Need some input on a '03-A3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    So I have a buddy that is interested in pick this rifle up for his dad. I don't know crap about them but since it's a CMP that's a good point. What do you guys think?
    $550

For sale is a Remington ’03-A3, 1942, very good condition, originally purchased from the CMP. Most metal parts have been blued…it is a deep, highly polished blue job…only the rear sight is parkerized. The blue job (and polished stock) indicates that it probably belonged to a ceremonial detail (before being returned to the CMP).

It shoots well. I’ve shot respectably at 600 yards (with old, as-issued ammo). The rear sight could be tightened a bit as it sometimes slid down a bit during firing. The barrel is shinny and the muzzle and chamber gauge very little erosion ("1/2" and "0" per the armorer's tag from the CMP). It has a S stock with a “FJA” (Frank J. Atwood) cartouche. It will come with its CMP certificate.

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I volunteered work at CMP, did many 03's and never saw a blued one.
    If it is in good shape and the barrel is good, sounds like a deal.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I recently swapped an M84 scope for a CMP M1903A3. As I was doing research, here's some values I found (from my WTT ad about a month ago): "I would like to trade for an original M1903A3 or M1903 (Springfield preferred) rifle in military configuration. These average $595 from CMP when they have them, $700-800 from James River Armory, and around $800 on Gunbroker (SOLD items)"

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    If its blued, its not "cerimonial" its a reblued gun done in the civillian world and not as a ceremonial/drill rifle, at least not by the military. 1903's initially came blued, but were later parkerized, all 1903a3's were parked, however its not unusuall to find them with some blued nos 1903 parts since many interchange.

However its pretty easy to restore a park job as opposed to blue, and for 550, if the bore is good and the stock in good shape, Id do it, especially for $550. I just sold an o3a3 for $750 on another board, didnt last one hour.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not an expert by any means on the 1903A3 but the exception to the parkerization rule was Remington. They came from the factory with a mixture of parkerized and blued parts. If memory serves the bolt and all it parts, the sling swivels, the nose cap, and the butt plate were blued. They should be marked with an "R" The rest of the rifle was parkerized. But the blueing was a wire blue not a deep one. At least that was my understanding.

Dave

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Thanks for all the info guys. The hour that I posted this and then sent him a reply email that I'll take it someone else took it. My luck Nick saw my post and bought it for himself

hoosiernative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    that stinks. good price but there are a bunch out there so keep an eye out and one will turn up. cant go wrong with CMP though

Top Bottom