.410 / .45LC question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Someone on another thread was discussing the Springfield M6. I know the judge and a few others can shoot .45LC and .410 interchangeably. Could you shoot cowboy loads of .45LC in a .410 shotgun? I know full power may be too much... but what about light loads?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Now I'm just talking out of my ass here, but I think someone said that the 45LC was too big for a standard 410 and wouldn't fit. I THINK that the 410 shells fit loosely in a judge for that reason. I also think that's why cheaper 410 shells will sometimes lock up a judge, because the brass bulges out too much filling that extra space? I may have it backwards though.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    That would not be a good idea either. 45 colt & 410 operate around 12,000 psi, 41 mag is around 40,000 if I remember correctly.
    Stick to using 410 shotshells in 410 shotgun

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    When I was much younger, we experimented with a Revelation (Western Auto store brand) 410 shotgun, it was a single shot, bolt action and fairly new then . We had half a box of Remington 45 colt, the old fashioned swaged lead bullet with the tiny flat spot and hollow base. Because of the soft lead , hollow base and low pressure loading , we shot up all 25 rounds and were no worse the wear for it. Accuracy was about what you would expect from a smooth bore. Lousey...slugs grouped a little better.

I've got a 41 magnum and would never shoot one in it...way to much pressure for the likes of a shotgun, even a bolt action. but even being a bolt action it had no locking lugs on the bolt...just the root of the bolt handle locked it up. I don't remember any chambering difficulties but the bolt could have helped them seat and being single-shot thier were no feeding problems.

Gary

Last edited:
    Top Bottom