Anyone ride dual sport bikes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If anyone is looking to get rid of a DRZ400 let me know.
    We are trying to ride as much of the TAT as possible. Can only do it in sections though. We did meet some guys from South Africa that were riding the whole trail.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I haven’t been on a motorcycle since I quit riding them for work but y’all are killing me. I would love to get one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    It would be cool to organize a BS weekend ride somewhere. Offroad,onroad, anywhere!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I haven’t been on a motorcycle since I quit riding them for work but y’all are killing me. I would love to get one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You should! They are a blast you can find some good deals on the KLR650. There are guys gettin some serious miles out of that platform. One guy has over 100K miles on his. Ive only owned my 2008 for a short amount of time but is has almost 20K on it...it runs like a top. It leads me to believe its just getting broken in after reading this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1BeEaKmN5LsPbzqMcgIu2x&cshid=1530365589648

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Do it before you are too old and feeble. That's why they give ya vacation time, Mag!

Yeah you right, but that’s a few years yet. I’ve owned a good many bikes over the years, primarily dirt bikes and sport bikes, but I rode a buddy’s Husky this spring and got the fever for one. Dang that thing is a beast.

sevenpt62

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    hammond, la
    I don’t have a dual sport bike but if y’all do something off road I would love to join y’all with my xr250r. I’m still too nervous to ride around vehicles after seeing horrible drivers everywhere.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I don’t have a dual sport bike but if y’all do something off road I would love to join y’all with my xr250r. I’m still too nervous to ride around vehicles after seeing horrible drivers everywhere.

I operated motorcycles both on the road and dirt for 30 years. I sold my last Harley in Feb 2009, my last ride. Had 2 friends killed, no fault of their own, and two more seriously injured all in separate accidents. The game changed drastically after Katrina and smart phones.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I operated motorcycles both on the road and dirt for 30 years. I sold my last Harley in Feb 2009, my last ride. Had 2 friends killed, no fault of their own, and two more seriously injured all in separate accidents. The game changed drastically after Katrina and smart phones.

Jeez... It's a risk, that it truly is. But it's one that I am willing to put up with.

Also sevenpt62 you can plate that bike for dirt use... I have an XR400R that is plated for street that is actually not running (or together) that I did right before deploying there are ways.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Jeez... It's a risk, that it truly is. But it's one that I am willing to put up with.

Here is a perfect example, occurred 7 days ago. Guy age 27 riding from NO to BR where he's from, on I-10 just before Laplace, @1530. Minding his business and a speeding truck runs him over from behind. Now he is dead.
    My high school friend died in a similar occurrence 9/11/2014, on the I-10 east high rise @ approx 0200. Mark Mattei, a very experienced and seasoned operator (30+ years).

People texting/reading/putting on makeup (women in the morning) while driving 70/80 mph........see it too frequently.

dude from BR: https://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2018/06/four-vehicle_wreck_on_i-10_in.html

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Here is a perfect example, occurred 7 days ago. Guy age 27 riding from NO to BR where he's from, on I-10 just before Laplace, @1530. Minding his business and a speeding truck runs him over from behind. Now he is dead.
    My high school friend died in a similar occurrence 9/11/2014, on the I-10 east high rise @ approx 0200. Mark Mattei, a very experienced and seasoned operator (30+ years).

People texting/reading/putting on makeup (women in the morning) while driving 70/80 mph........see it too frequently.

dude from BR: https://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2018/06/four-vehicle_wreck_on_i-10_in.html

Yep, my riding style keeps me away from major roads most of the time. If you become afraid of every danger in life you would be a paranoid shut in. You do what you need to do to make you happy and make a living. You accept risks but take steps to mitigate risk. I have seen more on a motorcycle than I would ever in a cage... I ride because it is what makes me. I have gone 8 months off the bike in ready to be back.

sevenpt62

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    hammond, la
    Yep, my riding style keeps me away from major roads most of the time. If you become afraid of every danger in life you would be a paranoid shut in. You do what you need to do to make you happy and make a living. You accept risks but take steps to mitigate risk. I have seen more on a motorcycle than I would ever in a cage... I ride because it is what makes me. I have gone 8 months off the bike in ready to be back.
    Hey now don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to ride on the streets. When I was getting to driving age all I wanted was a bike and I was really into them. I’ve just seen so many bad accidents that I just keep deciding not to. I do give major props to people who ride though it’s just a chance I’m not sure I wanna take with two young girls I have to raise. Just recently I’ve been trying to convince myself not to get a dual sport or a supermoto lately because I hate seeing all of these nice country highways on the northshore that look perfect for cruising.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Hey now don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to ride on the streets. When I was getting to driving age all I wanted was a bike and I was really into them. I’ve just seen so many bad accidents that I just keep deciding not to. I do give major props to people who ride though it’s just a chance I’m not sure I wanna take with two young girls I have to raise. Just recently I’ve been trying to convince myself not to get a dual sport or a supermoto lately because I hate seeing all of these nice country highways on the northshore that look perfect for cruising.

That is being a responsible father, good on ya. Plenty good roads around the north shore. Hwy 40 is one of my favs. And Blond LA, one stop sign town. Although now it might be a signal light :)

And I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I don't miss it BIG TIME, because I do. I have not operated a motorcycle since Feb 2009, but I still have my cycle endorsement.
    The master plan was to move to NE TN, small town and leisurely tour the Smokies, among other things. Just didn't work out for me.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I rode every week 3-4 times back and forth from Metairie { parents home } to Picayune to my place. Or to Hattiesburg where my girl was in school. Did total one here in Metairie, where some idiot just ran right over me.
    Sorry about ya friend. I think I knew him years ago. Did he run a bike shop in New Orleans east Mark Mattei, AKA Mattei Cycles? Small shop right off the service road?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I rode every week 3-4 times back and forth from Metairie { parents home } to Picayune to my place. Or to Hattiesburg where my girl was in school. Did total one here in Metairie, where some idiot just ran right over me.
    Sorry about ya friend. I think I knew him years ago. Did he run a bike shop in New Orleans east Mark Mattei, AKA Mattei Cycles? Small shop right off the service road?

Thanks. That was his cousin Chuck. Mark owned and operated Delta Auto Wreckers on Airline Hwy, just west of David Drive, in Jefferson parish. His father Pete started the business way back, like 45+ years ago. Chuck drag raced motorcycles for many years and had his shop in NO east. Mark and his family know a lot of people in the motorcycle community, all of them ride, including Pete, or did. Dirt, street, drag bikes. Mark and I went to high school together, senior year only @ East Jefferson High and remained friends until he passed.

Sounds like you covered quite a few miles via a motorcycle. Low cost transportation, and fun!

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Until 2005 I had a smaller bike a 500 silver wing no extras. Just the bare bike. I logged 8000 mile a year on it was 48 miles per gal. Shaft, water cooled, slow smooth power.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Mine was a 81 burgundy no dress up package. So it looked just like Gold Wing with no dress up. I got it new in crate in 83. As it was a left over cheap. As the 83 was a 650gl same way. Full dressed or stripped. It got great gas mileage. And was so much nicer than the Katana it replaced. Keep in mind I was 135 pounds. So the Katana was crazy. The Mattie guy said get ride of it if I wanted to live. Before I could sell it somepne8stole it out of Goog old New Orleans. They took 5 hours to come and finally called and said they were not. Insurance paid and grabbed the Honda. The katana was total rebuild then stolen. So when I tried to put the Honda with them they laughed at me.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I just got some fresh meats on the pig. Metzeler Karoo 3.

Anyone riding lately?

y3tpLSs.jpg

N77H6zg.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom