Anyone ride dual sport bikes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevinLSU

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    CenLA
    I got a 2013 Yamaha XT250 the other day. I haven't ridden in 20 years and am looking forward to taking it to Camp Claiborne. Anyone else riding dual sport? Tips on trails, etc?

2moo9za.jpg

24drih2.jpg

att1d4.jpg

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    That looks like a great site,... I guess I am going to troll around over there for awhile. I just got 2 Yamaha TW200 for the wife and I. I have not ridden in 30 years and she has never ridden but, I have never let something like that stop me before.:rofl: But seriously I can't wait to get her learned up so we can do some tooling around on the country roads. The green one is the official BOB "bug-out-bike"

tw200 002.jpg3E83Ka3H95G85E35Hccce59e49f196d08197f.jpg

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Check out ADVRider http://advrider.com/forums/
    It will help you become a better rider, understand your machine, feed your addictions and compete with your extra money that you use for firearm stuff.
    I haven't explored the Alexandria area as I am in SE LA. Arkansas has an abundance of areas to ride and unlike LA not all of it is controlled by hunting clubs.
    I'm not the best rider but I do know how to make a splash!

A little too clean for my taste but it was a glamour shot.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Does anyone know how hard it is to get registration, tags and inspection on a dirt bike that could be converted to dual sport?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Not certain. Some states are checking the model and will not do it. Somehow I doubt that LA would do that. Call DMV and ask. FWIW do some research and make sure your bike has the electrical system to operate 12 volt DC lights.
    Does anyone know how hard it is to get registration, tags and inspection on a dirt bike that could be converted to dual sport?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Lefty......Are you starting a "napping bike" contest? I could run with you on that. I wish I could ride as well as my dog thinks I can.
    #1 Black Bear in CO. Broken clutch lever. Made for a fun day down and thru Telluride.
    #2 Corkscrew in CO. Very nicely bruised calf but most importantly no bike damage.
    #3 Friends yard. Dumb Azz missed line by me. Broken Brittanica windshield. Screw it. I'll ride her naked.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I've gone through a few dual sport bikes over the years, but here's a photo of my current trusty steed.

Me and another buddy just came back from the Arkansas 500 out of Eureka Springs a few weeks back.

Here's my current trusty steed, a '12 KTM 690 in a badly overexposed photo:

IMG_8044.jpg

Dirty

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    Love my 06 DRZ 400 S! In a pinch I even rode it to Montgomery AL and back From Shreveport LA! Knobby tires and loaded with 75 lbs, Great Bike.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DRZ Loaded.jpg
      DRZ Loaded.jpg
      100.5 KB · Views: 140
    • IMG_8961 2.jpg
      IMG_8961 2.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    1) MSR Dragonfly Fuel Bottles work awesome as emergency fuel reserve (my bike does not have gas gauge). They have three different sizes, I believe they are lifetime warranty also.

2) Hitch mounted MX carriers work awesome, just buy the hitch anti sway device. My wife will not pull a trailer so this was a nice option. They have a bunch on the market now.

3) Your bike looks lighter than mine and mine is really vulnerable to cross winds or big vehicles on highway, hold on to those handle bars!!!!

4) If you plan on riding 60 + mph for long periods you could look into a small windshield, they help a lot.

Nice bikes guys, I was really surprised Louisiana does not have more dual sports on the road.

attachment.php

DevinLSU

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    CenLA
    Thanks for the tips. I just got a Wolfman tank bag and tail bag. Do any of you guys ride around Central Louisiana?

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    No, i road my bike to your neck of the woods once to buy a truck. Loaded the bike in the back and drove the truck home. Get out and ride, you'll see the "Enduro" riders. You have a nice off road park near there don't you?

LeftyDiego

Lefty Diego
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    West of the Pecos
    Lefty......Are you starting a "napping bike" contest? I could run with you on that. I wish I could ride as well as my dog thinks I can.

My bike got tired and decided to nap in Big Bend National Park on both Old Ore Road on the rocks and the sand on River Road.
    The only damage was a cracked faring and bent crash bar. I did a ride around Junction Texas and went done coming out of a creek crossing. We had five of eight riders go down that day. Three on water crossings and two on rocks and gravel. Here are a few more pics:

Water crossing claimed a KTM. We were trying to get it restarted:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom