My running log, by JR1572, hijacked by AustinBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I've been running since the end of January. I'm going to post about my progress on here. People do it with their shooting, I'll post about my running. Maybe it will encourage others to start doing it, maybe it won't.

Either way, yesterday I ran 1.51 miles in 14:38. It isn't the greatest, but for being 37 and weighing around 210, I'm not disappointed with my progress.

JR1572

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    not bad! never had the distance bug in me, other than the occasional 5k.

I mix interval sprints in with training and rarely run 1 mile runs for time as a measuring stick.

currently I'm doing 30-sec sprints at ~13mph during HIIT training, last mile clocked at 9-ish

shooting for 1 minute sprints and a sub-7 mile by July.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    not bad! never had the distance bug in me, other than the occasional 5k.

I mix interval sprints in with training and rarely run 1 mile runs for time as a measuring stick.

currently I'm doing 30-sec sprints at ~13mph during HIIT training, last mile clocked at 9-ish

shooting for 1 minute sprints and a sub-7 mile by July.

I need to do some speed work. I'm having trouble right now due to all the pollen and the weather not being as hot as I like.

I cannot wait for the summertime. I much rather run in the heat and sweat than run in the cold and deal with wind.

JR1572

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Not bad -- I always hated running for time during my military days. I could play B-ball and Racquetball for hours but despised running from point A to point B in a set time. My knees are shot now so running is a no-no for me but I do ride the heck out of my bike. During OTS, my best time for my 2 mile run was 15:20 -- but that was many years ago in a far away galaxy!!!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Not bad -- I always hated running for time during my military days. I could play B-ball and Racquetball for hours but despised running from point A to point B in a set time. My knees are shot now so running is a no-no for me but I do ride the heck out of my bike. During OTS, my best time for my 2 mile run was 15:20 -- but that was many years ago in a far away galaxy!!!

I hate running, but it's working so well for me I cannot stop.

JR1572

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Good idea JR & keep it up.

All you bikers and swimmers be sure to employ some resistance training if possible. It's proven that zero impact workouts, while good for joints, is statistically correlated with greater bone loss/osteoporosis. Just something we've been learning about here at school.

All exercise is good exercise though.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

All you bikers and swimmers be sure to employ some resistance training if possible. It's proven that zero impact workouts, while good for joints, is statistically correlated with greater bone loss/osteoporosis. Just something we've been learning about here at school.

Thanks Speedster!

JR1572

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Biking and zero impact...bleh! Come try the trails with me on one of the weekends and we will see what is zero impact, haha!

Awesome job JR! Keep it up and keep us up to date! I started running again about two weeks ago and have started noticing improvements already. Three days ago I ran a 7.5 min mile followed (after a three minute walk) by a 3.5 minute half mile. In two weeks I have cut over two minutes off my mile time.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I do the occasional 5k and that's my limit for running. I like a faster pace of cycling. I've completed eight century rides and have logged over 20k miles since 2000. Mt. Biking is another favorite of mine.

I enjoy cycling so much that 5 years ago I started offering my very affordable services to cyclists in BR, DS and Ascension. If anyone ever needs service, repairs or a custom build let me know.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Completed the zydeco half marathon in Lafayette yesterday...my second half this year...one year ago about this time I just started to run 1-2 miles.

Keep it up!

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Just bought a mountain bike and been trying to ride 4 to 5 miles every evening. Time is my my problem. Sometimes I get home from work to late. On Saturday and Sunday I do more.
    The bike really is a work out if you push it hard. It's been a week and I feel better.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Completed the zydeco half marathon in Lafayette yesterday...my second half this year...one year ago about this time I just started to run 1-2 miles.

Keep it up!

Awesome. My goal is to get as close as I can to running 2 miles in under 16 minutes.

JR1572

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Nice work...Be patient with it. Gradually increase the training load(mileage) and you'll be able to avoid overuse injuries, etc.
    How many MPW are you running right now?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Nice work...Be patient with it. Gradually increase the training load(mileage) and you'll be able to avoid overuse injuries, etc.
    How many MPW are you running right now?

I change it up usually. I was just running 1 mile, but since Saturday, I did 1.40, 1.5, and 1.5 again today. I plan on taking tomorrow off and go back at it Wednesday with 2 miles. Maybe. I'm open to suggestions.

JR1572

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You'll increase your speed and stamina by increasing the distance you run. I'd definitely suggest upping the distance every week or two. I started running back in November and plateaued pretty quickly until I switched my goal from speed to distance. By the time I was comfortable running 5K, my first and second mile times had dropped significantly. Someone explained it to me like lifting the same weight at the gym every time you go. It'll get easier, but you'll never get stronger.

The only other thing I've learned is that I greatly underestimated the importance of stretching and warmup. I don't half ass those anymore. It makes all the difference between finishing a run energized and feeling good and finishing a run tired, sore and cramping.

I've also read running inclines/hills is a great way to increase speed as well, but finding hills in south Louisiana ain't exactly easy...

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    You'll increase your speed and stamina by increasing the distance you run. I'd definitely suggest upping the distance every week or two. I started running back in November and plateaued pretty quickly until I switched my goal from speed to distance. By the time I was comfortable running 5K, my first and second mile times had dropped significantly. Someone explained it to me like lifting the same weight at the gym every time you go. It'll get easier, but you'll never get stronger.

The only other thing I've learned is that I greatly underestimated the importance of stretching and warmup. I don't half ass those anymore. It makes all the difference between finishing a run energized and feeling good and finishing a run tired, sore and cramping.

I've also read running inclines/hills is a great way to increase speed as well, but finding hills in south Louisiana ain't exactly easy...

Yeah, I need to increase the distance. I'm sure being a good 2 mile runner would make me a better 1.5 mile runner etc...

I don't feel worn out after the runs. I feel better after than I do before.

The running path in the neighborhood goes up and down, but it isn't exactly hilly.

JR1572

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah, I need to increase the distance. I'm sure being a good 2 mile runner would make me a better 1.5 mile runner etc...

I don't feel worn out after the runs. I feel better after than I do before.

The running path in the neighborhood goes up and down, but it isn't exactly hilly.

JR1572

Add in some wind-sprints. Lightpole sprints are great. Sprint between a lightpole, walk / jog one, sprint, repeat. My advice for getting better at running is run to the point where you are absolutely gassed and tired. Just like you want to work out your muscles to fatigue, running to fatigue yields the same results.

Top Bottom