Can you easily make a dirt bike street legal in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I'm considering a dual sport motorcycle. It will be ridden 90%+ off road. Im 6'5" tall and I want a bike that will be comfortable for long trail rides. I've looked at the 650's (XR, KLR, DR, etc.) and they seem awfully heavy compared to the dirt only counterparts. The 250 cc versions all looked too small. I haven't been on a motorcycle since I had an XR200 in '94. So everything I think I want is what I learned from the web.
    It ssees that buying a CRF450 and making it street legal may be the best option if possible.

Any suggestions?

Also, is the Bonne Carrie spillway open for offload vehicle use?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    My first stop would be the dmv to see what paperwork is needed to title and register the vehicle. Then you would have to install all the safety items to have it inspected. Stuff like turn signals and a light for the license plate would be difficult to install. I don't think I have ever see it done.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You'll have to get with the DMV or Local Dealer(may help)
    to find out what you will need to be legal.

Head Lights and Tail lights, are the minimum.
    Some states are strict about the type of tires and also specifically require MIRRORS! Some don't.

So until you find out what's required, you won't be able to know which Dual-Sport Kit to get.

This kit provides everything but mirrors pretty much.
    http://northcoastmotorsports.com/pr...d=caaa0b439364d46ce909630c8534cef0#googlebase

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    you need an odo in la as well.

but i plated a 2008 ktm 200ex 2 stroke here. just got the title, got it insured, took the insurance and title to the dmv and told them i needed plates. they know nothing about bikes.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    you need an odo in la as well.

but i plated a 2008 ktm 200ex 2 stroke here. just got the title, got it insured, took the insurance and title to the dmv and told them i needed plates. they know nothing about bikes.

That still doesn't make it street legal. Needs to have an inspection sticker. And even with an inspection sticker, if an officer deems it unsafe to be operated on the highway, he will ticket you and have it towed.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Does Honda make a super moto version with that motor? If so, it'll be Street legal and only a tire and wheel swap will make it dirt.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Hummmmm???? Since when are dirt bikes not street legal?

Seems like them and 4 wheelers are street legal, I see them being ridden all over the back roads.

Especially, with three or four young kids on one 4 wheeler.........

God Bless America:}

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    No offense, but pretty much all of the info in this thread is wrong or incomplete.

I have made several bikes dirt bikes street legal, one of them an XR650R. The DMV is not likely to be of any help, unless you find somebody there who knows the details of this procedure. There is quite a bit of a grey area, depending on who you get. One of my bikes required a police officer to verify numbers, the other ones didn't involve any police.

The very key parts are a valid title (yes, off road bikes have titles, too), fulfilling the technical requirements (hi/lo lights, indicators, horn, mirrors, DOT legal tires) and passing a state inspection (before you get plates. Yes they will fail you for not having plates, but without inspection you can't get plates). It's complicated, non-standard, and requires stamina on your part. But it most certainly can be done.

I did my last bike a few years ago and frankly can't remember all the details. If you want to talk, send me a PM.

Honestly, with what's available today, you'd be much better off getting a modern dual sport. Less headache. Some of the brands (KTM being one) are so close to their off road only competition bikes, there really is no point.

My XR650R. Yes, a bicycle mirror and a battery powered bicycle speedometer do fulfill the letter of the law. I get stopped occasionally for my license plate being hard to read... These days I no longer ride on the streets, but having a plate is nifty for dirt road expeditions and connecting offroad trails. Or just getting off the trail for some food and gas.

396464999.jpg

396464994.jpg

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No offense, but pretty much all of the info in this thread is wrong or incomplete.

I'd like you to point it out if you could,
    instead of making a broad statement leaving everyone wondering exactly who you're talking to.

Especially considering that you basically repeated what was 'suggested' through a few post,
    but then said 'pretty much all the info in this thread is wrong'.

Last edited:

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    The Honda CRF250L and the XR650L are two factory street legal bikes by Honda. There's only about 40lbs separating the 650 from the 250 and part of that comes from the larger gas tank on the 650. There's also $2k separating them.....

Anyway I'm still doing research but the. Two above fit my needs and the CRF250L seems to do it for considerably less. I wonder of the 250 will feel to small with my 250lb frame. The last time I was on a 250cc dirt bike I was about 60lbs lighter.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have seen XR 400's and CRF450X models that are street legal. I have seen some for sale in Houston recently on Craigslist. Some times there are some on E-Bay for sale. I have had two 400's and five CRF450's over the years. 400 has a motor that is very electric, 450's have way more power, almost too much for the woods.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    I have seen XR 400's and CRF450X models that are street legal. I have seen some for sale in Houston recently on Craigslist. Some times there are some on E-Bay for sale. I have had two 400's and five CRF450's over the years. 400 has a motor that is very electric, 450's have way more power, almost too much for the woods.

So based on your 450's may have too much for the woods comment do you think the XR 650 is a bad choice too?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I get his point about the woods comment but in the end it's all about the driver. I knew a Bike Mechanic in Ruston who rode a CR500 like a damn tricycle. That bike scared the **** out me. Looked and felt like a damn horse. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    So based on your 450's may have too much for the woods comment do you think the XR 650 is a bad choice too?

XR650 is too much weight for the woods. It has the agility of a bus. Judging by the opening post, and not being disrespectful the gentleman might not have the experience for a 450. I raced hare scrambles, enduros and motocross for 40 years. Trust me there is nothing worse than someone riding above their skill level.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    XR650 is too much weight for the woods. It has the agility of a bus. Judging by the opening post, and not being disrespectful the gentleman might not have the experience for a 450. I raced hare scrambles, enduros and motocross for 40 years. Trust me there is nothing worse than someone riding above their skill level.
    Lol. I'm that gentleman. And you are right. I haven't been on a dirt bike in 20 years. I'm not looking for a race bike. I'm looking for something that is comfortable that will let me explore some fire roads and trails. Perhaps the XR250L is what I should be looking at. (or other 250cc dual sport).

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Lol. I'm that gentleman. And you are right. I haven't been on a dirt bike in 20 years. I'm not looking for a race bike. I'm looking for something that is comfortable that will let me explore some fire roads and trails. Perhaps the XR250L is what I should be looking at. (or other 250cc dual sport).
    That would be a good choice, an XR400 that would be street legal would work real good for you. Very smooth power delivery. Only 28 horsepower, but smooth torque. Good luck!!

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'd like you to point it out if you could,
    instead of making a broad statement leaving everyone wondering exactly who you're talking to.

Especially considering that you basically repeated what was 'suggested' through a few post,
    but then said 'pretty much all the info in this thread is wrong'.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. No offense was intended on my part. Let me rephrase that to "info provided so far is incomplete". Better?

Top Bottom