Contender users

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    Do any Contender users out there have any experience changing barrels from a bull barrel to an octogan. My internet searches have not been conclusive. I am asking for some one with actual experience to answer my question as to whether or not it is the same as just switching barrels. I am going to use mine to teach 4H shooting sports and I thought an octagon barrel might be lighter and easier to handle than a bull barrel. Dave

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have no real world experience with octogan barrels but I am certain it will require changing the forend. I also believe the bull to octogan swap should work otherwise. It is also my belief that while reducing the overall weight of the gun will thus make it easier for young shooters to hold up, it will also markedly reduce muzzle weight and negatively affect the balance. I always found a little muzzle heavy balance helped in holding a steady sight picture, especially out to 100 yards.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    No experience with the octagon barrels either but I've been thinking about putting together an old school 'tender in 22 mag just for kicks. Oct barrel, hard open frame with the old style furniture...Depending on how old these kids are, opening and closing the action may be a bit of a challenge. They seem easy to open to me but I've seen people have trouble with them before.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I was aware of the fore end difference. 4H members must be 14 to shoot .22 pistol. Gun will have a scope attached, that is the reason I was concerned about weight. One shooter is female, I think the boys will be able to handle the bull barrel. I have two contender frames and both are bull barrel. I am going to let them use mine as the shooters must furnish their own equipment. It has been over thirty years ago that I bought mine and I remember at the time that the bull barrel models and the super 14 would interchange, but for some reason it seams that the octagon barrels would not. I bought a bull barrel in .22 and when it gets here I will have them try it and see if the can handle it. Thanks for you interest. David Hood

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    That's a heavy gun to shoot offhand. You're probably going to have to use a rest for them to shoot expecially with a scope.
    It takes a lot of practice to be able to shoot offhand with a scope on a pistol. If your barrel has a front sight, I have an extra rear open sight to donate to the cause if needed.

gemihur

Newbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2018
    Roanoke, VA
    The barrels fit the same
    Be attentive to solid lugs on older barrels, you may wanna upgrade to split lugs.
    It's a heavy gun if you configure it to be.
    It ain't if your frame is wearing a 10" octagon barrel.
    I love 'em all!
    Here's a bear for ya' ... an SSK 14" Hard Khrome in 444 Marlin

Attachments

• 444 with bipod sm.jpg
      444 with bipod sm.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 64
    Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member