Amateur Radio !!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    If these are legal, I have one of them and they work well. I belong to a jeep club that uses them instead of cb's on trail rides. I don't recall the name of the software off the top of my head and I'm feeling too lazy right now to look it up, but you can program the channels to your liking. If you have some for your family and/or friends, you should be able to find an unused frequency to create your own "private" means of communication. You can also set up the NOAA Weather Radio station on there and put each one wherever you want on the list.

If these are now illegal then my radio was in the bag of guns lost in that dreadful boating accident.

Programming software you are thinking of is CHIRP. With the right cable it works well to program many brands of radios. Convenient in this day of different wandering menus for every radio trying to do it manually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I used a Baofeng UV-82 for a few years. Just upgraded to a Kenwood TH-K20, which has fewer features but feels much more solid.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of 2m activity in and around Baton Rouge. Is 70cm the place to be?

Mike

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I used a Baofeng UV-82 for a few years. Just upgraded to a Kenwood TH-K20, which has fewer features but feels much more solid.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of 2m activity in and around Baton Rouge. Is 70cm the place to be?

Mike

Wed. night at 8pm check in on our net. every ham is welcome to check in and talk all you want.
    Downlink: 146.83500
    Uplink: 146.2350
    Offset: -0.6 MHz
    Uplink Tone: 114.8

That's my club repeater KD5UZA it's located in Jackson, La and has good range.

As far as 70cm I talk on it almost every day.
    LWARN UHF linked repeater network.

All of those are linked together so if you can in in one you're talking on all of them.
    Livingston. 444.350 156.7
    West Feliciana. 443.625. 156.7
    GREENSBURG. 442.275. 156.7
    WASHINGTON. 442.425 156.7
    EBR Central. 442.400. 156.7
    St Tammany. 443.425. 156.7

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That was supposed to happen on 9/30 but it didn’t.

I have one and it’s not bad for a $25 radio.

Yep they are still for sale on ebay.

I have three of them. Two are same model UV-82 I paid 21.99 each for I think. I talk on UHF on them everyday on some linked ham repeaters.

I've given away 2 of them a different model same brand. One was to a friend of mine at LPSO so his handicapped nephew could listen to him at work at night and the other to a retired FF so she could keep up with LPSO in lower LP. I disabled the transmit on both.

The guy in that video sells copper J-poles I bought one from him about a year ago.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ok apparently if it’s not an issued radio I’m clueless. If I buy a UV-5R I can hit repeaters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Ok apparently if it’s not an issued radio I’m clueless. If I buy a UV-5R I can hit repeaters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep a lot of people have them that are hams. It's only about 5 watts so you can't be too far away. With those UHF repeaters I posted above I talk a good ways with it. They are linked kind of like your 700 mhz system. I normally stay on the UHF repeater on Wax rd on the DEMCO tower since it sounds the best. My buddy that just join on here drill sgt is a ham and he sits at his house south of Denham on La 16 and talks to me on his radio like that. He's 10 miles from the DEMCO tower and he get in it good and most of the time I'm mobile. If we are in Debbie's car i just the handheld and if we are in my truck I have a 50 watt mobile in it. I've talked to drill sgt when I was in New Iberia and New Orleans and all over the place but that was my mobile and the conditions make a difference when your're that far

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Wed. night at 8pm check in on our net. every ham is welcome to check in and talk all you want.
    Downlink:146.83500
    Uplink:146.2350
    Offset:-0.6 MHz
    Uplink Tone:114.8

That's my club repeater KD5UZA it's located in Jackson, La and has good range.

As far as 70cm I talk on it almost every day.
    LWARN UHF linked repeater network.

