Looking for input on single shot breech loading rifles for primitive weapons season

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    You can also purchase the 357mag on the sb1 frame and ream it to 357 Maximum. Great deer round, very little recoil. The SB1 receiver is plenty strong to handle the pressures of the MAX. The ammo is/was available online, can't get it at Walmart though.

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    I have several including the 444, 45 Colt, 45-70 , 35 Whelen and .357 Maximum. The .357 Max in H&R SBii is sweet and the 45-70 in the H&R Buffalo Rifle is a one rag hole shooter. The kids love the Colt and the Max, although they can now shoot any centerfire during not-so-primitive season. The TC Encore just feels so good in your hands until you touch the trigger. Go with what fits your budget and you will be fine. Spend the difference on the glass and ammo.

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    One thing to keep in mind about the Handi. If your initial purchase is .44Mag, .357, or any of the shotgun calibers, they are built on the SB-1 frame which is made of ductile cast iron and cannot be fitted with any of the rifle calibers. They usually have a larger firing pin which often causes primer flow problems. It is "possible" to home fit rifle barrels on these frames but a very poor idea as cast iron doesn't stretch, it fragments rather violently. These frames will only be fitted by the factory with the above calibers. Rifle calibers come on the SB-2 frame which is investment cast heat treated steel and has a smaller firing pin. These can be fitted with any caliber the factory makes EXCEPT magnums, the frame won't take it and the factory doesn't make 'em. Get a rifle caliber as your first purchase and you can go most anywhere from there. GW

If it is a recent factory offering of 44 mag or 357 mag the SB1 frame has a small firing pin. Some have had their shotgun receivers fitted with these lower pressure rifle barrels and sometimes have primer issues.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing to be aware of with the Max, it's pretty much a hand load proposition. No big manufacturers load it, there are at least a couple of smaller loaders that do. Remington makes a run of brass about once a year, so you stock up when you find it, tho case life is great. It's a very good game cartridge a limited ranges, say 200yd or so, I know of one fellow with a contender using a 180gr bullet that took an elk one shot at a lasered 225yds. Haven't tried mine on game yet. It's a 24" barreled SS, 16" twist, that puts 3 190gr WFN cast PP in less than 1/2" with heavy charges of A1680, I don't publish my loads on forums. A1680 seems to be the powder of choice tho others are not quite as good, such as 4227, 2400, and Lil Gun, I believe that the pressure runs a little too high to suit me. One other thing, if you're gonna convert a Handi, make sure you use a Rifle reamer, not the pistol type, there is a difference. GW

Last edited:

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    One thing to be aware of with the Max, it's pretty much a hand load proposition. No big manufacturers load it, there are at least a couple of smaller loaders that do. Remington makes a run of brass about once a year, so you stock up when you find it, tho case life is great. It's a very good game cartridge a limited ranges, say 200yd or so, I know of one fellow with a contender using a 180gr bullet that took an elk one shot at a lasered 225yds. Haven't tried mine on game yet. It's a 24" barreled SS, 16" twist, that puts 3 190gr WFN cast PP in less than 1/2" with heavy charges of A1680, I don't publish my loads on forums. A1680 seems to be the powder of choice tho others are not quite as good, such as 4227, 2400, and Lil Gun, I believe that the pressure runs a little too high to suit me. One other thing, if you're gonna convert a Handi, make sure you use a Rifle reamer, not the pistol type, there is a difference. GW

This is absolutely correct. Rifle reamer...............AA1680 and 190 gr Ranch Dog, water dropped with a touch of linotype. Good to go..........

yipper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Unfortunately .357 max brass or the limited on-line producers of finished rounds are dang near impossible to find now. It has taken me nearly a year to assemble the components to put together some rounds for the .357 mag rifle I bought last fall and reamed to .357 max. Probably would've done just fine sticking with the 44 mag, but the possibility of 38 special, 357 mag and 357 max out of one rifle seemed to good to pass up. Although I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many rifles, this has been more of a chore than I thought it would be.

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    The 357 max brass is a pain to get but ammo is available http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=357maximum Buy a couple boxes to tide you over for brass and put out a few alerts. When Remington does a run, jump on it and stock up. It's too bad there isn't more interest in the max, it's a great little round in the right application.

+1 on the couple boxes to tide him over. Been working on my original 20 rds of brass for several years now (I do have more than that). Lost count of the # of reloads a long time ago. I would venture to say 20x's at least, maybe 40x's. Max brass is very durable.

Last edited:

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    i have a H&r in the 44mag love it for a swamp gun can't see more than 100 yards anyway and little lims dont seem to borther it to much.

ChiefShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I suggest giving the .444 a try. I got an H & R a few years ago. Now, it is all I carry the whole season. It is compact and accurate. I dropped an 8 point a 170 yards easily. It will go much further. I am using Hornady ballistic tips.

Regardless, have fun looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom