Interesting article on Putin's handling of Crimea and Georgia

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I dunno about that. I think Giap got all of the US Mil he could handle. And Hitler didn't even have the US on his radar.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    and that ship is there now > http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/15/uss-truxton-black-sea-exercises-crimea-russia-ukraine

ddg103b.si.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The ICBMs are a non-factor because using them is an End Game with no End Game. It's hard to push him around because Germany, France, and The UK have little to no will to push him around.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    ICBM's I don't see being anything more than a feasible threat. sure, he ...could, but they'd be heading back his way as well.

Dictators all have one thing in common: they want to remain dictators living off their people. nuclear war would put an abrupt end to that.

highest probability of a CBRN on american soil is a clandestine terrorist attack supplied by one of the aforementioned countries... which I think we will certainly see in our lifetime.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    ICBM's I don't see being anything more than a feasible threat. sure, he ...could, but they'd be heading back his way as well.

Dictators all have one thing in common: they want to remain dictators living off their people. nuclear war would put an abrupt end to that.

highest probability of a CBRN on american soil is a clandestine terrorist attack supplied by one of the aforementioned countries... which I think we will certainly see in our lifetime.

What would our response be if he lobbed one onto our fleet and didn't strike continental US?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Hitting a moving target on an ocean isn't what ICBMs do. Of he used a small tactical device against a Vessel or Group of Vessels I would expect the response would be NATO, in fairly short order, dismantling the entirety of Russia's Conventional Military Capability.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Putin wouldn't attack the fleet lol.

Liken that theory to the idea of N. Korea "nuking california". They can threaten, broadcast, televise, and scream it a thousand times to get international attention (and negotiate for $$$$)... in the end we know that deep down they know better.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A Ukrainian official has apparently stated they are planning to withdraw their military from Crimea, according to the AP.....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140319/AP09/140318427

Also:

Ukraine's security chief says that the country will hold joint military exercises with the United States and Britain.

Andriy Parubiy, the secretary of the National Security and Defense Council secretary, said Wednesday that Ukraine will hold maneuvers with the countries that signed the 1994 Budapest Memorandum. He didn't give any specifics.

The document was signed by the U.S., Britain and Russia to guarantee Ukraine's territorial integrity after it had surrendered its share of Soviet nuclear arsenals to Russia.

Ukraine has accused Russia of breaching the agreement by taking over the Crimean peninsula.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    This. You can't push Russia.

Well, I'm sure you can, I was just gaming it in my head and asking here because we have a few really well informed members that excel at war theory.

If he were to hit our fleet, would it be difficult to maintain air superiority? What's their airforce like these days? Do we have any bases in that region?

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Hitting a moving target on an ocean isn't what ICBMs do. If he used a small tactical device against a Vessel or Group of Vessels I would expect the response would be NATO, in fairly short order, dismantling the entirety of Russia's Conventional Military Capability.

I agree with this. Russia doesn't have the large, powerful and technologically advanced military that we were taught to fear as children and young men during the Cold War.
    Putin isn't an idiot. He knows he has a couple of economic strings to pull, and he knows perception and indecision by certain foreign officials are in his favor. He will take advantage of any weakness he is allowed. But- He also knows his military doesn't have the capability to withstand any coordinated attack by NATO forces.
    15-20 mins of quick research will tell you what you need to know in reference to military capability, age/condition of equipment, average flight hours logged per year for combat pilots, etc.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Well, I'm sure you can, I was just gaming it in my head and asking here because we have a few really well informed members that excel at war theory.

If he were to hit our fleet, would it be difficult to maintain air superiority? What's their airforce like these days? Do we have any bases in that region?

All of Western Europe is filled with Airbases. Not to mention massive bases in The Baltics and Poland. The threat of military force from Russia isn't all that credible. There are some near term economic levers Russia can pull vis a vis Natural Gas it supplies to Europe. However that's winning the battle at the cost of the war. If Europe starts fracking and importing gas from the US, North Africa, and Canada it's economies
    Will hum right along on e those supply chains are ironed out. What will Russia do without a market easily reachable by pipelines? The Russian economy is a One Trick Pony. Kind of a House of Cards propped up by oil and gas cash. Any force they exert on the Gas and Oil market will hurt Europe in the short term but has the potential to undo Russia in the mid to long term.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    All of Western Europe is filled with Airbases. Not to mention massive bases in The Baltics and Poland. The threat of military force from Russia isn't all that credible. There are some near term economic levers Russia can pull vis a vis Natural Gas it supplies to Europe. However that's winning the battle at the cops of the war. If Europe starts fracking and importing gas from the US, North Africa, and Canada it's economies
    Will hum right along on e those supply chains are ironed out. What will Russia do without a market easily reachable by pipelines? The Russian economy is a one
    Trick Pony. Kind of a House of Cards propped up by oil and gas cash. Any force they exert on the Gas and Oil market will hurt Europe in the short term but has the potential to undo Russia in the mid to long term.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the lesson.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    personally im more concerned that they begin 'misplacing' nuclear devices or outright selling components to the highest bidder thats willing to burn our flag.

Top Bottom