Generator recommendation around $1000 or less

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm in the market for a new portable generator for back up power to my house. My current gen died a death at my hands of tinkering and I accept blame. Any how, I need your real life recommendations for a generator around 5000 runningwatts priced around $1000 or less. Please do not make this a Honda EU series thread. I know they are the bomb but at that price tag I would / will be in the market for a whole house standby gen.

So what would you buy if you have $1000 to spend. ALSO, the reason I am asking is this is the most difficult item to gauge by way of reviews. If you read them they all suck! I know they are all just rebranded made in china but some have to be half way reliable. Consumer reports list the top 3 as Troy Bilt, Honda EU6500 and Generac GP5500. The strange thing is the reviews show otherwise. crazy I tell you.

Give me your thoughts. I need to bust a move since the season is well underway!

thanks.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I bought a sears craftsman 5600 watt 8600 starting for 800$ It has a Briggs & Stratton motor it's noisy uses 5 gallons every 12 hrs, but it ran 2 fridges a chest freezer lights and 2 5000 btu window units all for 800$. I am a very happy consumer. 3 yrs and going strong.

Last edited:

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    I ordered the generac lp5500 about two months ago
    its a propane generator i hooked it up to a 120 gallon tank, four days of propane generator works great plugs into the transfer switch and rolls power two window acs all lights cieling fans refrigerator TVs Internet not to loud and clean burning so no varnish to worry about

BR55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    I'm looking for a generator to run a small window AC in the $400-500 range. When not running the AC I want to run a fridge or freezer. Any suggestions?

TheBigShow

Buck Farack
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I am thinking about buying this one to have as a spare for my 6200 watt Honeywell.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_505471-38777-ST-GP9500EB_0__?productId=4781033&Ntt=portable+generators&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dportable%2Bgenerators&facetInfo=

You can buy a 10% off coupon for lowes on Ebay for about $5 which will save you $85.

Here it is at Home Depot for a higher price but has a lot of positive reviews:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smarter-Tools-9-500-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Electric-Start-STGP-9500EB/203494507#.UfBjho1wq3s

Last edited:

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    I bought a sears craftsman 5600 watt 8600 starting for 800$ It has a Briggs & Stratton motor it's noisy uses 5 gallons every 12 hrs, but it ran 2 fridges a chest freezer lights and 2 5000 btu window units all for 800$. I am a very happy consumer. 3 yrs and going strong.

my sears craftman was bought shortly after of Katrina. same unit as above. hasn't missed a lick yet. I run it for 30 minutes every month. so far so good. going on 7 years now.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I know a number of contractors who love their Champions. Would have one myself, but could not find one in stock when I needed one.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Options are very large in that spec. Most all use the same generator head, difference will be features and engine. I would avoid the Honda knockoff engines because of parts availability down the road. Also avoid Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh unless you want to go deaf. I personally have and prefer a Subaru engine.
    A not on the Honda knockoff- I think champion is the most common brand- they seem to so well and last decently but replacement parts can be sketchy. Of course for the price, you could buy 2 and have a spare.
    Biggest thing is keep the fuel bowl empty, stabil in the gas and run it every couple months under a load so you aren't surprised when you need it.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I hope I don't jinx me but my Generac is the easiest pull-start I have ever tried and very reliable. I paid too much but I was in no shape to negotiate and bought from my local mom and pop hardware. 5500W about $800. I could have saved a few bucks and bought from Lowes but I like to support the neighborhood retailers.
    03Protege don't believe the hour meter as they get replaced. 9 years USMC Engineer Co., fresh paint don't matter either. One with more hours may be more better, at least you know it ran all those hours.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I was looking at the gov liquidation and there are some within driving distance..

I am watching them and I would believe the 100 or more hours, not the 3 or 2 hour meters..
    Is there a trick to the mep003.. it seems the ones that are missing batteries are going higher than ones with.. whats up with that?/ It also seems the ones without a trailer go higher than ones with> Seems backwards..

I just went and took advantage of the no La tax day and bought a Yamaha 2kI .. So I have one for the camp now..

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you don't find one. I may be looking to get rid of one of my welding machines. It has a 6500 watt gen built into it. The up side of going this way is that if you're looking to weld something too, you can.

Bullwinkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    For $1000, you won't touch a HONDA generator over 2500W, but you may find a good Generac or similar with a Briggs or Honda 10-13HP motor.

For a few hundred less you can find a reliable 5000W generator (with a good surge) which will support your 120VAC needs (fan, refrigerator, deep freeze) plus run a window unit.

If you find something at a good price, check Country of Origin. I stay away from the Chinese stuff.

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I worked for a company in New Iberia for three years. We got a out of the box Champion 1200 watt from lowes (about $225) and for three years it sat on the back of the truck in the sun, rain, wind, dust (ALOT of dust!), and cold. Our employer wasn't the greatest for reimbursing expenses so for three years we did nothing but put gas in it. We didn't change oil, spark plugs or anything preventative and on a daily basis it started (choke on) first pull EVERY time. We did have to replace the pull string 3 or 4 times after breaking due to dry rot but if I saw one of these in 5000 watt I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on it.

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    I have an onan6500.... ITs a portable and hasn't failed me yet. I paid 900 for it at Stevens rv back when gustav came through.... It's a hoss! I run my whole house on it respectively.... Just have to select what you want to run and turn most of your 220 appliances off..... But she has run my central ac with my fridge and a few lights before.... Worth every penny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Polizzi
    Top Bottom