AAR:Advantage Group Gunfighter I : December 7th, 2013

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Gunfighter I : December 7th, 2013

Had an awesome time today. Weather was freezing and the wind didn't help, but at least we managed to stay dry.

I have previously taken Carbine I and Gunfighter II with Advantage Group. This entry level course really helped fill in some gaps in my fundamentals of handgun manipulation and implementation. Topics covered were proper Draw, Grip, Reload, Malfunction Recovery, Accuracy, Shooting around barricades, Multiple target engagement and more that I'm probably not remembering right now. The private range in Robert is an excellent facility. We shot cardboard silhouettes, steel silhouettes and steel plates. In this course, we concentrated on developing accuracy, rather than speed. The pace picks up a bit in GFII.

Nate is a great instructor with real world experience in effective combat shooting. Emphasis is placed on the combat mindset, as well as the technical skills required to survive a situation-gone-south.

I brought a buddy with me, who has been shooting his whole life, and the class was a real eye opener for him, illuminating the enormous difference between static range shooting and aggressive training. In his own words, "I could go to the range by myself 20 times and not learn a fraction of what I learned today." Not only do you receive top notch instruction from Nate (which you are in no way "required" to accept), but students are encouraged to watch and constructively critique each other.

This entry level class is recommended for novice and experienced shooters. You will learn something new, as I have in each class that I've taken with Advantage Group. Atmosphere is laid-back, but there is also strong emphasis on safety and making sure that everyone understands not just the "how" but also the "why." Not to mention, the price can't be beat. Estimated round count was 450 to 500, but I somehow managed to burn through nearly 600.

Special thanks to Chris from www.SportOptics.com and Interstate Guns (www.interstateguns.com), as well as Tommy for letting us use his kick-ass range. Carbine I is tomorrow and as exhausted as I am after today, I'm still jealous of the guys going out there tomorrow. Y'all have fun and be safe!

HERE'S A HAPPY GUN! :D

Last edited:

JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Thanks for the AAR. The class looks really interesting. I had been planning on attending, but couldn't rummage the 500 rounds or the cash this close to Christmas season. But now I'll be saving up for it.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the AAR. The class looks really interesting. I had been planning on attending, but couldn't rummage the 500 rounds or the cash this close to Christmas season. But now I'll be saving up for it.

Absolutely. I've said it here before- My schedule doesn't allow me to shoot as much as I'd like, but these classes help bridge the gap by making the best of every round that makes its way downrange.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Great class today guys! The cold really sucked but it gave us a chance to get some reps in with gloves so that was cool. Having extra layers on also added another level of difficulty. It was really awesome to see everyone's progression throughout the day. It was refreshing to see every student put out all day and it was interesting to see the intensity keep up after lunch when everyone's belly was full and it seemed to get colder. Guys that were really struggling at the start of the class showed great improvement and looked like they left with a feeling of accomplishment.

Carbine 1 tomorrow! Can't wait!

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I and 5 relatives and friends did both Gunfighter I and Carbine I . Even with less that optimal weather we had fun and learned a lot, Nate and Chris are great instructors.

Last edited:

Advantage Group

Train Hard
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Louisiana
    We had a great turnout of shooters with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience levels. Just a couple all-around great groups of students and we had a great training weekend despite some rough weather. Thanks for the support guys, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did and walked away with some valuable tools.

duvebebe.jpg

zu7e7ymy.jpg

aqerusag.jpg

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Looks like y'all had a pretty big group out there. Glad it was a good weekend. I really need to get out to one of your classes again soon...

Top Bottom