Colt LE6920 vs LE6920 SOCOM

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I've been eyeing the 6920 for a few months now and saving some cash to hopefully buy one soon.
    I see that the 6920 is basically the base model. The SOCOM version looks like it has a rail system and different sights. Can anyone tell me what else is different between the two versions? Colt's website wasn't much help. Thanks in advance.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    The 6920 SOCOM is technically the same M4A1 carbine we had in the army. Same knights armament rail, same barrel (except the issued ones were 14.5 not 16") and I'm pretty sure it has the same BUIS we were issued.

No select to fire between semi and burst.

Any other input? Corrections to what I may have stated in error?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    The 6920 SOCOM is technically the same M4A1 carbine we had in the army. Same knights armament rail, same barrel (except the issued ones were 14.5 not 16") and I'm pretty sure it has the same BUIS we were issued.

No select to fire between semi and burst.

Any other input? Corrections to what I may have stated in error?

Thanks. I've noticed most places have about a $300 difference in price. Are the upgrades on the SOCOM version worth it? I'm not familiar with the Knights rail. I think the sights are around $100 or so.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    Thanks. I've noticed most places have about a $300 difference in price. Are the upgrades on the SOCOM version worth it? I'm not familiar with the Knights rail. I think the sights are around $100 or so.
    Yes, I think the Knights rail is alone about $300. Those handguards are ridiculously priced!

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Yes, I think the Knights rail is alone about $300. Those handguards are ridiculously priced!

I might just get the SOCOM model. It gives me the option to mount accessories to the rail without having to change out the handguard (is that the correct name?) that comes on the 6920. Plus I'll save some labor from not having to install the rail. Now I just have to start hunting for the best price.

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    The new SOCOMs do not come with the KAC rails anymore. They use Troy drop in rails which, according to a few who used them a good deal, are not a good; they tend to start to move where as the KAC rails stay solid. The provided KAC rail covers do not cover the Troy correctly either.

In the 2013 models the SOCOM adds over the base 6920: heavy under the hand guard barrel profile (M4A1) that does NOT have the flats cut for a M203, Matech BUIS instead of the M-BUIS, of course the RAS with covers, side sling adapter, standard M4 stock instead of Rodgers's SS, ambi-safety selector, Colt USGI mag instead of the P-mag, and the "M4A1 CARBINE" rollmark instead of "M4 CARBINE CAL 5.56 MM".

You can get a Knight's RAS "blem" for $150 with panels directly from KAC. Or pick one up second hand, don't ask don't tell, LNIB for $100-150. You can get a LE6920 for $1100 all day long, $990 online; SOCOMs run $1500, $1400 online. If you want the M4A1 rollmark or want another Colt to add to the collection, like I did, go for the SOCOM. Otherwise you can probably come out cheaper with the base 6920 and buy the upgrades separate.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Just found it for $1379.99, although not currently in stock. http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/113775
    I was surprised to find it at Wally World this morning. I couldn't see what all was included with it though. I know that usually manufacturers make different packages for the big box retailers. Anyway, their price is $1497.99.

Kurt, forgive my ignorance, but why do the markings matter?

Last edited:

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    The Walmart one is identical to everyone else's. They come from Sport's South. I bought mine from my store when we got our 25% discount this past Christmas.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I'd buy the Walmart Colt and change our the Handguards for a Troy Tube. The KAC is antiquated, too short, and over priced.

Top Bottom