Anyone work on ztr mowers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I've got one that the motor is near shot on. I can replace the motor for about $1k but would like to know what it would cost to rebuild the current one. It's a toro 50" with a kohler courage 21hp.

Thanks.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    FWIW use an oil additive which contains zinc in your small engines. No catalytic converters to worry about. Much better protection. Mandatory to use it in flat tappet gas engines especially during break in.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Shot how? Smoking, knocking? I personally wouldn't put much into a kohler engine or buy a new one. If you must buy a new one, that one runs 850-1000 depending on where you get it.
    I am going to guess that if it came originally with a 21 go kohler it is a sub $3000 mower, maybe a toro? (Could have it pegged wrong) if so, it is not worth spending that much on and you are better off buying a new mower.
    If it is a 21hp single cylinder like I am thinking, it is not a great engine to start off with.
    If you love the mower and must keep it, I would reccommend replacing the engine with a Kawasaki, Honda or Subaru/robin engine. Longer lasting, quieter and just a better engine.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Shot how? Smoking, knocking? I personally wouldn't put much into a kohler engine or buy a new one. If you must buy a new one, that one runs 850-1000 depending on where you get it.
    I am going to guess that if it came originally with a 21 go kohler it is a sub $3000 mower, maybe a toro? (Could have it pegged wrong) if so, it is not worth spending that much on and you are better off buying a new mower.
    If it is a 21hp single cylinder like I am thinking, it is not a great engine to start off with.
    If you love the mower and must keep it, I would reccommend replacing the engine with a Kawasaki, Honda or Subaru/robin engine. Longer lasting, quieter and just a better engine.

It's smoking burning oil and knocking some. Low power. At the end of last cutting season it was running ok. Not like it used to. I ran it out of oil, when I realized what was going on I shut it down. Got it running again but now you can tell it's not what it used to be. Steering is slowly going out, I assume that's a filter that needs to be cleaned or changed. It's an 07 that's cut a lot of grass. Body and deck are still in pretty good condition.

Thanks for all the replys.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    It's smoking burning oil and knocking some. Low power. At the end of last cutting season it was running ok. Not like it used to. I ran it out of oil, when I realized what was going on I shut it down. Got it running again but now you can tell it's not what it used to be. Steering is slowly going out, I assume that's a filter that needs to be cleaned or changed. It's an 07 that's cut a lot of grass. Body and deck are still in pretty good condition.

Thanks for all the replys.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom