WTB Weatherby Action or Gun...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Im in need of a 378/416/460 Weatherby Action, anyone with an old gun they are wanting rid of , condition doesnt matter as long as the action is good. Need it for a build. Will pay good cash for it or trades.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    I have a friend that told me last week that he wanted to sell his 460 because he will never go to africa to use it since the guy that he was supposed to go with passed away. he had it for about 4 years and i dont think it has ever been fired

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    thanks for the lookin out guys, no a 300 wont do, i need it to make a necked down 378 mag, so its got to hold a 378 cartidge, the 416 and the 460 are the same cartridge as the 378, just different neck sizes.

Draggin, if hes got a 460 in good condition is worth far more than i can give him, cuz id just be tearing it apart, a good 460 is worth over 2k as a stock gun.

cajuncutter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2007
    Shreveport
    It would be tough to tear the gun down if he let you have it for 8 or 9 hundred bucks :eek3: I am almost tempted to make that guy an offer on the 300 I sent you the link to. Are the German stamped guns worth any more then the Japan ones? I only own one cause it was given to me as a gift from a buddy of mine so I am not real educated on the older Weatherby guns.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    cajun, take it out of the stock, on the underneath of the barrel it may say J.P Sauer(yes sig sauer guys), if it does, it could be worth more than a new one. (over 2k) depending. Now the odd thing about the Jap ones is that they seem to be more accurate, and actually finer tooled than the rest.

If he lets it go for 800-900 ill take it,lol.

If you ever come across a Weatherby Crown Custom for under 2k buy it, fast! they avg about 8-10k in value, and alot of them are turning up @ estate auctions and being sold by someones grandkids. heres a sample of one..

CrownCustom.jpg

cajuncutter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2007
    Shreveport
    :eek5:
    If I sent the guy a message about looking undrr the barrel and it does turn up a Sauer he will probably research it and then up his price. It is worth a shot for an investment. I currently have over 17 grand tied up in AR's right now but as soon as they start to move I may ask the guy to take a look and make him an offer. Thanks for the heads up

cajuncutter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2007
    Shreveport
    by the way my early to mid 70's model is a Jap job not german so I would be wasting my time taking it out of the stock.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    If you buy it, and take it out of the stock, there will be a pair of numbers near where the barrel meets the action , under the stock, thats the year it was mfd.

cajuncutter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2007
    Shreveport
    Well I never have good luck at having something unique. Went through my grandmothers dime collection she left me over 20 years ago. I do not know why I pulled the things out but started reading about key dates and coins. I had every "key date" however did not have the right stamps. Instead of having a d stamp worth 300 to thousands of dollars I had the crappy old s stamped coins lol. So I never hold my breath on this stuff.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    well i have a rare one,lol. But seems nobody here spends $3500 on a rifle. My .257 is the only one there is, made by weatherby, and there will never be another one. SN# 1776 it holds a steady .257 MOA grouping if you can hold it steady. thats what i use to shoot empty .223 cases @ 100yrds.

German Weatherby's are a somewhat saught after gun, however i wouldnt say they are the best shooters, many people have trouble shooting the heavier rounds accurately due to the twist rate of the sauers.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    LR,

I have a couple of questions:

Why are you looking for a Weatherby action? Couldn't you do what you want to accomplish with a custom action at less cost than scavanging an action off of a .460?

Why are you set on making this a 7mm-.378? It would seem to me that you could accomplish your goal by using a .416 Rigby or .338 lapua case. The .378 - .460 cases are just belted Rigby cases (the .338 L is a slightly shortened, necked down Rigby). you could avoid the belt which serves no purpose other than advertising; and design a cartridge that doesn't have that "venturi shoulder". On top of these factors, if you necked down a .338 Lapua, you would have the benefit of Lapua brass.

Just food for thought

cajuncutter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2007
    Shreveport
    That is the thing no one is paying that kind of coin right now for a bolt action rifle so I would be a little affraid the investment would not be a good one. Right now people seem to be willing to sell off their first born to get an AR LOL. If I could afford to have a collection of Weatherby's in different cals I would do it, great guns! My favorite to shoot out of my buddies collection is the 270. That is one sweet gun. The 300 is a mule and if you are on a bench and too relaxed you will pay, dearly. LOL I let a buddy of mine shoot it after bragging on his 300 win mag, he changed his tune about how bad his win mag was. While changing his tune I thought he was going to have to change his shorts, a few choice words came out of his mouth when it gave him a good kick in the shoulder. Anyway I will resume this later this evening. If you find out the actual date using my number let me know. I am going to go pick up my daughter and go to the farm for some 4 wheeling and shooting.
    Later!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom