Automatic Weapons and LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireworksman3

Skilled
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Walker
    I have a question. Don't know if it has been discussed before but I was wondering what the law/policy is on LEO's owning fully automatic weapons such as AR15's or M16's and the like. If you are a LEO can you legally own, as a personal, non department issued firearm, a full auto weapon?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    If you pay your tax stamp and register it in your name with the ATF, just like any private citizen does.

Being a law enforcement officer has absolutely nothing to do with it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Anyone can legally own a personal fully auto firearm if they pay all the proper taxes and fees associated with it :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have a friend who work at the sheriffs dept and from want he told me they can have them but they are registered to the sheriffs dept and if they are fired, quit ect the dept keeps it. I believe that is correct.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have a friend who work at the sheriffs dept and from want he told me they can have them but they are registered to the sheriffs dept and if they are fired, quit ect the dept keeps it. I believe that is correct.

Yup. SWAT teams and the sort have good uses for them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Bladerunner

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Love this forum. I learn something every day. I never knew that "AR-15s and the like" were automatic weapons. Guess I'd better run to the post office and get a stamp, huh?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Love this forum. I learn something every day. I never knew that "AR-15s and the like" were automatic weapons. Guess I'd better run to the post office and get a stamp, huh?
    Many police have converted AR15s.

Simply adding a disconnector does not change the model.

saj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    FYI, prior to the M16, the original select fire rifles sold and used by the Airforce were AR 15s.
    There are 2 types of ownership we are talking about. Ownership by the agency in which the gun belongs to the agency (no matter who pays for them, post and pre samples) and personal weapons that are papered and purchased by the individual officer (transferrable, unless officer is a class III dealer then he can have pre and post samples) which are his/her personal gun.
    My agency has utilized full auto (2-3 round burst was the norm with MP-5s) in SWAT operations. There were no issues in court. Depends on how much documented training and whether lethal force was necessary.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish

I know you're being sarcastic, but what are you getting at?

Not everyone knows that AR-15's are semi-automatic firearms. Many times, especially in the media, the term "automatic" is substituted for the correct term of "semi-automatic".

Some AR's ARE fully automatic. Some M-16's ARE semi-auto. If someone isn't clear, I would certainly rather they ask and get correct information than remain ignorant to the facts.

Ignorance by the general public is HUGE problem facing gun owner's today. Many people don't know anything more about guns than they see in the movies or hear on the news. Don't assume because YOU know the difference that EVERYONE MUST know the difference.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I just assumed the OP knew the difference since full auto ARs are used as well as M16s, depending on the department, and that this was a question about police, whose department can own/use post-86 machine guns. Full auto / semi auto, like Leadfoot mentioned, is not cut and dry based on model name.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    To answer the OP's original question, which I should have been more specific earlier:

Any person who can pass the ATF background check process, which is much more thorough than the NICS check you go through at a gun store, and pays for a $200 tax stamp, be they law enforcement or not can legally own fully automatic firearms (IN SOME STATES).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom