A1 Upper troubles.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I shoot one shot the gun cycles but doesn't pick up a round so I pull the charging handle back let it go and it then picks up the round. It does this every shot. I've tried 4) types of ammo and 4) mags that all work fine in my A2 so I'm sure it's not the ammo or mags.
    Any ideas what I should check 1st?

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    No, not really but I shot it after I cut the barrel down and it worked fine.

Are you just blowing into the barrel or using compressed air ? Plugging the chamber ?

Compressed Air and Yes.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Anyone know any tricks to see if the gas block is open ? Only thing I can see to do is pull the front sight block?

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    Are you able to try it on another lower? That would eliminate any issues with the buffer, spring, or tube. I would try that first.

Is the front sight pinned on? If so, its probably not clogged. If its a bolt-on the hole in the sight may not be lined up with the hole in the barrel.

Is the barrel factory?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Anyone know any tricks to see if the gas block is open ? Only thing I can see to do is pull the front sight block?

If your plugging the chamber and putting air through the muzzle and you're getting air through the gas tube then thats probably not your issue. That gas block is pinned, not a set screw, it's not going to move on you.

Are you using the buffer and spring I sent in the other box ? Or did it not show up yet ?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If your plugging the chamber and putting air through the muzzle and you're getting air through the gas tube then thats probably not your issue. That gas block is pinned, not a set screw, it's not going to move on you.

Are you using the buffer and spring I sent in the other box ? Or did it not show up yet ?

Man it feels like a ton of air is going though the tube to me.

Yes it is the buffer and spring you sent.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Are you able to try it on another lower? That would eliminate any issues with the buffer, spring, or tube. I would try that first.

Is the front sight pinned on? If so, its probably not clogged. If its a bolt-on the hole in the sight may not be lined up with the hole in the barrel.

Is the barrel factory?

I do have another lower I can try it on didn't even think about that.

Front sight is pinned.

It is a factory barrel but has been cut shorter.

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    Depending on what it was cut from/to the gas port may need to be opened up a bit. When you cut the barrel you cut the amount of time gas is flowing through the system. This issue will be more apparent in cold weather. So it may have shot great in warm weather but not cold.
    I would try the lower first. If that doesn't work you will likely have to open the port.

Also, you might just need to lube it. Ar's don't run well dry.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Depending on what it was cut from/to the gas port may need to be opened up a bit. When you cut the barrel you cut the amount of time gas is flowing through the system. This issue will be more apparent in cold weather. So it may have shot great in warm weather but not cold.
    I would try the lower first. If that doesn't work you will likely have to open the port.

Also, you might just need to lube it. Ar's don't run well dry.

Well it was pretty cold today.

I lubed the heck outta it but it didn't help.

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    Well it was pretty cold today.

I lubed the heck outta it but it didn't help.

Yeah didn't mean to insult. I just didn't know how experienced you were. Its a common issue.

Try the other lower. You might have a buffer that's too heavy. My guess, without putting hands on it, would be the barrel though usually they won't shortstroke EVERY time.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yeah didn't mean to insult. I just didn't know how experienced you were. Its a common issue.

Try the other lower. You might have a buffer that's too heavy. My guess, without putting hands on it, would be the barrel though usually they won't shortstroke EVERY time.

You didn't insult me at all! I'm thankful for any advice. I didn't know about the cold effecting it more. And I just wanted to point out that I did lube it well.

Thanks Lance

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom