New here looking for advice.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruseturner71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Lake Charles, LA
    Hi I am a casual shooter (maybe 3 boxes every six months). I am looking a buying my first AR-15. I would like to get the best value for money. Not sure if should be looking at brand names, are there some I should look for, and some to stay away from? Any advice would be helpful.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I thoroughly enjoy my SW MP15. I believe was a good choice as my first AR. Reliable and eats every type of ammo it's fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Welcome to BS,
    As for your question I have literally found that the cheapest AR's issues of fail to extract and double feeding can be fixed for under $10.00 by changing out the factory ejector spring and extractor spring. I usually swap these out when I get new AR's and also give them a bit of a trigger job. I actually picked up a lightly used DPMS oracle (less than 60 rnds out) and haven't even test fired it yet but already do not like the trigger pull but overall its a decent basic AR for the price they run new for around 650-750 depending on where you shop good luck and if you have any questions or need help everyone here seems full of knowledge

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Welcome. I believe that any factory built gun would be OK for an entry level gun (S&W, DPMS, Spikes, BushMaster, Windham, etc) depending upon what you have to spend. If you can afford more, maybe look at Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense and other upper level guns. Personally I'd stay away from "bulit" guns that everyone was building from parts kits during the shortage - unless you know that the person doing the building knew what he was doing. There are many good "built" guns out there but I like a factory warranty since I am a mechanical moron.
    (I am a range officer and see a lot of cheap factory guns work fine and a lot of "built" guns with problems, FWIW.)

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    You can get a complete rifle from them for under $700 and it will be higher in quality than anything anyone else is selling for under $900.

A few days ago I recieved an email from the and they were selling complete kits for $500. The only thing that needed to be done was assemble the lower and add sights.

Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member