Need help identifying my DSA SA58

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G19MAG

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Bossier City
    Well I picked up a DSA SA58 not knowing to much about them but just wanting to get into FAL's. Been doing a little research and now I'm kind of confused. LOL On the side of the receiver it is stamped DSA on the other side it says SA58. The barrel has a numbers on it but the bolt carrier and bolt don't. From what little I have read from the FAL files, the DSA parts kit build have serial number and the full DSA build don't. The trigger group is marked USA.

So with that being said. How do i find out if the SA58 I got is a full DSA build or a STG58? Either way, shot it yesterday and I must admit it shoots freaking NICE! I like that you can adjust the gas system to suit the ammo. I like it because I reload and can play with the recipe.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Ed

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Before DSA started manufacturing all their parts, they used some military surplus in their rifles. Lower receivers, barrels, hammer, trigger, sear. Does the lower have serial numbers. One side of the barrel has numbers and the other side might have the makers stamp. VCL140.. KAL..KAL with a crown.

An oval stamp with a number in it on any of the other parts would be Steyr [Austian].... FN [Belgium] would be a partial box with a number.

Pics would help identifying the origin, if they are surplus.

Last edited:

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Nice pics.. I don't think this is a DSA built rifle. Looks like a Belgian G1 kit. The bolt and carrier are fn stamped and look to be new old stock [unserialized]. Are there any other marks on the other side of the barrel ? The flash hider/muzzle brake is a G1. It should twist off/on and not thread. The hammer marks show it is a Falcon Arms hammer, so the trigger and sear are probably the same. That is what makes me think it was assembled by someone other then DSA.

Years ago DSA sold G1 kits , refinished and like new condition. I don't remember if they sold a complete G1 rifle. A quick call to DSA with the serial number on the upper will confirm if they assembled the rifle or sold the receiver to someone. It looks like a very nice rifle regardless. Got a pic of the complete rifle ?

G19MAG

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Bossier City
    Thanks, I'm liking the rifle more and more as I do more research on it. There are no other marks on the barrel other than that serial number. I will take a few photo's of the whole rifle when I get home and also place a call to DSA. The flash hider was interesting when I first took it off I thought to my self how is it held in place as there were no threads but soon realized that the break itself has a retaining clip on it. Very neat design and looks to be of good quality parts.

Hopefully I won't get bored of it after a few hundred rounds. I have a tendency to trade stuff once they lose thier luster. LOL

Thanks for all the help so far,
    Ed

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Very nice collection you got there. The FAL is a G1, correct "B" type wood stock with trapdoor. The close up pics you posted this morning looks like a type 1 lower. The upper is a Type 2, which a lot of FAL owners like, but G1 came with a type 1. The difference being the radius cut on the bottom of a "1" runs straight to the rear without the scallop on the end. The radius on the lightening cut Type 1 are more square cut. Type 2's being on later numbered Stg's

Here is a type "1" upper..View attachment 41796

If and when you "lose interest" in it, let me know...:cool:

Last edited:

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Here is a pic of one of my G1's. There is also a pic of the markings of the maker on the barrel and the lug that hold the fs/mb
    I am in no means an expert and have seen lots of variations of FAL's, but the fact that your barrel has no other markings for a G1 has me perplexed.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom