Pawn Shop Finds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Seriously. In one week. After years of hitting the pawn shops, two in a row.

409019749.jpg

Made in 1966.

409006176.jpg

Made in 1956. Pre 29 .44mag. Correct grips incoming.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    +1 for how much?

Pawn shops used to be my weapon of choice for rare guns and guitars, but technology did that in. Now any clown can google a serial number and find out its value.

Onto garage, estate, and storage sales.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    my only pawn shop score ever was "an old guitar that's been here for years" - I asked to see it anyway.

Upon seeing it, I asked what he really wanted, that I'd fix it up and make it a little project guitar if it wasn't going to cost me too much. He said "200.00 and I'll give ya the case, its what we got in it".

My first Gibson Les Paul, all it needed was a restring and a little tlc. Total investment was ~300.00, sold it a few years later for 800 (which is still a hell of a deal)

I can never find a stellar deal on guns in there- I still prefer the internet and random gun shows to roll my dice.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    my only pawn shop score ever was "an old guitar that's been here for years" - I asked to see it anyway.

Upon seeing it, I asked what he really wanted, that I'd fix it up and make it a little project guitar if it wasn't going to cost me too much. He said "200.00 and I'll give ya the case, its what we got in it".

My first Gibson Les Paul, all it needed was a restring and a little tlc. Total investment was ~300.00, sold it a few years later for 800 (which is still a hell of a deal)
    Those Les Pauls are a rare jewel. The owner of the company I used to work for bought a 1959 Les Paul for $200 back in 1961 when he was in college. Kept it in pristeen condition all these years. It now sits in Joe Perry's hands for, I'm told, a cool half million. Now THAT was a return on investment.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    To answer a few questions,

before these two, I haven't found anything this cool in pawn shops in years. It was just dumb luck.

The .44mag was labeled "29-3", I knew with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder that couldn't be right. Thought it was a 29-2, but wondered why it didn't say "29" anywhere on the gun. Since I had just bought a 29-2 (8 3/8") on here, I actually passed on it first. Decided a 4" model would be nice to add to the collection and went back the next day. Didn't know what I had bought until I started researching it. Paid $640. Found the correct "cokes" for another $350, so all in all, this wasn't a steal, but what a cool gun. I know I'll feel like Elmer Keith every time I shoot it. This is from within a year of when he got his first . 44mag, with a total of around 3000 produced by then according to my research. Not very many of those were 4" models, so that's a rare gun. Not collector condition, no box, but that doesn't mean anything to me. I want to shoot it, I'm a .44mag nut.

The Python is a 2 1/2" model. Non original grips, no box. Came from a shop I had passed by many times thinking it was a cash checking place. Only when I noticed the tiny sign on the door that said "pawn" did I decide to take a look. They had three handguns total. A High Point, a Rossi and..., well, a snub nose Python. $1100.

Like I said, dumb luck. The two shops were 80 miles apart.

NickelPython357

Revolverist
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Great finds, I would have bought them both myself. I have always wanted a 2 in Python especially in nickel. I found a 4 in. nickel Python in a pawn shop years ago for 450 dollars. Of course I bought it on the spot. Second best find was a Colt detective special that was filthy and had a big chunk missing from one grip panel. I got it for 200 bucks cleaned it inside and out put on some new factory grips and had a great gun that I later sold for more than twice that. Used to make the rounds to lots of local pawn shops at least once a month, but I don`t see much of interest anymore and the prices are usually over the top. BTW that nickel Python, I still have it.
    PICT0011.jpg

Uglyducky

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Dahlonega, GA
    Man that Python was a score!!! If you wanna make some fast cash on it send me a pm. I'll take it off your hands

Top Bottom