What's it worth? CMP Winchester Garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    So I've been thinning out the herd and I'm on the fence on this one. The receiver is Winchester and one other part. The rest is a mix master from what I remember. What a good asking price for it? I also have 4 30cal cans of ammo

Thanks

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    CMP has them all day long at $525 to $625. Price usually depends on the condition, commonality of parts, muzzle wear and throat errosion.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    One just sold on CMP site for around 900. Also, check completed auctions on Gunbroker.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    CMP has them all day long at $525 to $625. Price usually depends on the condition, commonality of parts, muzzle wear and throat errosion.

There's been nothing cheaper than $625 for quite a long time now. But yes, that sounds like it would qualify as a service grade model because of the mix-match parts. CMP is at $625 for those but gunbroker.com shows them substantially more than that.

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Thanks guys for the PMs. And for the one's who think this is only worth what ever is cheapest CMP has to offer right now quit giving out Garand advice
    Well, you don't give allot of information nor do you provide pictures. What are folks suppose to use as a benchmark? It's great that it's a winchester but that doesn't mean a whole heck of allot if the rest is a hodgepodge of different parts. You're not giving folks much to go on.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    Thanks guys for the PMs. And for the one's who think this is only worth what ever is cheapest CMP has to offer right now quit giving out Garand advice

If such an expert to be able to tell others to stop giving advice, then maybe you shouldn't be asking the question.

And just since we compared it to the cheapest that CMP has today doesn't make it a bad benchmark. What they have in stock today are service grades and better. How do we know that yours isn't a field grade. In which case out estimates may have been high!

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Rather harsh guys.

For my OPINION, as with any rifle condition is paramount to value. That being said, Winchester receivers (even mixed part guns) get more interest from collectors and garand groupies; along with a usually (slightly) higher price tag. Variables include import marks on the gun ect...
    Photos would help, otherwise try to find someone in your area to look at the gun.
    Non corrosive 30-06 has been selling for +- .50 so depending on your ammo and # of rounds there is a ballpark price. CMP garands in graded condition are available at the prices above.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The CMP pricing structure and availability has gotten complicated . Not like it was even 5 - 6 yrs ago . I have a Garand that would probably be "Correct " grade easily . $1500 wouldn't touch it . Don't be hatin' because somebody wants more than the CMP price . That's what it's worth to them , so be it . They're not making any more " real " Garands . ;)

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    The CMP pricing structure and availability has gotten complicated . Not like it was even 5 - 6 yrs ago . I have a Garand that would probably be "Correct " grade easily . $1500 wouldn't touch it . Don't be hatin' because somebody wants more than the CMP price . That's what it's worth to them , so be it . They're not making any more " real " Garands . ;)
    I don't think anyone is hating on the op. While it's true winchester is highly prized it is never the only driving factor. If it is just a Winchester receiver and it has a terrible stock and a bunch of worn out non matching parts, then I figure it's not worth premium money. Without pictures and more info no one can venture an honest value.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    There were 20 service grade Winchesters in Anniston the week before my visit in June 2013. One was left when I got there with poor bore numbers and mismatched wood. Out of the 18 feild grade Springfeilds there were only 3 that I really liked.

CMP prices would work if we all lived in Anniston. If I wanted a rebuilt H&R, I'd mail order it and save the sales tax money. From the M1s I saw, I wouldn't want a field or service grade unless it was hand picked.

Top Bottom