc either misunderstood what I wanted as far as each eye, or just did what she wanted, she set my dominant for distance and non for close! I tried it and it doesn't work! Also me and contacts don't get along, their not bad putting in, or wearing, but taking them out was an hour job! My eyes would be raw after getting them out, missing fingers on one hand doesn't help in getting them out either!
    So I've given up on contacts and just went with glasses

Mono vision will definitely be a challenge when shooting, as you use your dominate eye to shoot, but your contact les is now designated to see further your optic requires. You would most likely be much happier with a multifocal lens for shooting, as multifocal lenses will allow you to still have near and intermediate vision, which is dictated by pupil dilation and retraction. When your pupil would constrict in a multifocal when you look through your optic, you would be focusing through an add power, similar to using "cheater glasses". Should work well for what you are needing.

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Hey guys/gals,

Not to hijack this thread - informative - but does anyone know of a 'shooting' knowledgeable eye doctor in Metairie area?

Not sure how knowledgeable my current one is. Prefer someone who actually shoots.

I have astigmatism (1 eye?) though my overall eye sight is not too bad.

First tried contacts in the '80s (glass, didn't like them at all) second was around 2002 (soft, permeable). Wearing them was fine the second time I tried but had MAJOR issues getting them in no matter how I tried.

Never shot a gun with either contact.

Also have a MAJOR issue with glare. Guess that makes me a 'new age sensitive male'.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

allemanp

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Cecilia, LA
    Dr. Terrel McGinn is an avid shooter. He's at eye care associates in Metarie. There has been tremendous advancements in contact lenses in the last 5 years. You should have a very different experience now versus 2002.

Last edited:

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    Dr. Terrel McGinn is an avid shooter. He's at eye care associates in Metarie. There has been tremendous advancements in contact lenses in the last 5 years. You should have a very different experience now versus 2002.
    Allemanp,

Many thanks for the lead.

Happy shootin'!

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I went with glasses with my dominant eye set on my front sight, and distance on my other, works great for pistol but not so much with rifle when you go to support side

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I didn't choose my parents carefully and inherited some rotten eyesight. Myopic, astigmatic, and probably a couple other .pics and .tics. 20/200 on left and 20/300 on right. Oh, I'm also cross-dominant.

After eyeglasses since age 7, rigid gas perm contacts for several years, and simply fighting it I gave up. Gave up in the form of laser surgery. First two docs wouldn't touch me I was so bad. Through a roundabout way got in touch with Frank Garcia with the Universal Shooting Academy in Florida. He had surgery with Dr. Steven Dell in Austin, TX. Did my research and found that his clients are typically high profile. NASA astronauts, military snipers, special forces, military and civilian pilots. Got it. Did a consult and told them what I do. They got it instantly. They said they will get me good from outstretched fingertips and out. Enough to see the front sight yet keep the target within semi-focus.

Procedure is known as PRK. Short version of the procedure is a solution removes the top three cell layers of the cornea. Laser goes in and does a few hundred zaps. A clear contact is applied to act as a bandage. Otherwise the pain is a solid 9 out of 10. The cornea is one of the fastest healing body parts. Takes about a week to get healed. Contacts come out. You are out of the shooting sports for 3 months to give your eyes every chance of healing properly. When you come back to the range you will have to relearn all of your visual clues. In the shotgun sports I could actually see the shot string on its way to the bird. In the handgun sports I was seeing holes appear in the targets. Really messed with my head for a while. Took about 6 months to get 100%.

If you are over 40 there is one thing you can't get away from. Readers. Presbyopia is a fact of life. Accept it move on.

My surgery was over 5 years ago. Just had a checkup last December. 20/20+ which means I nailed all of the 20/20 characters and a couple of the 20/15 characters. Still cool from fingertips on out. However if I wear 1.25 readers the front sight of handguns is just super crisp but I lose a bit too much target fidelity for my taste. I'll take the ever so slightly fuzzy front sight to still be able keep the target in semi-focus. In shooting High Power with iron sights to 600yd the front sight is far enough away that it is sharp. Focus on that and let the target go a bit fuzzy. My vision isn't holding me back, reading the wind is.

It wasn't cheap. $5000 which included all the follow ups. Best money I've ever spent and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom