Amateur Radio !!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have a Uv5r but I want to upgrade to one of the 8w models. I have a Nagoya 771 on mine now but I’m having trouble reaching repeaters from my house.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have a Uv5r but I want to upgrade to one of the 8w models. I have a Nagoya 771 on mine now but I’m having trouble reaching repeaters from my house.

8w vs 5w isn't going to make much of a difference. If you're having trouble hitting repeaters in Madisonville the best thing you can do is get an external antenna. I recently purchased one of the roll up antennas from Ed Fong. https://edsantennas.weebly.com/ Works great inside my house here in Mandeville. Plus it's easy to stash in a bag to take with you in the field. Any external antenna will work better than the antenna attached to the HT. You could also try attaching a counterpoise to the UV5R. https://hackaday.com/2014/02/08/improve-your-ht-ham-radio-by-adding-a-counterpoise-antenna-wire/

Then there's this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECAAVIPzcM I have no experience with this one though. It's cheap enough that it might be worth it to try. pay attention to the 771 results too.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    8w vs 5w isn't going to make much of a difference. If you're having trouble hitting repeaters in Madisonville the best thing you can do is get an external antenna. I recently purchased one of the roll up antennas from Ed Fong. https://edsantennas.weebly.com/ Works great inside my house here in Mandeville. Plus it's easy to stash in a bag to take with you in the field. Any external antenna will work better than the antenna attached to the HT. You could also try attaching a counterpoise to the UV5R. https://hackaday.com/2014/02/08/improve-your-ht-ham-radio-by-adding-a-counterpoise-antenna-wire/

Then there's this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hECAAVIPzcM I have no experience with this one though. It's cheap enough that it might be worth it to try. pay attention to the 771 results too.

I may get the Abree antenna and try it out.

I was on the JARC UHF repeater earlier talking to a co-worker when I was driving home. He said my Uv5r was clear when I was passing through Metairie.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Nothing??? Sorry, I didn't stay awake last night awaiting your reply. That's why you didn't get a reply from me.

I didn't say that an eBay seller was "robbing" you.

So sorry if I offended you with my first post. That wasn't the intent. Welcome to the hobby. It can get as expensive, if not more than, as firearms. If you'd like to bounce any questions off me, feel free to do so.
    Thanks Nola, and sorry I took it as such, but when you frequent a site with as much trolling as I see here (even mod and admin for Pete’s sake!) ya kinda get a little tired of having to deal with it.
    All good info. Thanks!

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I may get the Abree antenna and try it out.

I was on the JARC UHF repeater earlier talking to a co-worker when I was driving home. He said my Uv5r was clear when I was passing through Metairie.

Haven't been on one of their repeaters in years since moving to the northshore. They used to have a pretty impressive system down there. 147.370 was up on the top of the Landmark Hotel and I think the 444.000 repeater was there too. They had remote receivers downtown in NOLA and also on the hospital in Kenner. I haven't looked at the repeater listings there in a while. I think they moved all the repeaters to different frequencies since then.

The 444.975 KB5AVY repeater used to have a lot of activity on it too. I think it was the only repeater that never went off the air during Katrina. Used to be on top of Ochsner in Jefferson with backup batteries charged by solar panels. Last I heard it was at his house in Bucktown.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nola, and sorry I took it as such, but when you frequent a site with as much trolling as I see here (even mod and admin for Pete’s sake!) ya kinda get a little tired of having to deal with it.
    All good info. Thanks!

It's all good. Again, welcome to the hobby.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    So I built a j pole and now I’m able to check in on the local nets with my little baofeng.

Well I’m ready to upgrade now.

Any suggestions for a HT that won’t break the bank? I’m looking at a either a Yaesu ft60 or a ft70.

Thanks.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    So I built a j pole and now I’m able to check in on the local nets with my little baofeng.

Well I’m ready to upgrade now.

Any suggestions for a HT that won’t break the bank? I’m looking at a either a Yaesu ft60 or a ft70.

Thanks.
    Check the online retailers. A couple of the Yaesu handhelds have been going for less than $50 after rebate. Can't remember the specific models right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I made General today. Tested for Amateur Extra and only got 17 right. I’ll study for a few week and try again.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Good club. Haven't been there in a while though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I joined their club. They’re in the process of renovating their clubhouse. I’ll use their HF rigs and see what I like before I take the plunge and set something up at my house.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    I made General today. Tested for Amateur Extra and only got 17 right. I’ll study for a few week and try again.
    CONGRATS... keep going on the upgrade while in the STUDY MODE..... need to get myself upgraded since have had the EXTRA study guide for the past year..................................................................................... drill sgt.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    CONGRATS... keep going on the upgrade while in the STUDY MODE..... need to get myself upgraded since have had the EXTRA study guide for the past year..................................................................................... drill sgt.

Drill Sgt, thanks. The FCC is changing the test on 7/1/20 so I’m going to try to take the next step before then. I don’t know if I can get it all in before the March testing date but I’m going to try.

To pass General, I studied by reading the arrl book, the practice test app, and using the Ham Study app (which worked best for me). I did all of that in about 2 weeks or so.

As soon as I get AE I’ll figure out what HF radio I need.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I just passed AE via online testing.

That's great

- - - Updated - - -

You need a antenna so you can talk on 2m

Top Bottom