Transitioning from strong hand to weak hand???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    No disagreement here. There is no 180 off the range. But there's not exactly any sort of entrance exam for most any local club running a USPSA/IDPA/IPSC match that I'd heard of. So when you have any random gun owner jack coming up - sees someone else doing something and looking fast and cool, if he goes to try it... I'm just pulling that situation out of my ass, tbh, however it is a large organization who probably has their own level of liability to concern themselves with. Besides, it's just gun golf. It shouldn't be mixed up with real-world strategies 100%, and I don't think anyone that takes gun golf seriously as a sport has a problem with that. (hopefully)

We're on the same page on this one, for now at least.

JR1572

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    I'm saying if you're carrying a gun defensively, you should be able to draw your gun with your weak hand.

JR1572

I completely agree with this, for the record.

The difference in draw I mentioned is for a specific kind of a stage, that requires drawing to an immediate weak-hand only string, in a specific kind of competition. It's useless anywhere else. It's a gamer's tactic, just like a hundred other things done differently in competition.

As Scooter pointed out, not everyone agrees... but I'm certainly not the only one that does it that way. I was taught how to do it by multiple Master-class USPSA shooters.

*In that specific situation*, I'm trading draw consistency for better control over the pistol while transitioning from strong to weak hand. It's up to the individual whether that's a trade-off worth making.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The USPSA has an outstanding record in regards to safety. Range Officers must be trained and certified and recertified each year. The safety rules are there to ensure everyone's safety, competitors and bystanders. We all know that we are playing a game. And it is fun!!!
    One thing to remember is, if there are rules, it's a game.
    Most of us are there to have fun, not to train to be street fighters. We do learn gun handling and manipulations that may help us in a SHTF situation. That would just be a bonus.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    The USPSA has an outstanding record in regards to safety. Range Officers must be trained and certified and recertified each year. The safety rules are there to ensure everyone's safety, competitors and bystanders. We all know that we are playing a game. And it is fun!!!
    One thing to remember is, if there are rules, it's a game.
    Most of us are there to have fun, not to train to be street fighters. We do learn gun handling and manipulations that may help us in a SHTF situation. That would just be a bonus.

Agreed, as well.

While USPSA is not exactly tactical training, it's far, far, better than slow-fire practice at a single target at an indoor range. I'd say the large majority of competitors understand the difference between competition gamesmanship and "real-life" tactical training.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I may have been unclear and for that I apologize. This was meant in the context of USPSA matches. I've only known to draw with my right (strong hand) with a normal draw routine and then transfer to my left (weak hand) for shots that must be weak hand only. I was told from a GM that one way is to draw but grip more towards the bottom of the butt of the pistol and that it makes transferring to weak hand easier and faster as your weak hand has more of the pistol to grab a hold of and can get the webbing between thumb and index up higher on the grip more easily. I've tried that and it works. I just didn't know if their were any other specific training or techniques anyone knew of that could be beneficial in speeding up the transition but in a safe manner? Hope this clarifies or maybe I've just discombobulated the question further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I'm with Scooter on this one. I grip the gun on the draw the same way as if I were going to shoot freestyle or strong hand. Granted I don't put near as much emphasis as getting a hard squeeze when I know I'm transitioning to weak hand, but I still grip the same place. I've tried the grip low to allow more room for weak hand to grab the gun and it just does not work for me consistently. Ive tried it quite a bit in dry fire and found that it's harder to get a consistently low grip than it is to just grab it like you always do. It works and may even be a little faster if you can do it consistently at 100% speed, but I can't.

As far as getting faster at it theirs no magic technique. Choose one of the above and do it LOTS of times.

Top Bottom