Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011
    Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I have a Uv5r but I want to upgrade to one of the 8w models. I have a Nagoya 771 on mine now but Im having trouble reaching repeaters from my house.
    I really don't care.

Remember kids, you might be in the clique right now, but it never lasts forever.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I have a Uv5r but I want to upgrade to one of the 8w models. I have a Nagoya 771 on mine now but I’m having trouble reaching repeaters from my house.
    8w vs 5w isn't going to make much of a difference. If you're having trouble hitting repeaters in Madisonville the best thing you can do is get an external antenna. I recently purchased one of the roll up antennas from Ed Fong. https://edsantennas.weebly.com/ Works great inside my house here in Mandeville. Plus it's easy to stash in a bag to take with you in the field. Any external antenna will work better than the antenna attached to the HT. You could also try attaching a counterpoise to the UV5R. https://hackaday.com/2014/02/08/impr...-antenna-wire/

Then there's this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECAAVIPzcM I have no experience with this one though. It's cheap enough that it might be worth it to try. pay attention to the 771 results too.
    Last edited by nolaradio; November 7th, 2019 at 08:14 AM.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Abear View Post
    Cause if 5 watts is good, 8 is better, and cost the same. But my expertize was 9 meters above this...
    BaoFeng UV-82HP, 7 Watt VHF/UHF Radio,This what we got Pop's ?
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    BaoFeng UV-82HP, 7 Watt VHF/UHF Radio,This what we got Pop's ?

Got the 5 watt uv-82
    Last edited by Danny Abear; November 7th, 2019 at 07:26 PM.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nolaradio View Post
    8w vs 5w isn't going to make much of a difference. If you're having trouble hitting repeaters in Madisonville the best thing you can do is get an external antenna. I recently purchased one of the roll up antennas from Ed Fong. https://edsantennas.weebly.com/ Works great inside my house here in Mandeville. Plus it's easy to stash in a bag to take with you in the field. Any external antenna will work better than the antenna attached to the HT. You could also try attaching a counterpoise to the UV5R. https://hackaday.com/2014/02/08/impr...-antenna-wire/

Then there's this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECAAVIPzcM I have no experience with this one though. It's cheap enough that it might be worth it to try. pay attention to the 771 results too.
    I may get the Abree antenna and try it out.

I was on the JARC UHF repeater earlier talking to a co-worker when I was driving home. He said my Uv5r was clear when I was passing through Metairie.
    I really don't care.

Remember kids, you might be in the clique right now, but it never lasts forever.

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nolaradio View Post
    Nothing??? Sorry, I didn't stay awake last night awaiting your reply. That's why you didn't get a reply from me.

I didn't say that an eBay seller was "robbing" you.

So sorry if I offended you with my first post. That wasn't the intent. Welcome to the hobby. It can get as expensive, if not more than, as firearms. If you'd like to bounce any questions off me, feel free to do so.
    Thanks Nola, and sorry I took it as such, but when you frequent a site with as much trolling as I see here (even mod and admin for Petes sake!) ya kinda get a little tired of having to deal with it.
    All good info. Thanks!
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it
    Bangswitch

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I may get the Abree antenna and try it out.

I was on the JARC UHF repeater earlier talking to a co-worker when I was driving home. He said my Uv5r was clear when I was passing through Metairie.
    Haven't been on one of their repeaters in years since moving to the northshore. They used to have a pretty impressive system down there. 147.370 was up on the top of the Landmark Hotel and I think the 444.000 repeater was there too. They had remote receivers downtown in NOLA and also on the hospital in Kenner. I haven't looked at the repeater listings there in a while. I think they moved all the repeaters to different frequencies since then.

The 444.975 KB5AVY repeater used to have a lot of activity on it too. I think it was the only repeater that never went off the air during Katrina. Used to be on top of Ochsner in Jefferson with backup batteries charged by solar panels. Last I heard it was at his house in Bucktown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    Thanks Nola, and sorry I took it as such, but when you frequent a site with as much trolling as I see here (even mod and admin for Pete’s sake!) ya kinda get a little tired of having to deal with it.
    All good info. Thanks!
    It's all good. Again, welcome to the hobby.