Oregon State Police Gun Fight

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Do you need a better reason to keep getting as much training as possible!? Its not getting any easier for our law enforcement or law abiding Joe. Expecting to only have to confront a gangbanger or crack head with 0 to little firearm know how is no longer a reality. It is obvious the bad guy had firearm experience by just the stance he took when engaging. Later it was learned he served in the U.S. Army Reserve as a construction engineer from 2009 until 2012.

Note that during the engagement, bad guy was hit in the chest. He was found dead with a single bullet to the chest a half mile down the freeway. As you watch the video, you assume he is uninjured as he gets back into his vehicle and drives off. Just goes to show that a single center mass hit does not mean immediate incapacitation.

The officer was also hit on his side but was treated at the hospital and released. Maybe his vest helped, I don't know.

Thanks again to our law enforcement for going out day after day. It takes a very dedicated individual b/ it certainly is not for the high pay.

Oregon State Police Thursday released a dramatic video showing the gun battle that unfolded in August on Interstate 84 about 100 miles east of Portland, ending in the death of a Portland motorist.

The freeway confrontation lasted only moments, according to the patrol car video from the Aug. 29 episode. The video, released to The Oregonian after a public records request, starts as Trooper Matt Zistel stops a Cadillac driven by John Van Allen, 34. Allen had three of his children with him that afternoon as he pulled over near Biggs Junction.

The video shows Allen stepping out of his car and assuming a military pose. After Zistel repeatedly tells him to get back in his car, Allen pulls a pistol from his waistband, advancing on Zistel and firing. The video doesn’t show Zistel.

After shots are fired, the video shows Allen returning to his car and driving off. He was shot in the chest but the video shows no obvious injury.

Zistel radios, “Shots fired” and then moments later, “I’ve been hit in the side. I’m okay.”

Responding officers found Zistel suffering a gunshot wound. They found Allen’s car a half mile down the freeway, parked on the shoulder. Allen was dead, shot once in the chest.

Zistel was treated for his injury at a hospital in The Dalles and released. He has been on administrative leave. Zistel, 26, has been with the agency five years.
    In a subsequent investigation, Sherman County District Attorney Wade McLeod concluded Zistel was justified in shooting Allen.

Relatives said Allen was returning to his native South Carolina at the time of shooting. They said the aggressive action was out of character. He moved to Portland from Pittsburgh. He served in the U.S. Army Reserve as a construction engineer from 2009 until 2012.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I feel bad for the kids, but let us hope they will get better guidance now that "dad" is out of the picture.

They said the aggressive action was out of character.

Let me guess: "he had hit some hard times, but was just turning his life around." ********.

Last edited:

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    In a subsequent investigation, Sherman County District Attorney Wade McLeod concluded Zistel was justified in shooting Allen.

You think?????? After watching that video I think it is crazy that an investigation was even needed.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

You think?????? After watching that video I think it is crazy that an investigation was even needed.

It has to be done for a lot of reasons but I'm sure it wasn't hard to clear the officer in this case.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Glad to see that the good guy won and the bad guy is dead! Gun fights like that don't happen to average everyday non-LEO people very often. I keep a gun in my truck when not at work but I dont carry very often. Call me naive but I dont think it is that bad in general out in the non-getto world.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    The 2 main points I wanted to show here are:

1- Not all adversaries are street thugs. Some may have some training.

2- A single center mass hit may NOT eliminate the threat right away.

After some real life incidents, I thought I knew enough for any future confrontations. After some quality training, I realized I know nothing and it was very naive on my part to think otherwise.

I have seen a number of dash cam videos over the years, but something about this one really got me thinking. I was just hoping that by sharing it, it would get just one person to analyze it and realize they may need to REALLY think about what it takes to make it home after such a confrontation. (i.e. possible road rage incidents ect...)

I hate to say it but there are some shady characters that have come out of the military and are now part of civilian society. It may be hard for our country to accept. It’s been happening for years in third world countries. Hell, its even spilling over from Mexico. At times reality is ugly but I prefer to keep my head out of the sand.

Last edited:

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    He must have been hopped up on something. A gunshot wound to the chest and you can't even tell he's been injured when he runs back to the vehicle.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    He must have been hopped up on something. A gunshot wound to the chest and you can't even tell he's been injured when he runs back to the vehicle.

Have you ever blown the heart or lungs out of a deer and found it dead 100 yards from where you shot it?
    What happened was not that unusual.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wow, that guy was dressed in military fatigues. How many people let their guards down when they see a person decked out in their fatigues? Hell, I approach them, stick my hand out to shake theirs, and thank them for their services.

What an absolute nightmare for the kids to witness, and to subsequently watch their father collapse and die; possibly and most likely without any understanding as to what or why just happened.

Cop must have suspected something or got some intel, before the pull-over?!? He was lucky; prepared or not!

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    The threat indicators on this guy scream from the video...no previous intel on the part of the officer needed.

OSP are using Speer Gold Dot 180 JHP

Top Bottom