Survival knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    Obviously one knife can't do it all perfectly, so what knives do you guys have that you would trust your life on if need be? For me it would be my busse team gemini light brigade (that might change when I get my NMSFNO in or if I decided to get a Busse battle mistress) and for smaller work I just ordered a GSO 4.1 by Survive! knives in CPM-20CV steel, the American equivalent of Bohr M390.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Tops dawn warrior. Excellent knife. Lifetime warranty. If it fails in anyway they replace it for free.

love mine

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    kukri ftw

I guess i would use my ontario kukri i use it for clearing brush etc love the way it handles and the way it keeps a edge even after using it all day. Other than that I can't buy into the whole survival thing I don't think there is a knife out there that covers everything for survival.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    Are you talking about a bushcraft knife or fighting knife? Mora makes some great bushcraft knives that come sheathed with sharpening stone and fire steel. A very useful rig. As for fighting knives. Make mine a gun with lots of bullets. Yes I own several benchmades; bark rivers; kershaws to name a few.

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    Are you talking about a bushcraft knife or fighting knife? Mora makes some great bushcraft knives that come sheathed with sharpening stone and fire steel. A very useful rig. As for fighting knives. Make mine a gun with lots of bullets. Yes I own several benchmades; bark rivers; kershaws to name a few.

Well more general purpose, so a large knife

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    If it came down to it, the Strider SNG that's in my pocket 365 would do it. Like it was said above though, seriously any knife is much better than no knife - yes, I realize that's a little funny sounding coming from someone with a $400 pocket knife.

I have a SRK 6" fixed blade that I carry for hiking, etc, in addition to the SNG. If I had time to grab one more that'd be it. Depending on exactly what the situation was I'd take my SNG and a short machete over a survival knife... pretty much anything except urban survival, I'd rather have a machete.

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    My ESEE 6 can do about anything I need it to outdoors related, and you could probably clean your finger nails with it too.

Lately Ive been carring a Spyderco Manix 2 XL, and its a tank of a knife for a folder.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    you're more likely to need to turn a screw,, cut fences (or other wire) etc, than to have any use for a big belt knife. Or you'll need to move all the way up to a machete. I went with vise grip type multitool, "hand chain saw", a replaceable blade scalpel (and spare blade) and the lid to one of my (carry 2, nested) 2-quart canteen cups is made of thick, tapered, sharpened steel, so that it can be hafted if I need a "chopper". there's real tools buried near the drums of food, so why bother to carry a bunch of them, no further than I'm going? It's just more stuff to rattle, wear holes in the kit, get lost, etc. You're going to need a REAL shovel, hoe,. rake, axe, mattock, pick, screwdrivers and a lot of other stuff, soon after shtf. Just having a big knife aint going to cut it.

Chopping makes noise, best avoid things that make noise, once shtf.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2014
    Amite, Louisiana
    I have used my Cold Steel Trailmaster San Mai for years and it is absolutely outstanding. Stays sharp forever and it never fails. It is an expensive knife ,yes, but you definitely get good quality that will last a lifetime. And if not, you got yourself a warranty.

S

Shirleydavis

knife for survival.. could use it to cut rope, trees or maybe throat..haha

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom