The definition of the word run...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I see this word used a lot on forums. I looked at the definition, and I cannot seem to find "run" as a verb fitting how people use the word. Recent examples: running a watch, running a full size rail, running this holster, etc...

I copied the definition as found in a Merriam-Webster dictionary. Maybe I missed it, so if I did, I would appreciate if someone would point it out.

I was told that everyone started using this term because Costa and the Magpul guys used it and it exploded in popularity after that, kinda like RCS Holsters and beards. I don't know, but I would appreciate some help in getting to the bottom of it.

Thanks guys.

JR1572

Main Entry: run
    Pronunciation: \ˈrən\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): ran \ˈran\ also chiefly dialect run; run; run·ning
    Etymology: Middle English ronnen, alteration of rinnen, v.i. (from Old English iernan, rinnan & Old Norse rinna) & of rennen, v.t., from Old Norse renna; akin to Old High German rinnan, v.i., to run, Sanskrit riṇāti he causes to flow, and probably to Latin rivus stream
    Date: before 12th century
    intransitive verb
    1 a : to go faster than a walk ; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step b of a horse : to move at a fast gallop c : flee, retreat, escape <dropped the gun and ran> d : to utilize a running play on offense —used of a football team 2 a : to go without restraint : move freely about at will <let chickens run loose> b : to keep company : consort <a ram running with ewes> <ran with a wild crowd when he was young> c : to sail before the wind in distinction from reaching or sailing close-hauled d : roam, rove <running about with no overcoat> 3 a : to go rapidly or hurriedly : hasten <run and fetch the doctor> b : to go in urgency or distress : resort <runs to mother at every little difficulty> c : to make a quick, easy, or casual trip or visit <ran over to borrow some sugar> 4 a : to contend in a race b : to enter into an election contest <will run for mayor> 5 a : to move on or as if on wheels : glide <file drawers running on ball bearings> b : to roll forward rapidly or freely c : to pass or slide freely <a rope runs through the pulley> d : to ravel lengthwise <stockings guaranteed not to run> 6 : to sing or play a musical passage quickly <run up the scale> 7 a : to go back and forth : ply <the train runs between New York and Washington> b of fish : to migrate or move in considerable numbers ; especially : to move up or down a river to spawn 8 a : turn, rotate <a swiftly running grindstone> b : function, operate <the engine runs on gasoline> <software that runs on her computer> 9 a (1) : to continue in force, operation, or production <the contract has two more years to run> <the play ran for six months> (2) : to have a specified duration, extent, or length <the manuscript runs nearly 500 pages> b : to accompany as a valid obligation or right <a right-of-way that runs with the land> c : to continue to accrue or become payable <interest on the loan runs from July 1> 10 : to pass from one state to another <run into debt> 11 a : to flow rapidly or under pressure b : melt, fuse c : spread, dissolve <colors guaranteed not to run> d : to discharge liquid (as pus or serum) <a running sore> 12 a : to develop rapidly in some specific direction ; especially : to throw out an elongated shoot of growth b : to tend to produce or develop a specified quality or feature <they run to big noses in that family> 13 a : to lie in or take a certain direction <the boundary line runs east> b : to lie or extend in relation to something c : to go back : reach d (1) : to be in a certain form or expression <the letter runs as follows> (2) : to be in a certain order of succession 14 a : to occur persistently <musical talent runs in the family> b (1) : to remain of a specified size, amount, character, or quality <profits were running high> (2) : to have or maintain a relative position or condition (as in a race) <ran third> <running late> c : to exist or occur in a continuous range of variation <shades run from white to dark gray> 15 a : to spread or pass quickly from point to point <chills ran up her spine> b : to be current : circulate <speculation ran rife>
    transitive verb
    1 a : to cause (an animal) to go rapidly : ride or drive fast b : to bring to a specified condition by or as if by running <ran himself to death> c : to go in pursuit of : hunt, chase <dogs that run deer> d : to follow the trail of backward : trace <ran the rumor to its source> e : to enter, register, or enroll as a contestant in a race f : to put forward as a candidate for office g : to carry (the football) on a running play 2 a : to drive (livestock) especially to a grazing place b : to provide pasturage for (livestock) c : to keep or maintain (livestock) on or as if on pasturage 3 a (1) : to pass over or traverse with speed (2) : to run on or over in athletic competition <runs the bases well> <run the floor> b : to accomplish or perform by or as if by running <ran a great race> <run errands> c : to slip or go through or past <run a blockade> <run a red light> d : to travel on (as a river) in a boat <run the rapids> 4 a : to cause to penetrate or enter : thrust <ran a splinter into her toe> b : stitch c : to cause to pass : lead <run a wire in from the antenna> d : to cause to collide <ran his head into a post> e : smuggle <run guns> 5 : to cause to pass lightly or quickly over, along, or into something <ran her eye down the list> 6 a : to cause or allow (as a vehicle or a vessel) to go in a specified manner or direction <ran the car off the road> b : operate <run a lathe> c : to direct the business or activities of : manage, conduct <run a factory> d : to employ or supervise in espionage <run an agent> 7 a : to be full of or drenched with <streets ran blood> b : contain, assay 8 a : to cause to move or flow in a specified way or into a specified position <run cards into a file> b : to cause to produce a flow (as of water) <run the faucet> ; also : to prepare by running a faucet <run a hot bath> 9 a : to melt and cast in a mold <run bullets> b : treat, process, refine <run oil in a still> <run a problem through a computer> 10 : to make oneself liable to : incur <ran the risk of discovery> 11 : to mark out : draw <run a contour line on a map> 12 a : to permit (as charges) to accumulate before settling <run a tab at the bar> —often used with up <ran up a large phone bill> b : cost 1 <rooms that run $50 a night> 13 a : to produce by or as if by printing —usually used with off <ran off 10,000 copies of the first edition> b : to carry in a printed medium : print <every newspaper ran the story> 14 a : to make (a series of counts) without a miss <run 19 in an inning in billiards> b : to lead winning cards of (a suit) successively c : to alter by addition <ran his record to six wins and four losses> 15 : to make (a golf ball) roll forward after alighting
    — run across : to meet with or discover by chance
    — run a fever or run a temperature : to have a fever
    — run after 1 : pursue, chase ; especially : to seek the company of 2 : to take up with : follow <run after new theories>
    — run against 1 : to meet suddenly or unexpectedly 2 : to work or take effect unfavorably to : disfavor, oppose
    — run a tight ship : to have strict and exacting standards in controlling or managing something (as a business)
    — run by or run past : to present to (as for evaluation) <ran some ideas by her>
    — run circles around or run rings around : to show marked superiority over : defeat decisively or overwhelmingly
    — run dry 1 : to use up an available supply 2 : to become exhausted or spent <his inspiration had run dry>
    — run interference : to provide assistance by or as if by clearing a path through obstructions <ran interference for me with the press>
    — run into 1 a : to change or transform into : become b : to merge with c : to mount up to <their yearly income often runs into six figures> 2 a : to collide with b : to meet by chance <ran into an old classmate the other day>
    — run low on : to approach running out of <running low on options>
    — run one's mouth : to talk excessively or foolishly
    — run riot 1 : to act wildly or without restraint 2 : to occur in profusion <daffodils running riot>
    — run short : to become insufficient
    — run short of : to use up : run low on
    — run the numbers : to perform calculations
    — run the table 1 : to sink all remaining shots without missing in pool 2 : to win all remaining contests
    — run to : to mount up to <the book runs to 500 pages>
    — run upon : to run across : meet with
    — run with 1 : to use or exploit fully : make the most of <took the idea and ran with it> 2 : to publicize widely <the press ran with the quote>
    usage The past tense run still survives in speech in southern England and in the speech especially of older people in some parts of the United States It was formerly used in literature, and was a standard variant in our dictionaries from 1828 until 1934. Grammarians have generally opposed it, and many people consider it nonstandard. Just about everybody uses ran in writing now.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Someone is on a Derp fishing expedition.

Is it really that big of a deal ?

It's not a big deal at all. I'm curious. It's been being used very often and I looked at the definition and I didn't see they way it's used in the definition. I posted it to see if I may have missed something in the definition.

JR1572

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I know you said you run the Webster dictionary, but maybe you should try to run a different one. I run the tactical dictionary. It's painted flat black and cost twice as much as the civilian version.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You know it. I don't buy anything unless it meets his specs lol

•MOTOR51•

To be completely honest, I have watched a decent number of his videos. Some of them are informative, albeit severely dragged out in length, and present an interesting viewpoint that I wouldn't have thought of. I know a lot of people think he is all-knowing when it comes to reviews, but I'm just not seeing it. The guy puts decent effort into his stuff, but is too drawn out and too 'something' else that I don't like....but can't really put my finger on. Maybe he is a mall ninja at heart :P

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Shouldn't it be "operating"a lathe or Glock?

•MOTOR51•

Ronnie's definition seems to suggest they are interchangeable.

I see this word used a lot on forums. I looked at the definition, and I cannot seem to find "run" as a verb fitting how people use the word. Recent examples: running a watch, running a full size rail, running this holster, etc...

I copied the definition as found in a Merriam-Webster dictionary. Maybe I missed it, so if I did, I would appreciate if someone would point it out.

I was told that everyone started using this term because Costa and the Magpul guys used it and it exploded in popularity after that, kinda like RCS Holsters and beards. I don't know, but I would appreciate some help in getting to the bottom of it.

Thanks guys.

