12 gauge bulk packs at Walmart

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I recently got my first shotgun (Maverick 88 with 28" barrel) and want to try my hand at shooting clays. I noticed two brands of bulk packs at Walmart: Winchester Universal ($20.97) and Federal Multi-Purpose ($23.67). I don't have any experience with either but have read that the federals are good stuff and that the winchesters are crap. Does anyone have any experience with either?

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I've shot both out of my shotguns and haven't had any problems with either brand. Walmart's around here usually only have one or the other so I just get whichever is available.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I like the 250round cases of herters or Remington from cabelas. It's what I use every year for all the quail hunts. I go through about three cases a year.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    For just playing around, I've used both. I don't hunt so I can't comment on the suitability of them for that purpose. That's not a bad price if I'm thinking of the same shells. At the Covington Wal-Mart they are $27.99 if I recall. I asked once about them matching the price from another Wal-Mart location and I was told they won't since they are not in competition with themselves. I usually stock up on a couple of them when I go to Thibodeaux. I'll stop at either the one in Raceland or Boutte where they are $5.00 cheaper.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have used the Federal with no problems for skeet but last year before dove season I picked up 6 cases of RIO from Academy for $4.99 per box 6 boxes per case and had a $5 off per case deal going on. Im on my last case now. Out of 5 cases I have had one shell not fire. Other than that they have performed well.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks for the replies :)

I'm mainly going to play around at the range, so I'll just get whatever's cheapest or on sale then.

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    i've got a couple of shotty guns that have locked-up shooting the winchester bulk rounds, sticking in the chamber. no problems w/ the federals or remington tho. your mileage may vary. laura&vic

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Have heard a lot of complaints about winchester rounds sticking / failing to extract. Federal has never given me any issues

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    Now that you mention it, the other day at the skeet range, I had several failure to eject/ caught in the chamber rounds. I chalked it up to me not having cleaned my 870 in a while but I had been shooting the winchesters. I will have to see if it happens next time I go shooting. (I have since taken it completely apart and cleaned and lubed the crap out of it.)

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I've had two or three fail to eject with the Federal that I bought at Wal-Mart. But this was 20 gauge, not 12 gauge, in my Maverick 88.
    Never had any issues with the Federal or Winchester in the 12 gauge Maverick 88 though.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I try to stay away from any shells with the steel or aluminum or whatever kind of metal head it is. It expands in the chamber and can wedge itself in making it hard to eject the shell. I try to stick with shells with the brass head because I have had that other stuff get stuck in several of my shotguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Both Federal and Winchester make good products. The more important factor in clays shooting is shot size. For skeet, #8 or 9 shot is preferable. For trap and sporting clays, it's 7 1/2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom