Help with Weatherby rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Hey guys, I am in need of some help. I have a Weatherby Mark V 300 Wby Mag that was made in West Germany, and if any of yall are familiar with them some of them had 1 in 12 twist barrels on them, I am wanting to shoot 180gr. and larger in it and I am aware that will require a rebarreling job. Does anyone know a gunsmith that has dealt with rebarreling Weatherby rifle and a need an approximate price range of what it would cost. Don't want the cheapest but don' want the most expensive. The gun is just a hunting rifle not a benchrest rifle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    With all my experience with 30 cal rifles, a 1 in 12 twist doesn't like to shoot anything heavier than 150 gr. That is one reason why a lot of barrels on 30 cal rifles is 1 in 10 twist. I am having the problem of my gun not liking anything over 150 gr. I reload all my ammo and have tried 165, 180, and 200gr. projectiles and have not had any luck. Have tried about 30 different loads with different powder, primers and projectiles. Bad thing is my gun likes the cheap Speer 150 gr BTHP.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Why would you want to shoot anything larger than 180gr. There are only a few bullet choices larger than 180gr in a 30 cal. bullet.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    I want to stretch the round a little further and reach out to about 300 to 400 yds, and I want a heavier bullet than 150gr. If anyone is wondering why I want to stretch is because I can hunt on powerlines and pipelines and don't want to have to shoot only my 308. Want a little more power out there.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Yeah I know the 200 gr drops more than the 150 gr at 300 yds. There is another reason I want to be able to shoot the heavier bullets. I am wanting to take this particular rifle on an elk hunt and i would feel more comfortable shooting a 180 or 200 gr bullet at an animal that big at a distance of 200+ yds. Yes I do understand that a 150 gr would probably do the job just fine but I like to know that have that little larger round flying down range.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Yeah I know that I could buy a brand new rifle but I am attached to this one. I have taken deer, pigs, coyotes, and even crows with it. I have had it since I was 12. Don't want to just set it aside for another rifle. BTW it is fun to see the crows blow up with a 150 gr Ballistic Tip.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Peter... go to Jims and ask for Mr.Pete, tell him the Weatherby 30-378 guy sent you. These guys dont realize you have a 2000 dollar rifle, not a vanguard, Yes you will have probs with the JP Sauer Barrels shooting anything over 150's, Speak to Pete and he will get you strait. Prolly gonna run you around 4-5 bills for a good setup sporter barrel w/porting.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Well if you arent shooting over 1000 yrds, i cant say youll see much except for drop change, and its not huge. I use to shoot a 300 up to 1500 yrds and the large differences i see beyond 1000 yrds. My 30-378 is my baby, it has alot done to it. I also shoot the .257 WBY , both mine are Custom Accumarks.

Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Well if you arent shooting over 1000 yrds, i cant say youll see much except for drop change, and its not huge. I use to shoot a 300 up to 1500 yrds and the large differences i see beyond 1000 yrds. My 30-378 is my baby, it has alot done to it. I also shoot the .257 WBY , both mine are Custom Accumarks.

You should start a long range club and mentor a few of us newbs :D

Could be fun :)

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    You should start a long range club and mentor a few of us newbs :D

Could be fun :)

Doing it and teaching it are very different, there are a few master distance shooters here more qualified than me, Get them to set that up, im sure it would definately be fun and educational at least. Id enjoy attending.

The way i shoot is probably alot different from the "instructional" , "proper" or "acceptable" manner as i was taught by my father, and he was taught by his, things like shooting between the heartbeat and half breath holds arent taught alot anymore in classes from what i hear. The first lesson i was ever given in Long Range shooting included me a few boxes of ammo, a scoped rifle and a spare tire with a target in it @ 50 yrds as it rolled down a hillside. when i was able to fire 5 rounds into the 16" target as it moved, then i was allowed to shoot targets and game over 100yrds and running game. Sound easy? try it sometimes,lol.

Nah id be a pain in the ass, cuz id have to be just as cruel,lol.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    If you don't mind me asking, where do shoot 600+yds? The reason I am asking is because I lost the place I had to shoot those long yds.

Last edited:

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Around here there is i believe one 1000yrd range in the northwest part of the state, and theres Palo Alto near Donaldsonville thats up to 600yrds. Me i usually just go for a week our to NRA Whittington center and rent one of their cabins and spend the week shooting. Its awesome there and very affordable, well worth the trip for any serious shooter. If you havent been... then definately go! for 30 bucks a nite you can rent a private cabin for you and your family or friends or stay at the very nice dorms for only 12 a nite, the dorms have complete kitchens and everything, very very nice, big screen tvs and all. The place has a range for every type of shooting discipline and awesome clays setups, all can be used with your membership that is only about 40 a year.

Im planning a trip out there in about a month or so if anyone wants to take a week off, its a 1.5 day drive and 4 days shooting then 1.5 days back, so 1 week but ill guarantee youll never find a more awesome place to shoot. Cost per person would be about 200 bucks plus ur ammo and targets.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Peterf225,

You should have no problem shooting up to a 200 gr bullet with a 1:12" twist. If your rifle isn't shooting them, you might look at another rifle problem or possibly after all of these years your .300's barrel is worn out. A high velocity and overbore cartridge like a .300 Weatherby's barrel will last only about 1500 rounds. Less if you shoot it much when the rifle barrel is really hot. You are on the right track with the heavy bullets for long range and, although you don't need a 200 gr Accubond for deer, it would be a pretty good elk bullet as would the 200 gr Partition. A 165 or 180 Ballistic Tip will work quite well for deer. I have a .300 Jarrett (which is quite similar to a .300 Weatherby) with a 1:12" twist barrel. It shoots the 165 BT and the 200 gr Partition extremely well. You might find that the 200 Partition shoot better than the 200 Accubond in the 1:12" because it is shorter in length (the longer a bullet is the faster twist you need to spin it). Speaking of spin, the .308 Win typically comes with a 1:12" and it will shoot 190gr BTHP match bullets that will stay stable to at least 1000yds. With its higher velocity (an thus higher RPMs) the Weatherby should certainly stabilize a bullet at least as long as the 190 Sierra Matchking. 200 gr bullets should not be a problem.

On another note, I wouldn't take AK Shooter's advice on long range too seriously as it doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. A 150 in a .30 isn't a long range bullet (although 300 yds isn't a problem) and drop tables are not what you should look at when you are trying to figure out which cartridge or bullet is better for long range shooting. You are on the right track, but it isn't your barrel twist that is the problem (unless the actual twist is slower than 1:12). It could just be your particular barrel has some quirky thing about not liking heavy bullets (it happens). Or maybe you haven't found the right load. Reloader 22 works well in my .300. If you haven't tried it, perhaps you might.

Dan

Top Bottom