JR1572

Main Entry: run
    Pronunciation: \ˈrən\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): ran \ˈran\ also chiefly dialect run; run; run·ning
    Etymology: Middle English ronnen, alteration of rinnen, v.i. (from Old English iernan, rinnan & Old Norse rinna) & of rennen, v.t., from Old Norse renna; akin to Old High German rinnan, v.i., to run, Sanskrit riṇāti he causes to flow, and probably to Latin rivus stream
    Date: before 12th century
    intransitive verb
    1 a : to go faster than a walk ; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step b of a horse : to move at a fast gallop c : flee, retreat, escape <dropped the gun and ran> d : to utilize a running play on offense —used of a football team 2 a : to go without restraint : move freely about at will <let chickens run loose> b : to keep company : consort <a ram running with ewes> <ran with a wild crowd when he was young> c : to sail before the wind in distinction from reaching or sailing close-hauled d : roam, rove <running about with no overcoat> 3 a : to go rapidly or hurriedly : hasten <run and fetch the doctor> b : to go in urgency or distress : resort <runs to mother at every little difficulty> c : to make a quick, easy, or casual trip or visit <ran over to borrow some sugar> 4 a : to contend in a race b : to enter into an election contest <will run for mayor> 5 a : to move on or as if on wheels : glide <file drawers running on ball bearings> b : to roll forward rapidly or freely c : to pass or slide freely <a rope runs through the pulley> d : to ravel lengthwise <stockings guaranteed not to run> 6 : to sing or play a musical passage quickly <run up the scale> 7 a : to go back and forth : ply <the train runs between New York and Washington> b of fish : to migrate or move in considerable numbers ; especially : to move up or down a river to spawn 8 a : turn, rotate <a swiftly running grindstone> b : function, operate <the engine runs on gasoline> <software that runs on her computer> 9 a (1) : to continue in force, operation, or production <the contract has two more years to run> <the play ran for six months> (2) : to have a specified duration, extent, or length <the manuscript runs nearly 500 pages> b : to accompany as a valid obligation or right <a right-of-way that runs with the land> c : to continue to accrue or become payable <interest on the loan runs from July 1> 10 : to pass from one state to another <run into debt> 11 a : to flow rapidly or under pressure b : melt, fuse c : spread, dissolve <colors guaranteed not to run> d : to discharge liquid (as pus or serum) <a running sore> 12 a : to develop rapidly in some specific direction ; especially : to throw out an elongated shoot of growth b : to tend to produce or develop a specified quality or feature <they run to big noses in that family> 13 a : to lie in or take a certain direction <the boundary line runs east> b : to lie or extend in relation to something c : to go back : reach d (1) : to be in a certain form or expression <the letter runs as follows> (2) : to be in a certain order of succession 14 a : to occur persistently <musical talent runs in the family> b (1) : to remain of a specified size, amount, character, or quality <profits were running high> (2) : to have or maintain a relative position or condition (as in a race) <ran third> <running late> c : to exist or occur in a continuous range of variation <shades run from white to dark gray> 15 a : to spread or pass quickly from point to point <chills ran up her spine> b : to be current : circulate <speculation ran rife>
    transitive verb
    1 a : to cause (an animal) to go rapidly : ride or drive fast b : to bring to a specified condition by or as if by running <ran himself to death> c : to go in pursuit of : hunt, chase <dogs that run deer> d : to follow the trail of backward : trace <ran the rumor to its source> e : to enter, register, or enroll as a contestant in a race f : to put forward as a candidate for office g : to carry (the football) on a running play 2 a : to drive (livestock) especially to a grazing place b : to provide pasturage for (livestock) c : to keep or maintain (livestock) on or as if on pasturage 3 a (1) : to pass over or traverse with speed (2) : to run on or over in athletic competition <runs the bases well> <run the floor> b : to accomplish or perform by or as if by running <ran a great race> <run errands> c : to slip or go through or past <run a blockade> <run a red light> d : to travel on (as a river) in a boat <run the rapids> 4 a : to cause to penetrate or enter : thrust <ran a splinter into her toe> b : stitch c : to cause to pass : lead <run a wire in from the antenna> d : to cause to collide <ran his head into a post> e : smuggle <run guns> 5 : to cause to pass lightly or quickly over, along, or into something <ran her eye down the list> 6 a : to cause or allow (as a vehicle or a vessel) to go in a specified manner or direction <ran the car off the road> b : operate <run a lathe> c : to direct the business or activities of : manage, conduct <run a factory> d : to employ or supervise in espionage <run an agent> 7 a : to be full of or drenched with <streets ran blood> b : contain, assay 8 a : to cause to move or flow in a specified way or into a specified position <run cards into a file> b : to cause to produce a flow (as of water) <run the faucet> ; also : to prepare by running a faucet <run a hot bath> 9 a : to melt and cast in a mold <run bullets> b : treat, process, refine <run oil in a still> <run a problem through a computer> 10 : to make oneself liable to : incur <ran the risk of discovery> 11 : to mark out : draw <run a contour line on a map> 12 a : to permit (as charges) to accumulate before settling <run a tab at the bar> —often used with up <ran up a large phone bill> b : cost 1 <rooms that run $50 a night> 13 a : to produce by or as if by printing —usually used with off <ran off 10,000 copies of the first edition> b : to carry in a printed medium : print <every newspaper ran the story> 14 a : to make (a series of counts) without a miss <run 19 in an inning in billiards> b : to lead winning cards of (a suit) successively c : to alter by addition <ran his record to six wins and four losses> 15 : to make (a golf ball) roll forward after alighting
    — run across : to meet with or discover by chance
    — run a fever or run a temperature : to have a fever
    — run after 1 : pursue, chase ; especially : to seek the company of 2 : to take up with : follow <run after new theories>
    — run against 1 : to meet suddenly or unexpectedly 2 : to work or take effect unfavorably to : disfavor, oppose
    — run a tight ship : to have strict and exacting standards in controlling or managing something (as a business)
    — run by or run past : to present to (as for evaluation) <ran some ideas by her>
    — run circles around or run rings around : to show marked superiority over : defeat decisively or overwhelmingly
    — run dry 1 : to use up an available supply 2 : to become exhausted or spent <his inspiration had run dry>
    — run interference : to provide assistance by or as if by clearing a path through obstructions <ran interference for me with the press>
    — run into 1 a : to change or transform into : become b : to merge with c : to mount up to <their yearly income often runs into six figures> 2 a : to collide with b : to meet by chance <ran into an old classmate the other day>
    — run low on : to approach running out of <running low on options>
    — run one's mouth : to talk excessively or foolishly
    — run riot 1 : to act wildly or without restraint 2 : to occur in profusion <daffodils running riot>
    — run short : to become insufficient
    — run short of : to use up : run low on
    — run the numbers : to perform calculations
    — run the table 1 : to sink all remaining shots without missing in pool 2 : to win all remaining contests
    — run to : to mount up to <the book runs to 500 pages>
    — run upon : to run across : meet with
    — run with 1 : to use or exploit fully : make the most of <took the idea and ran with it> 2 : to publicize widely <the press ran with the quote>
    usage The past tense run still survives in speech in southern England and in the speech especially of older people in some parts of the United States It was formerly used in literature, and was a standard variant in our dictionaries from 1828 until 1934. Grammarians have generally opposed it, and many people consider it nonstandard. Just about everybody uses ran in writing now.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I think that usage predates tactical firearms. 20 years ago I used to hear car audio buffs up here use the term. Example: "He's running a fosgate and 2 12" kickers." I hear it used a lot lately when people are referring to the gear on their trucks like suspension and tires.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom