So, other agencies are wanting what the NSA has?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The biggest problem I have with this program is that there are over 500,000 private people working for contractors such as Booz Allen. That means that there are probably many more people like Snowden....young kids with total clearence to snoop anyones email and phone records for any reason they want.

Just a few days ago...there was a long thread concerning cheating and having affairs. How about this scenario. Someone is sleeping with a married woman. The husband finds out....and he happens to work for Booz Allen. So he decides to eavesdrop on the man screwing his wife. Or....what if its the guys ex-wife. What if an employee of Booz Allen decides he wants to find out who is sleeping with his ex-wife....ex-girlfriend....etc.

There is no end to the possible scenarios where a person who is a private contractor can abuse this program.

Furthermore....500,000 private contractors with clearance. We know that Snowden wasn't well vetted. He was a high school drop out. Does everyone really believe he was/is the only loose cannon out of these 500,000 private contractors.

Of the 4.9 million people with clearance to access "confidential and secret" government information, 1.1 million, or 21 percent, work for outside contractors, according to a report from Clapper's office. Of the 1.4 million who have the higher "top secret" access, 483,000, or 34 percent, work for contractors.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/10/nsa-leak-contractors_n_3418876.html

I'm not that worried about the DEA or the FBI, etc looking at me. But I am worried about all these private contractors who may abuse the system for personal gain.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I don't believe this is happening b/c it's from the NY Times.

This is all tin foil nonsense, grow up people.

They have to do this to keep us safe!

I think I covered everything.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm not sure how someone could possibly believe something like this WON'T be abused in at least some capacity. :dunno:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I think that most people who join the military...get trained in IT....earn security clearance....tend to be better vetted than those hire by private contractors. I mean just look at Snowden. This guy was a high school drop out. He was a smart guy who understood IT and network systems....but it was pretty clear he lied on his resume. Yet...they hired him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/20/booz-allen-hamilton-edward-snowden_n_3475518.html

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    What makes you think the private contractors are any worse than the gov't employees? I don't understand that part.

I don't. There are good and not so good folks in all sectors. It'll be who gets caught first.

My "yup" was the consideration of the "other" employees.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I know a good number of people with high level clearances who started as contractors and eventually hired on to places like Boeing in the weapons division in STL, who have a less-than-stellar performance up until high school graduation, some with GEDs, because the typical personality type that excels in cryptography, network security, and various aspects of IT work does not really do well in the uber structured regimented educational institutions. This is pretty evident when you look at the way employees work in successful tech companies, and what allowances they are given, as well as fringe benefits. Snowdens history is NOT all that abnormal. It's kind of /expected/ to be honest. Employers outside of bean-counter-human-resources-types accommodate it when possible.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I know a good number of people with high level clearances who started as contractors and eventually hired on to places like Boeing in the weapons division in STL, who have a less-than-stellar performance up until high school graduation, some with GEDs, because the typical personality type that excels in cryptography, network security, and various aspects of IT work does not really do well in the uber structured regimented educational institutions. This is pretty evident when you look at the way employees work in successful tech companies, and what allowances they are given, as well as fringe benefits. Snowdens history is NOT all that abnormal. It's kind of /expected/ to be honest. Employers outside of bean-counter-human-resources-types accommodate it when possible.

Yeah yeah we've all seen Good Will Hunting... :D

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    In a 68-page ruling, Judge Richard J. Leon of the District of Columbia called the program’s technology *almost Orwellian* and suggested that James Madison, the author of the Constitution, would be *aghast* to learn that the government was encroaching on liberty in such a way.

*I cannot imagine a more ‘indiscriminate’ and ‘arbitrary’ invasion than this systematic and high-tech collection and retention of personal data on virtually every single citizen for purposes of querying and analyzing it without prior judicial approval,* Judge Leon wrote. *Surely, such a program infringes on ‘that degree of privacy’ that the founders enshrined in the Fourth Amendment.*

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Government has been encroaching on liberty since the Constitution was written, it has just been accelerating the pace over the last 50 years.

Top Bottom