All of those are linked together so if you can in in one you're talking on all of them.
    Livingston. 444.350 156.7
    West Feliciana. 443.625. 156.7
    GREENSBURG. 442.275. 156.7
    WASHINGTON. 442.425 156.7
    EBR Central. 442.400. 156.7
    St Tammany. 443.425. 156.7

Good to know. After I get my call sign I’ll try this on a Wednesday night.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Yep a lot of people have them that are hams. It's only about 5 watts so you can't be too far away. With those UHF repeaters I posted above I talk a good ways with it. They are linked kind of like your 700 mhz system. I normally stay on the UHF repeater on Wax rd on the DEMCO tower since it sounds the best. My buddy that just join on here drill sgt is a ham and he sits at his house south of Denham on La 16 and talks to me on his radio like that. He's 10 miles from the DEMCO tower and he get in it good and most of the time I'm mobile. If we are in Debbie's car i just the handheld and if we are in my truck I have a 50 watt mobile in it. I've talked to drill sgt when I was in New Iberia and New Orleans and all over the place but that was my mobile and the conditions make a difference when your're that far

Just ordered me a 8 watt unit

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    BUSTED-----Thanks charlie 12--have been a ham since 1978----BANG FOR YOUR BUCK this radio fits the deal.......have 2 extra 3800amphr batteries (1600amphr standard issue) which adds aprox. 1 5/8 inch to height of radio---longer operating time between charging--- and a aftermarket (WEINEE STICK) anteanee--- WORKS GREAT.. bought 2 1/2 yrs ago off of estate (silent key) sale.. would like to get another just for backup........... have been involved with emergency communications for RED CROSS SHELTER OPERATIONS / STATE AND PARISH(same as county) OEP OPERATIONS as well as personal hobby ventures ----even had a vhf/unf radio operational on my motorcycle while riding...........

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    BUSTED-----Thanks charlie 12--have been a ham since 1978----BANG FOR YOUR BUCK this radio fits the deal.......have 2 extra 3800amphr batteries (1600amphr standard issue) which adds aprox. 1 5/8 inch to height of radio---longer operating time between charging--- and a aftermarket (WEINEE STICK) anteanee--- WORKS GREAT.. bought 2 1/2 yrs ago off of estate (silent key) sale.. would like to get another just for backup........... have been involved with emergency communications for RED CROSS SHELTER OPERATIONS / STATE AND PARISH(same as county) OEP OPERATIONS as well as personal hobby ventures ----even had a vhf/unf radio operational on my motorcycle while riding...........

I even let you talk to me

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I am consistently scoring 33-34 on my Tech practice tests. When I get that proficient on General, I will take both. I picked up two UV-5Rs, two NA-171 antennas, two chargers and a programming cable for $45 on Ebay right before the "ban". I have been trying to hear the Hammond repeater (145.1300), but no luck so far. It breaks squelch, but I never hear anything. I am in Tula in a house with a steel roof, bit I can't hear anything outside either.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I am consistently scoring 33-34 on my Tech practice tests. When I get that proficient on General, I will take both. I picked up two UV-5Rs, two NA-171 antennas, two chargers and a programming cable for $45 on Ebay right before the "ban". I have been trying to hear the Hammond repeater (145.1300), but no luck so far. It breaks squelch, but I never hear anything. I am in Tula in a house with a steel roof, bit I can't hear anything outside either.

I took the Hammond repeater out of my radio's it pretty much sucks. You probably should be able to hear the Livingston repeater 147.165 from your location or the 442.400. Both of those on that new 700' tower on La 63 just south of I-12.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ok, for the sheer heck of it, I ordered a few radios and would like one of you Ham guys to weigh in if you please. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baofeng-Po...-8b51-4b89-ad75-fa2fc5a8e8f9&epid=17024991247

UV-5R 8watt
    Seller says they have no FCC number noted on the chassis.
    I also got a couple UV-5RTP units that supposedly also fall prior to the change.
    These are all programmable with the Ching Chong software and USB cable.
    There are a ton of other cheap accessories for sale as well, extra cap batteries, antennae etc. Wondering if any of this stuff is worth it. Mighty cheap as electronics go. Asking about these because I’m getting my standard operating license and just want something basic for alternate comms.
    Recommend antenna type that’s best if you check out the accessories for these radios please. I ordered extra stuff but don’t know what to go with for ant upgrade.
    Any info or guidance appreciated!

Top Bottom