.17 wsm!?!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clem131

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    BATON ROUGE, LA
    my experience with the round is very minimal at best. need less to say i was very pleased with the over all preference of the round given the circumstances. the amount of energy dumped into a one gallon jug at 100 yards was very impressive to say the least. minimal penetration. maximum energy dump on target. what more could you ask for in a varmint type round? but sadly the round at the moment cannot meet its potential bc currently there is no rifle on the market chambered in .17wsm other than the savage b-mag. and if you are not familiar most of the b-mags ive seen/held/fired/read about feel like they were put together my a blind child with in arms in a sweat shop in a third world country. the fit and finish is terrible to say the least and the "free float" barrel is being constantly pushed on by the cheap plastic stock. not to mention the silky smooth action that can only be compared to trying to push a fence post into concrete. whomever idea it was to put a cock on close bolt design on a very light rimfire should be stoned. but i digress... the round seemed to shoot very flat and as for accuracy even with a sub par rifle the gun produced sub moa results. i believe this round could potentially edge out the .17hmr but only time will tell. overall i'm very please with the round.

any of you have experience with the round? what are your thoughts? too expensive for rimfire? overkill? perfect? will you consider owning one? what do you guys think...

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I've been really interested in this round for a while now and you're the first I hear that actually found it. Thanks for the first hand input.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    my experience with the round is very minimal at best. need less to say i was very pleased with the over all preference of the round given the circumstances. the amount of energy dumped into a one gallon jug at 100 yards was very impressive to say the least. minimal penetration. maximum energy dump on target. what more could you ask for in a varmint type round? but sadly the round at the moment cannot meet its potential bc currently there is no rifle on the market chambered in .17wsm other than the savage b-mag. and if you are not familiar most of the b-mags ive seen/held/fired/read about feel like they were put together my a blind child with in arms in a sweat shop in a third world country. the fit and finish is terrible to say the least and the "free float" barrel is being constantly pushed on by the cheap plastic stock. not to mention the silky smooth action that can only be compared to trying to push a fence post into concrete. whomever idea it was to put a cock on close bolt design on a very light rimfire should be stoned. but i digress... the round seemed to shoot very flat and as for accuracy even with a sub par rifle the gun produced sub moa results. i believe this round could potentially edge out the .17hmr but only time will tell. overall i'm very please with the round.

any of you have experience with the round? what are your thoughts? too expensive for rimfire? overkill? perfect? will you consider owning one? what do you guys think...

I don't have any experience, but it seems a little better than .17hmr/.22wmr. I would consider owning one except for the Savage BMAG like you said.

However, there is also the Franklin Armory AR type gun that cost about 2k. Just throwing it out there. lol

MelGlass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    Abita Springs Louisiana
    The BMag is ugly as hell but they do shoot. Tested three different ammo when I got mine. Just one three shot group with each while sighting in. 3/8, 5/8 and 3/4. The crows, armadillos, coons, opossums and other critters don't think much of it.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I caved and ordered a BMAG target model. SS bull barrel with thumbhole stock. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I'm thinking of getting the BSA super 17 scope for it

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom