Amateur Radio !!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Are there still 2 meter repeaters available in Baton Rouge? I assume that you need some sort of membership to access them. Does anyone know who to contact about that? I know that once upon a time there was autopatch but I assume that cell phones have made that obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Are there still 2 meter repeaters available in Baton Rouge? I assume that you need some sort of membership to access them. Does anyone know who to contact about that? I know that once upon a time there was autopatch but I assume that cell phones have made that obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome to talk on our 2 meter repeater. All licensed hams are welcome. It's located in Jackson on the tower at DCI. It has good coverage. I've talked on it from New Iberia to east of New Orleans out of my truck. https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=22&ID=9837

And we have a 6 meter repeater on the same tower and you're welcome to use it too.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=22&ID=16276

Our club has a 2 meter net every Wed. at 8pm everyone welcome to check in.

Last edited:

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    Nice to see some fellow hams here. I spend most of my time on my 2 meter mobile.

Mike - NØMJH

Is it absurd to assume that during an unusually large scale disruptive event the feds, state, etc might take unfair advantage of an individual with an FCC license and high end comm gear? I am hesitant to "register" via a tech ticket. I also am a law abiding man so I cannot and do not participate on air without one. I listen now and then. I've got my study guide book, my handheld dual band and a sweet little 2m, ammo can build going on, some jpoles and mag mount antennas. Something's keeping me from getting my tech ticket. Any opinions?

Another Mike

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Is it absurd to assume that during an unusually large scale disruptive event the feds, state, etc might take unfair advantage of an individual with an FCC license and high end comm gear? I am hesitant to "register" via a tech ticket. I also am a law abiding man so I cannot and do not participate on air without one. I listen now and then. I've got my study guide book, my handheld dual band and a sweet little 2m, ammo can build going on, some jpoles and mag mount antennas. Something's keeping me from getting my tech ticket. Any opinions?

Another Mike

I'm not afraid of any group coming for us and neither of any of my ham friends. The subject never comes up.

I talk on 2 meter and UHF everyday

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    Definitely study and get your Technician license. But while you're doing that, buy a CB radio/antenna. You can start chatting right away. No license needed.

BUT, don't let the wife and kids be nearby while you're on CB. There's some "colorful" language used by some CBers.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I’ve been studying and should be taking the technician test at the end of the month.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I’ve been studying and should be taking the technician test at the end of the month.

That's great. My girlfriend and I make STAT deliveries from the Baton Rouge area to Slidell to Lafayette to Patterson and all over the place.
    I have a 2 meter and a UHF radio in my truck that I talk to friends on while we are out on the road. LOHSEP in Livingston has some linked UHF repeaters that I talk on. It's called LWARN I mostly talk to a buddy sitting in his recliner south of Denham Springs on his handheld and I'm mobile

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    That's great. My girlfriend and I make STAT deliveries from the Baton Rouge area to Slidell to Lafayette to Patterson and all over the place.
    I have a 2 meter and a UHF radio in my truck that I talk to friends on while we are out on the road. LOHSEP in Livingston has some linked UHF repeaters that I talk on. It's called LWARN I mostly talk to a buddy sitting in his recliner south of Denham Springs on his handheld and I'm mobile

How many 500Zs are needed today for CB? Or how many 8877s?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    My buddy mentioned to me that they were going to ban importation of the Baofeng UV-5R radios. Might wanna pick one up.

I found this video.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    What about that old ancient AM Citizen Band radio? Do none of the apocalyptic conditions apply to CB radio? Just curious. I still have some killer equipment stored. I had just re tubed my Phantom 500 before I mothballed it. Big Cobra base station and a driver amp got me a nightly conversation with some Canuck called Grasshopper. Fluorescent lights and TV’s within a hundred yards didn’t fare so well tho... I still have a big Palomar amp and a new old stock, still in the box Heathkit foot pedal amp as well. I guess antennae aren’t as easy to fashion as with HAM, but you can’t deny CB’s are viable SHTF squawk boxes.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    What about that old ancient AM Citizen Band radio? Do none of the apocalyptic conditions apply to CB radio? Just curious. I still have some killer equipment stored. I had just re tubed my Phantom 500 before I mothballed it. Big Cobra base station and a driver amp got me a nightly conversation with some Canuck called Grasshopper. Fluorescent lights and TV’s within a hundred yards didn’t fare so well tho... I still have a big Palomar amp and a new old stock, still in the box Heathkit foot pedal amp as well. I guess antennae aren’t as easy to fashion as with HAM, but you can’t deny CB’s are viable SHTF squawk boxes.

You're talking Danny Abear's language now

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My buddy mentioned to me that they were going to ban importation of the Baofeng UV-5R radios. Might wanna pick one up.

I found this video.

If these are legal, I have one of them and they work well. I belong to a jeep club that uses them instead of cb's on trail rides. I don't recall the name of the software off the top of my head and I'm feeling too lazy right now to look it up, but you can program the channels to your liking. If you have some for your family and/or friends, you should be able to find an unused frequency to create your own "private" means of communication. You can also set up the NOAA Weather Radio station on there and put each one wherever you want on the list.

If these are now illegal then my radio was in the bag of guns lost in that dreadful boating accident.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.

Tell me about the Heathkit amp...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom