Amateur Radio !!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Ok, for the sheer heck of it, I ordered a few radios and would like one of you Ham guys to weigh in if you please. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baofeng-Po...-8b51-4b89-ad75-fa2fc5a8e8f9&epid=17024991247

UV-5R 8watt
    Seller says they have no FCC number noted on the chassis.
    I also got a couple UV-5RTP units that supposedly also fall prior to the change.
    These are all programmable with the Ching Chong software and USB cable.
    There are a ton of other cheap accessories for sale as well, extra cap batteries, antennae etc. Wondering if any of this stuff is worth it. Mighty cheap as electronics go. Asking about these because I’m getting my standard operating license and just want something basic for alternate comms.
    Recommend antenna type that’s best if you check out the accessories for these radios please. I ordered extra stuff but don’t know what to go with for ant upgrade.
    Any info or guidance appreciated!

PM sent

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    UV-5R 8watt

The UV-5R is a great little radio. Build quality is on par with what you paid for it, and if you get a higher end radio from Kenwood you'll immediately feel the difference ... but that's not to say that the Baofeng can't give a lot of good service. It can and it will.

There are lots of 2m/70cm antennas out there. If you're looking for something permanent, look at Arrow Antenna's J pole. There are plenty of mobile magnet mount antennas that can be had for cheap. If you're mounting something permanently on your vehicle, look at one of the Firestiks. For handheld antennas, Diamond makes a good antenna, although it's only going to perform marginally better than the antenna that comes with the radio (unless you get a 2m whip, but that's not really practical).

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks Raleigh.
    Getting them all in daily. I ordered from a few different sellers on EBay but they arrive in Amazon boxes. The UV5R units I bought are the preban ones, but I ordered one updated version because it’s a tri power that came with a USB cable and a external mic I can use for them all and it has a FCC number behind the battery.
    Been watching videos and decided on a Nagoya antenna for the moment, once I made sure of the knock-offs. I’m sure I’ll decide on a car antenna as well.

Last edited:

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Got my callsign today...
    congrats... welcome to another world wide family.. after upgrading to at least general class the world can be at your finger tips.... you can meet some amazing people some are ordinary and some are real celebraties / musicians / politicians ..... and you will find out that are just like you..... it won"t be long you will recognize peoples voices with just like when someone calls you on the telephone without saying who they are.......I got my first ticket in JAN 1978.. so just get ready to enjoy..............drill sgt.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Thanks Raleigh.
    Getting them all in daily. I ordered from a few different sellers on EBay but they arrive in Amazon boxes. The UV5R units I bought are the preban ones, but I ordered one updated version because it’s a tri power that came with a USB cable and a external mic I can use for them all and it has a FCC number behind the battery.
    Been watching videos and decided on a Nagoya antenna for the moment, once I made sure of the knock-offs. I’m sure I’ll decide on a car antenna as well.

The eBay seller likely charged you more than you should have paid and then ordered the radio for you from Amazon. He made money just by clicking the mouse a few times.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The eBay seller likely charged you more than you should have paid and then ordered the radio for you from Amazon. He made money just by clicking the mouse a few times.
    Haha!
    Nope. Don’t you think I looked there first?
    You won’t find these on amazon because they aren’t allowed to sell the banned versions on there at this point. I would be willing to believe that they were definitely sold on Amazon until the ban went into effect recently and then the seller had to move them to eBay.
    That being said, the cost is very small anyway.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Nope.
    You won’t find these on amazon because they aren’t allowed to sell the banned versions on there at this point.
    Amazon's Choice.
    b1a11e2339d2eb9b711932a2daa4825c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Amazon's Choice.
    b1a11e2339d2eb9b711932a2daa4825c.jpg

yeah, now send a little request to the seller and ask him to look behind the battery for that FCC NUMBER.
    These are the new versions with a FCC NUMBER. And guess what, same price. And yes, they do look exactly the same, they just don’t operate the same.
    You need any more info?

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    yeah, now send a little request to the seller and ask him to look behind the battery for that FCC NUMBER.
    These are the new versions with a FCC NUMBER. And guess what, same price. And yes, they do look exactly the same, they just don’t operate the same.
    You need any more info?
    What's the FCC registration number? I'm curious what they are actually type accepted for. Thanks.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    8bc9556bf6fde293f864082555dc271b.jpg

f9890b1c877e6f0db21de626db1b8668.jpg
    8f07f98b38a86829a898859a1530bbed.jpg
    37edc9ddffd3f402f6bc036f10dcf600.jpg

Good enough?
    You’ll notice the one with the FCC ID is a newer version, although I chose that one because of the tri power option. All the radios on Amazon now have a FCC ID and are FCC compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    8bc9556bf6fde293f864082555dc271b.jpg

f9890b1c877e6f0db21de626db1b8668.jpg
    8f07f98b38a86829a898859a1530bbed.jpg
    37edc9ddffd3f402f6bc036f10dcf600.jpg

Good enough?
    You’ll notice the one with the FCC ID is a newer version, although I chose that one because of the tri power option. All the radios on Amazon now have a FCC ID and are FCC compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. Unless this went into effect last week. I purchased Nov 1 on amazon. Just popped the battery and bam. Oldschool tag without fcc ID tag.

Might just depend on the seller...with that being said mine IS the UV5R

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I disagree. Unless this went into effect last week. I purchased Nov 1 on amazon. Just popped the battery and bam. Oldschool tag without fcc ID tag.

Might just depend on the seller...with that being said mine IS the UV5R
    i believe it was end of October from what I’ve seen on vids, so one day late? Idk. I do know that I went to Amazon first and could find no guarantee as to the radios offered not having the FCC ID. The seller on eBay was able to send me pics of the label when I asked and I knew I was buying the preban radios. Regardless, I don’t think it was a con job as someone suggested.
    I ordered my radios Sunday night and started receiving them yesterday via fast free shipping for $34, $37 and $38 from eBay. Still have two coming and a few accessories.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Nothing?

Funny. An hour ago I was at the mercy of a EBay seller clicking his mouse and robbing me blind...

Nothing??? Sorry, I didn't stay awake last night awaiting your reply. That's why you didn't get a reply from me.

I didn't say that an eBay seller was "robbing" you. When you said that you received your order in an Amazon box, that's what I thought the seller was doing. It wouldn't be the first time that someone has done that. Even if you paid only a dollar more than what you could have purchased it for from Amazon, the eBay seller could make some good money if they were selling tons of items that way. Glad you didn't get robbed blind.

So just a quick search of the FCC ID in the picture you posted shows that it meets the requirements of Part 15 of the FCC rules and regulations. Basically part 15 deals with spurious transmissions and rf radiation safety. This applies to all different kinds of consumer electronics, not just radios. I didn't find any type acceptance on file with the FCC for this radio. That means that it was not accepted for use in any service such as the FRS, GMRS or MURS radio service. Ham radios DO NOT need to be type accepted for use in the amateur radio service.
    This is where these Baofeng radios get into a gray area. No type acceptance is needed if they are marketed for use in the amateur radio service. But if you transmit outside of the ham radio bands, technically you are in violation of the rules. If it were type accepted, say for part 90, you could still use the radio for amateur radio use. You are allowed to use a modified radio from another radio service in the amateur radio service, however, you cannot legally use an amateur radio in another radio service.

Looks like you have done your homework. Good on you for going with the Nagoya antenna. It's a nice, inexpensive upgrade to the stock antenna. MFJ also has a couple of longer dual band antennas that I have used with great results. Although they are a little more expensive compared to the Nagoya.

People like to knock the Baofeng radios but I see them as a shot in the arm that ham radio has been needing for a few years now. It makes the investment more affordable for those just starting out with a new license. The first radio that I bought was a 440 only HT from Radio Shack that was on sale for $69. It was only 2 watts max output and was rough trying to hit a repeater inside the house. It was quickly returned.

I see you're in the Hammond area. Mark your calendar for January 18, 2020. The Hammond Hamfest will be that morning at SLU. https://www.selarc.org/selarchamfest.htm You may find something there that you just can't live without. You also asked for thoughts on upgrades, specifically antennas. Like I said earlier, check out what MFJ offers. Even though the max output on the radios you purchased stated 8 watts, you may just get around 6 to 7 watts output. No way to know for sure without a meter. At least that's what I have found in my experience. For a mobile antenna, try to find something along the lines of a 5/8 wave antenna for 2 meter use. You may find that you will eventually want a radio with more power for mobile use. Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu all make a 2 meter only radio for around $200 new. You should be able to find one used for $150 or less.

Hammond has a couple of repeaters that you should be able to get into with the low power of the HT and a gain antenna. The 147.000 repeater is actually in Tickfaw and the 145.130 repeater is at the hospital. The 147.000 repeater favors coverage north to south and the 145.130 repeater has better coverage east to west. Both have experienced less usage in recent years. But if you're just sitting there listening and not throwing out your call sign, no one knows you are there. The 147.000 needs some adjusting and new feedline to get it back to it's glory days of great coverage. The club is trying to raise money to get things done.

Speaking of the club, the next meeting is Tuesday, Nov. 12 at the ECO in Amite. Information on the club's page at www.selarc.org I will be out of town and won't be able to make it though.

When working with the CHIRP software, pay attention to the instructions for working with CSV files. It can be frustrating trying to figure it out for the first time. I've also noticed that sometimes the radios can be picky trying to communicate with the software. Sometimes they like to be powered on right before you click the button to download to the radio, other times they like to be powered on before plugging the cable into the radio.

A good source of repeater frequencies is www.repeaterbook.com This link will bring you straight to the Louisiana listings: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=22

So sorry if I offended you with my first post. That wasn't the intent. Welcome to the hobby. It can get as expensive, if not more than, as firearms. If you'd like to bounce any questions off me, feel free to do so.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom