BayouShooter Improvements and Changelog

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I'm opposed to the idea about allowing replies to the classified ads.

Not being able to reply has probably saved many of the members from banishment, and encouraged some of the new ones to stick around.

As a solution or simple compromise, how about sub dividing the classifieds?
    1. WTS. pics, price, location & contact info beyond PM's (phone or email). No replies allowed
    2. WTT. Pics, value, location, & contact info. Replies allowed.
    3. WTB. Pics, price willing to pay, contact info. Replies allowed.
    4. Bearpit. Anything that doesn't follow the posting rules, or any make an offer type sale. Replies allowed.

Basically like it is now, but just a tad bit more organized and allowing for posting on the type threads that would actually benefit from replies

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I think allowing people to post in the classifieds section is a bad idea. I think the added time to moderate, issues with people abusing it to bump their posts, friends posts, and so on, just make it more trouble than it is worth. I would like to see the firearms section divided up more, perhaps rifle, shotgun, pistol, and others.

Search feature needs to search for multiple words and sort by relevance, as it is now, it searches for any word listed in the query and doesn't care about relevance at all.

Threads need to automatically lock after a certain period of time. If the thread needs to be unlocked or updated, someone can message a moderator to have it opened. Maybe even create a sub section in site issues for these requests.

This last one isn't really a site policy suggestion or anything like that, just a general one to people on here. I've seen a lot of crying and complaining about this site by people who keep coming back here. If you think this exercise of improvement is a waste of time or feel the need to talk down about this place on other forums, just leave. If you don't want to be here, nobody is stopping you from leaving.

Rebeldave

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Springfield la
    I think that when two of our members are having a spirited debate the moderator should put it in special thread with only their comments shown after 25 replies each We all vote and a winner is declared lololo

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I feel that the admins shoukd do their job. Allow posts in every thread. If someone steps out of line 24hr ban. 2nd time one week ban 3rd a month and after that see ya! If you poat anything in a selling thread that not is directly related to the op, such as a question or a ill take then it need to go to a pm and reply pm sent anything other than that lock them out the tread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Changelog added.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd suggest two classifieds sections, one that allows comments, one that doesn't. That gives the OP the option and he has to live with the results.

Another forum I'm on is very good at keeping bots out. Not that its a big problem here but their solution was to have new members submit a paragraph explaining what your favorite caliber was and why. An intro post should be mandatory.

There is a thread rating option that no one uses. How about an award for the highest (and lowest!) rated threads? Links to the highest rated threads could be put into a locked sticky. Maybe a best of section? The couch shooting, the airplane thread, the raccoon thread...

Someone above was complaining about off topic being too off topic and not enough firearms related posts. I've always thought of this place as a place for Louisiana firearms enthusiasts to hang out online, rather than just a gun forum. There are plenty of just gun forums out there- colt, arfcom, m4, glocktalk, etc... but none have the feel of this one.

I can't tell you the number of times I've wished for a fb style 'like' button!

I'm still waiting for the mods to chip in and open up the bs.com lodge and range!

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    In the top left of the page, there is a button labeled What's New, and right beneath it there is a smaller button labeled New Posts.
    As far as I can tell, these both do the same thing. Perhaps you could give one a different function.
    My best idea is that, when I hit What's New and nothing meets the criteria of "new" I get a link to search "last 24 hours".
    I think you should keep the What's New button as it is, filtered by the criteria "new" (I can't quite guess the parameters for that search)
    and make the New Posts button search by the "past 24 hours" filter.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Too many topics for a GUN FORUM. Consolidate.

These 10 topics could be discussed in Off Topic.
    1. Hurricanes.
    2. Emergency Services.
    3. General Finance.
    4. Sports.
    5. Special Legislature.
    6. Hand to Hand.
    7. Health and Fitness.
    8. Pets.
    9. Cooking.
    10. Science and Technology.

Combine Camping/Hiking/Fishing

Women Carry and Cleaning and Maintenance would be discussed under Handguns.

Drop the Bearpit and make pictures optional in the classifieds.

Stay focused on Bayou Shooter.

All Threads self lock after 180 days. Lock and Delete any Thread/Post you would not want your teenage daughter to read.

I like all of the above thoughts.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Consistency. What's good for one is good for all.

No comments in the marketplace.

Get rid of off topic. Go to Facebook for that nonsense.

Eliminate the trolls. IP ban them.

Eliminate the people with alter egos. IP ban them.

Eliminate the people who were banned and are back doing the same stuff they were doing before under a new name. IP ban them.

Austin, you can add those to the PM's I sent you earlier.

JR1572

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    I know i am still new,but my thoughts are,allow comments in the sale section,if the seller/trader/administration think someone is posting to much or is to aggressive ban him/her from posting in that thread.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    +1 Bosco. Special characters cause problems for Chrome. I have to go launch IE. Yuck...

You dont just delete the text? The URL doesn't need the name of the thread, just the thread number. These will both take you to the same place.

bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?116066-BayouShooter-Improvements-and-Changelog

bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?116066

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    +1 Bosco. Special characters cause problems for Chrome. I have to go launch IE. Yuck...

Hasn't ever worked in IE for me either.. I just do what Jack suggested to view them.

Would also love if they fixed the issue with posting links in Chrome

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?116066-BayouShooter-Improvements-and-Changelog/page2

D
    oesn't close the [/url] out properly as shown in this example when you post a link and the first letter of the next line ends up getting it. Been a problem since the last big upgrade.

Code:
    [URL="http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?116066-BayouShooter-Improvements-and-Changelog/page2"]http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?116066-BayouShooter-Improvements-and-Changelog/page2

D[/URL]oesn't close the

LOL the code tag doesn't actually allow you to post code? That's awesome... just pretend the begins before the http but doesn't... Chrome. Not a big deal just a small glitch.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom