Dry fire damage?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    OK I have a friend who is selling his Mathews dual cam bow. He paid $800 for it 6 years ago. It was accidentally dry fired by someone looking at it. The person used 3 fingers to pull it back and when he tried to bring it back to rest the string slipped out of his fingers from about half draw. Is this bad? What kind of damage would that cause and how can you determine the severity? Thanks in advance.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    From what I understand, those bows can take that and not have any issues. They are designed to be able to handle that now.
    But if it was to cause damage it would be in the limbs, cracking of the limbs. So double check the limbs, then once you see it's ok (which it should be), work your buddy down on the price because of it :)

J.Ellis

One for the road
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Madisonville,LA
    The limbs would take most of the abuse from a dry fire but I would also check out the strings and Cams. Especially where the string and the cams meet around the half way point where it was dry fired.

If it was at the half way point then the bow should have suffered no damage. I have seen limbs explode because of some jack ass trying to prove a point that you could dry fire a bow but he shot it from full draw and it was a 80lbs pull.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Bows made in the last 8-10 years are incredibly strong.

Just take it to a Bow Shop and let them put it on a press to check everything over.

If you can't do that, just check the frame for any cracks(NOT LIKELY and likely not possible with today's bows)
    and always replace the string on any (used) bow you buy.

To be honest, unless it's LOADED with lots of arrows I wouldn't pay but around $400 for that bow.

If you look on LA Sportsman Classifieds you can find 2-3 year old Bows Loaded for $400-700.

06' is 7 years old and Dry Fired?

Last edited:

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    TAKE IT TO A BOW SHOP! No matter the age, old or new bows can be damaged during a dry fire. The limbs might have cracking you can't see that a bow tech might. It is not something to mess around with.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I've seen everything from no damage to popped strings, popped cables, bent cams and split limbs on a dry fire. One I saw recently needed both cams replaced. After they were replaced, the owner shot the bow around 100 times and brought it back in with a cracked limb. These are recently manufactured bows I am talking about. Have it checked out thoroughly by a competent bow mechanic.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I dry fired mine a couple yrs ago (Bowtech Assassin), just plain forgot to knock an arrow. Needed a new string and both cams replaced. +1 on taking it to a shop to look at.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    It was explained to me that ANY amount of a dry fire impacts the life of the limbs at a minimum, i.e. if a bow would have been good for 30,000 arrows, a dry fire like that may manifest as a cracked limb in 20, 100, 500, 1000 arrows depending.

Compound bows do indeed depreciate like rocks, go onto an archery forum if you want to buy used.

Elite is the only company I'm aware of with a transferable lifetime warranty.

Ken's Archery in Slidell = two thumbs up, Lee is a very knowledgeable and patient man. Got me all set up and fitted, couldn't be happier with how that went.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom