Shooters Discount

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GunRelated View Post
    Correct. I have gotten quotes from local guys as well for this and was surprised at price I was quoted. Seems like a quick, simple job if you have the right tools. Maybe I am missing something?
    To do it right as per the ATF, the flash hider has to either be welded on or pinned and then hi-temp soldered on. It has to be secured to the point in that the barrel would be destroyed in the process of removing the flash hider. So, either you have the CROWN of your barrel heated up to the point of changing the metal stresses (or worse) at the most important part of the barrel...OR you are drilling a hole past the threads, inserting a steel pin, and then heating up the barrel to the point of changing it's stresses but now it has a VERY thin weak point. It takes 15min of direct heat from a propane torch to heat up a barrel enough to melt 1100 degree silver solder ($50 a roll mind you). MAPP will get it faster, but you can really get it too hot easily. Not to mention that all of this WILL destroy any coating you have on it. It can't be welded in place with a crush washer and it's not really a good idea to have shims in the weld either, so if going with a weld then the FH has to be timed to start out with. That takes a lathe and about an hour of shop time on a good day.

It's a pain in the ass for an inch and a half.
    Last edited by Ritten; June 7th, 2013 at 06:24 AM.

If that is truly the case, I wonder why so many people run 14.5" barrels with pinned FH's? I wonder I companies like BCM offer 14.5" assemblies with pinned FH's but don't mention anything about compromising the barrel?

I think I'll just send my barrel to adco, thanks for nothing guys

Quote Originally Posted by ABN_INF View Post
    Well isn't that a good attitude. Keep it up partner, we will surely be here next time you need advice.
    Last edited by Dishonored; June 8th, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

Marksman

Gold Member
    Ritten is technically correct, although he has a "precision" mindset and builds works of art that are measured in 1/100th MOA. For normal use on regular ARs it's just fine. My DD is a 14.5" barrel with pinned FH (with crush washer) and it's just as accurate as my 16" BCM.

Seriously Misunderstood! Emperor's Avatar
    Damn man! Maybe people don't know anyone down there they would recommend?!?

I'm sure some one could lie to you if you want.
    Remember; The 2nd Amendment Protects the 1st!
    Lyndon Johnson (Democrat & Father of US Welfare System) we'll give them stuff........."and have them ni&&ers voting democratic for the next 200 years!"
    "I'm a self reliant, self supported American trapped in a "Free Shit" society!"
    Be Warned! Amazon.com is Skynet!
    I don't believe in a supreme deity; but have to believe Trump's win was Divine Intervention!

Definitely not the attitude that will get you anywhere fast here. I understand you didn't get the answer you were looking for, neither have I, but no need to throw a fit.

The way I understood it, as long as the FH is pinned, it doesn't need to be welded. What is the consensus on this? If this is true, then pinning a FH should be a very quick and easy job with the correct tools which is why I can see how Adco can do the job for $30 all day long.

Marksman

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunRelated View Post
    The way I understood it, as long as the FH is pinned, it doesn't need to be welded. What is the consensus on this? If this is true, then pinning a FH should be a very quick and easy job with the correct tools which is why I can see how Adco can do the job for $30 all day long.
    You have to blind pin it and weld over the hole.

Here's mine after welding before coating.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    You have to blind pin it and weld over the hole.

Here's mine after welding before coating.

Yes, that is the way I understood it. The way Ritten explains the method, it requires pinning, then welding where the FH meets the barrel after being installed.