AR 15 trigger job for the home gunsmith

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Is it possible? Again i watched too many youtube videos. Ive read 30 or so forums and looked at many webpages about it. Most sat cut one side of the spring and bendanother to 25 degrees. Most say do not polish the sear and disconnect. What the generalopinion here? Just buy A Timney?

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Home type trigger jobs are no comparison to a quality trigger.
    I have seen that you have interest in 3-gun so I assume that is where your interest lies.

Two of the most popular AR triggers in 3-gun are the JP and AR Gold. Hyper-Touch is gaining a very good reputation.
    Some folks run the Geisslle as well, I have no experience with their 3-gun version but I do have a service rifle trigger (two-stage) from them and it is very good.
    They offer virtually no take up, are crisp on the break and very short positive resets.
    Go to the Brian Enos Forum there is a wealth of info there on all things 3-gun oriented.

Last edited:

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Doing that trick does work well-- but you may have ocassional misfires with 5.56 surplus ammo.

Do yourself a favor and order the ALG DEFENSE ACT trigger. It is only 60.00 is drops in. They are finished by Geissele and are properly done Milspec parts.

ALG Defense is owned by the wife of Geissele.

They make another lower cost model- QMT- for 40.00 but the pull is not as nice as the ACT. But it is still very good.

The ACT is the best 60.00 I've spent.

Google ACT trigger. Bought mine at Brownells

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Home type trigger jobs are no comparison to a quality trigger.
    I have seen that you have interest in 3-gun so I assume that is where your interest lies.

Two of the most popular AR triggers in 3-gun are the JP and AR Gold. Hyper-Touch is gaining a very good reputation.
    Some folks run the Geisslle as well, I have no experience with their 3-gun version but I do have a service rifle trigger (two-stage) from them and it is very good.
    They offer virtually no take up, are crisp on the break and very short positive resets.
    Go to the Brian Enos Forum there is a wealth of info there on all things 3-gun oriented.

When Donnie speaks, listen! I Do!

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Don't mess with an AR trigger except to change springs on it, too many issues if you try and "tweak" one, don't ask how I know that. And no that's not how I got my user name! Lol I now use a Hard single stage 1 1/2 lb pull for my long range gun. Love it!

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    For the price of quality drop in triggers I would just buy a one. If you screw yours up you will end up buying a new one anyway. You can always keep your stock one for a spare.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    My questions sounds stupid to most of you. I understand that. But thats why I ask them. I was looking last at a few drop ins when I found all the hype about the kitchen table trigger jobs. Im gonna order something. And I found my new quote..."""When Donnie speaks, listen! I Do! """ Thanks Guys

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've had two triggers "Tuned" by a guy on AR15.com and within a couple hundred rounds they started to double on occasion, now I'm back to a factory trigger.
    Really looking hard at a CMC trigger. Read really good reviews with only a couple issues that were promptly taken care of.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    If ARF COM was giving away free timneys id still tell them to go to hellllllll 4 years ago when I got my First Colt Match Grade Hbar i got on there and did alot of reading. After months I asked a few questions. I made a comment about my doublestar shooting as well as my Colt. OMG did the trolling begin. Never agin will I go back to that sight. Ill just leave my trigger alone for now. I think its gritty but ive only put 20 rounds of pmc through it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If ARF COM was giving away free timneys id still tell them to go to hellllllll 4 years ago when I got my First Colt Match Grade Hbar i got on there and did alot of reading. After months I asked a few questions. I made a comment about my doublestar shooting as well as my Colt. OMG did the trolling begin. Never agin will I go back to that sight. Ill just leave my trigger alone for now. I think its gritty but ive only put 20 rounds of pmc through it.

For a quick "break-in" to smooth it up a little, remove the upper and dryfire it (catching the hammer with your thumb to prevent hitting the lower) a couple hundred times. You can do this in about 10 minutes. Then clean and apply a dab of grease to the contact/sear surfaces.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Real glad someone in the know has said it. The thing was almost too scary looking to drop in my rifle, but I like it better than my Timneys.
    Thank you sir.

The reset is really fast and can be appreciated by one with quick fingers.

Last edited:

Hammar

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Metairie
    If you are going to make Poplarville tomorrow, I have the geissele SD 3 gun trigger in my rifle and my buddy has the SD-E in his. You can feel each and get an idea.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have had good accuracy results with my Doublestar. Above average factory trigger IMHO.
    Changed to RRA 2stage, better.

Geissele SSA-E on higher dollar AR, fugetaboutit!

8541 tactical has great review of Hipertouch trigger. Me want one.

Can't go wrong with any of the other triggers mentioned. All good options and advice IMO.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I want to try one of these
    http://megaarms.com/ar-15/accessories-2/trigger/

mtt801-b-trigger-3quarter1.jpg

AR15NEWS-300-Blackout-AR-Pistol-Build-16-1024x682.jpg

Staff online