10/22 for squirrel hunting - Optics question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have a 10/22 I plan to turn into a squirrel killing machine. I'm pretty sure it will get a Houge stock, probably keep the factory barrel, and definitely some upgraded trigger parts (I'm currently thinking VQ sear, hammer, and bolt release). Where I could use some advice is mounts/optics. I know I want an adjustable scope that will take some rough treatment and remain zeroed. I can't decide on what range of magnification to get. I've been using a cheap 2-7 on a different 10/22 which has done the job, but I want something a little higher quality for this build. I've been considering something in the 3-9 range because I like zoom in and make good head shots, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to keep the scope under $250. Also, I need suggestions on a good set of mounts/rings would be appreciated.

What do you use on your squirrel rifles?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    My squirrel gun has a Leupold Rimefire Special 2x7 with the fine duplex reticle. It's about 20 years old and I have no complaints. IIRC it was under $250, but that was back in 1993...

JR1572

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Just for the Hell of it. You can shoot a flea off of his sack! :mamoru:

1022.jpg

Seriously though, I would sell the 10/22 and buy a Marlin Model 60 and say to Hell with the scope. I'll outshoot my scoped 10/22 all day long with iron sites on my Marlin.

Last edited:

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    have 3 mueller 4.5 - 14 MPV's on a cz 452 lux, a savage bvss 22 me thinks, and on a savage 22 hornet single shot. all are very clear repeatable scopes w/ parallax adjustment down to 15 yds me thinks. their warranty is one of the best in the business, if you ever need it. we have not. buy w/ confidence. think we paid around $150 a copy several years ago. hope this helps, laura&vic

1funvet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Westlake LA
    have 3 mueller 4.5 - 14 MPV's on a cz 452 lux, a savage bvss 22 me thinks, and on a savage 22 hornet single shot. all are very clear repeatable scopes w/ parallax adjustment down to 15 yds me thinks. their warranty is one of the best in the business, if you ever need it. we have not. buy w/ confidence. think we paid around $150 a copy several years ago. hope this helps, laura&vic

I have the same scope.Great scope for the price.

Blue295

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Have a Weaver K4 on mine. Thousands of rounds, both hunting and plinking, and it is still going strong. Simple, clear and holds zero.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I had a Leapers 3-9 Bug Buster. It was phenomenal.. It had an AO as well. Cost me under 100 and is well worth it. It turned my 40 yr old Marlin 60 into a whole new gun.

Will focus down to about 10 yards

Last edited:

LA toolman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Where did you find a sale?
    I'm thinking of getting one of these also for a 10/22.
    I think it was 149 at Academy last week.
    What type of mounts did you get.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Where did you find a sale?
    I'm thinking of getting one of these also for a 10/22.
    I think it was 149 at Academy last week.
    What type of mounts did you get.

I got it from Dick's sporting goods online. It was on sale for 119, and I had a 10% off code with free shipping so it came out to just under 110. I looked on the website to give you the link, but it looks like its not there anymore.

I haven't picked a set of mounts yet.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    My scope is the 4x32 Nikon Prostaff Rimfire, and I've never seen a need for a variable scope on a .22 to hunt tree rats. 4x has always been more than good enough.
    And my rifle is the 10/22, with a Hogue stock upgrade. I don't change triggers, I learn the quirks of the one on the gun. In this case, it's not bad.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom