FAL jamming woes...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DR.NUMBERS

Addict of the Arcane Arts
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    Hi guys,

My FAL regularly jams after a few magazines, normally 3-4. The bolt locks forward on a fired case and I usually have to use a rubber mallet and dowel to open the action. Pulling on the charging handle won't budge it.

Any idea what is wrong or what I should do to fix it? I've heard polishing the chamber might help but I'm a little worried about removing too much metal/creating a bad angle in the chamber.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    What "usually" happens to cause this is a lack of gas. The fired cartridge is removed but not far enough to eject then slammed back into the chamber it gets stuck, and I do mean stuck. You then learn the Pogo maneuver, right foot on charging handle, control the barrel with right hand, bounce the butt stock off the ground. May take a time or two to get the feel for it. Close your gas knob to cover more of the vent hole. Just cause one type of ammo works fine the next type may not have as much gusto, and cause these jams that's why the the system is adjustable,..also as it get's dirty more gas is usually required, or a good cleaning. There are other things that can cause this same malfunction, but lack of gas is by far the most common, if you still have trouble send me, or KajunTriton a PM we'll get you fixed up.

Last edited:

DR.NUMBERS

Addict of the Arcane Arts
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    Thanks for the advice. I will try a different gas setting and a few more mags first. I also need to check and see if the gas tube is clear.

Gunslinger:
    I'm not sure of the total round count, I bought the gun used. It is strange because I can usually get through a few magazines fine, and then it will jam. That's what makes me think it may have more to do with my gas tube/settings than the chamber.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I had a similar problem except that it did it every single time I pulled the trigger. Took it over to kajuntriton and it ended up being a headspacing/locking shoulder issue. Swapped out the locking shoulder and now it runs like a scalded dog.

http://www.andresguns.com/fal_headsp.php

To be honest with you if it jams every single time, it's not a similar problem.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    To be honest with you if it jams every single time, it's not a similar problem.

Maybe "every single time" was a bit of a stretch. "Most of the time" would have been better.

But I didnt read all of the responses, I just read that he was having a similar problem to what I had and was just trying to pass on what I had learned from a very knowledgeable person on the subject.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Either way it should be a fairly simple fix, the FAL's are easy to get in line, but start with the simplest most common ailment, then we can look at more in depth issues.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I can't see it being a gas problem. This happened after 3-4 mags. A gas problem would show up on the first mag. I've seen this happen to several Fals and it was the chamber. Either the headspace was to tight or it needed polishing. Take a close/ magnified look at the chamber in different Fal barrels. I've seen some that looked like the were cut with a dremel and some as smooth as glass. The smoother ones don't seem to have a sticking problem. The chamber reamer leaves small ridges and polishing doesn't increase the chamber size and greatly reduces friction in a hot chamber.
    The OP's problem is happening after the barrel / chamber is heated up.

Last edited:

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    Check to see if the recoil tube (in the buttstock) is gritty, greasy, oily, etc. If it's dirty enough it can slow down the recoil impulse and not extract the round before it looses momentum. This happened to my G-1 (lots of sand in the tube and weak recoil spring) so I changed out the recoil springs for new and cleaned the tube. No issues since. But like Tfal said- you can usually get a fix for a fal problem quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom