BayouShooter Improvements and Changelog

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    another, under firearms section, say you click on pistols, then maybe it lead you to a sub forum area that has each factory pistol sub forum as well as 1911,2011, comp. guns, etc.
    (Not trying to make it like Enos, but it would be a lot more informative to go and find things about each kind of gun or post as well)

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Is there a way to make a thread starter a moderator over their own thread? That would be ideal in the marketplace. The original poster could choose to disallow comments all together (essentially locking the thread to all posters except themselves, as it is now) or could allow comments and such yet be able to delete them as needed when 5 pages if crap replies like "nice" or "if you still have it in December 2017, I will get it from you".

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Too many topics for a GUN FORUM. Consolidate.

These 10 topics could be discussed in Off Topic.
    1. Hurricanes.
    2. Emergency Services.
    3. General Finance. DONE.
    4. Sports. DONE.
    5. Special Legislature.
    6. Hand to Hand. DONE.
    7. Health and Fitness. DONE.
    8. Pets. DONE.
    9. Cooking.
    10. Science and Technology.

Combine Camping/Hiking/Fishing. DONE.

Combined Hand to Hand Combat/ Health and Fitness. DONE

Women Carry would be discussed under handguns. DONE.

Combined Land Classifieds/Everything Else. DONE.

Cleaning and Maintenance would be discussed under Handguns. DONE.

Drop the Bearpit and make pictures optional in the classifieds. BEARPIT DONE.

Stay focused on Bayou Shooter.

All Threads self lock after 180 days. Lock and Delete any Thread/Post you would not want your teenage daughter to read.

Thanks for the hard work and improvements Austin.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Make a thumbs up or thumbs down button besides every persons post with a tracker of how many of each they have besides their name. Maybe the mall ninjas would get rooted out. Atleast it would let newbies know who flaps gums and who is respected giving advise.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Have a section for critters or varmints where we could discuss coons, strange aquatic critters, etc.

This would be separate from pets.

I for one am not particularly interested in shooting per se, but this has become a community of sorts and I enjoy following some threads and starting others.

:eh:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Consider a one time fee for posting in the classifieds (in the ads or replies to them) I think it would help with having to police spammers and 1 time posters and passer byers that haven't read the rules before posting in the market place. A small fee of course :)

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Consider a one time fee for posting in the classifieds (in the ads or replies to them) I think it would help with having to police spammers and 1 time posters and passer byers that haven't read the rules before posting in the market place. A small fee of course :)

You would actually pay money to post in the classifieds? Wow

alpharic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    make the OP a moderator over every thread they start, that way they can close, delete thread, moderate, add no replies to, or anything goes, etc.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    More mods.
    Enforce the 24 hour bump rule. Too many times here recently I find most OP'S will delete a bump, then bump again. Yes, I spend too much time on here.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Like I mentioned in the Afghan hack thread, a review of new memberships isn't a bad idea. Vetting a member doesn't have to be a complicated, time consuming process, but a simple review of those account registrations would have pegged the radar PDQ.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Waste of time.

Tried an overall change in the past. New mods, new classified rules.

Less than a year later here it is again.
    Well this time is different. Any good ideas would be helpful.

More mods.
    Enforce the 24 hour bump rule. Too many times here recently I find most OP'S will delete a bump, then bump again. Yes, I spend too much time on here.
    I can see all deleted posts and that rarely happens. I will address that problem directly tonight in my first release of some changes.

Like I mentioned in the Afghan hack thread, a review of new memberships isn't a bad idea. Vetting a member doesn't have to be a complicated, time consuming process, but a simple review of those account registrations would have pegged the radar PDQ.
    I have an idea for a backend system that we might start using. The problem with having to vet each person is that they will have to wait till an admin or mod is on to post. That could cause problems with people getting tired waiting. I am all for looking over new accounts after the fact and banning suspect ones within reason. I have actually done that the past couple of days.

SSL encryption for login.
    Good idea...but why? It is already encrypted via a hash on the server. I think there might be an easy SSL plugin...it just might slow things down a bit. I will look into it.

@ other respobses: I am on my phone at work and will try to address everyone tonight. As I said before...all ideas will be considered at the very least. Most will be discussed. Thanks for everything guys and thank you everyone who has PMd me.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Was referring to the delivery of the login information to you, not the storage of that info on your server. i.e., HTTPS for the login page.

Probably not going to trip anyone up, it's not online banking after all, but with public wireless AP's everywhere using open authentication, someone might get their login info grabbed.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Too many topics for a GUN FORUM. Consolidate.

These 10 topics could be discussed in Off Topic.
    1. Hurricanes.
    2. Emergency Services.
    3. General Finance.
    4. Sports.
    5. Special Legislature.
    6. Hand to Hand.
    7. Health and Fitness.
    8. Pets.
    9. Cooking.
    10. Science and Technology.

Combine Camping/Hiking/Fishing

Women Carry and Cleaning and Maintenance would be discussed under Handguns.

Drop the Bearpit and make pictures optional in the classifieds.

Stay focused on Bayou Shooter.

All Threads self lock after 180 days. Lock and Delete any Thread/Post you would not want your teenage daughter to read.

Great ideas

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    More mods.

All you have to do is point that out to me. I love deleting bumps and entire threads if there is a history of bump abuse.

Top Bottom