Corrosion Testing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Thought this was pretty cool and wanted to share: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103924

He used different gun lubes on a bunch of metal pieces, then let them sit in the weather occasionally spraying them with salt water to see which lubes protected against corrosion better than others.

x4NVdUX.jpg

BI6tQKp.jpg

After 7 days here were the results:

zFh9NyE.jpg

The top 4 were:

u3zdxt3.jpg

He kept the stuff out for a while without recoating with the lube and pretty much everything rusted although the Eezox still looked the best: http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1301641&postcount=128

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Cool test. Keep in mind though, in a world of products trying to do the job of several, corrosion resistance is only one characteristic. In other words, the best products at corrosion resistance could easily be the worst lubricant. Consider the use of the product before running out and buying anything. If I had a gun I planned on treating with something for storage, looks like Eezox is the best choice. It would be way down the list if I was looking for a lubricant though.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Cool test. Keep in mind though, in a world of products trying to do the job of several, corrosion resistance is only one characteristic. In other words, the best products at corrosion resistance could easily be the worst lubricant. Consider the use of the product before running out and buying anything. If I had a gun I planned on treating with something for storage, looks like Eezox is the best choice. It would be way down the list if I was looking for a lubricant though.

+1. Can't say much more than that.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

This.

45auto

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 12, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    What are the chances that the 4 best all happened to end up on the same corner of the board?

4/33 x 4/33 x 4/33 x 4/33 = .0002

In other words, about 1 out of 5000.

It would be interesting to see how repeatable his test is.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington

Well the thread wasn't called lubrication testing. I figured people on this forum were smart enough to figure out it was for corrosion testing but who knows there are some real gems here.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I never had any corrosion issues with any of my guns (50+ years) but I believe in preventive maintenance and I never left them in the weather for days while spraying salt water on them.
    If I carried a gun while working in the ocean I would choose my gun wisely and clean/lube it daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom