Prepper reading list

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Finished reading "Patriots" about a week ago then started and finished "One Second After". Both were pretty interesting and thought provoking, each in a different way.

I made lots of notes on things mentioned in "Patriots" and have been checking out some of the books/products mentioned in the book. I might add some more books and other items to my stockpile. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

"One Second After" opened my eyes about what could happen in the blink of an eye. Living in Louisiana, most of us prepare each year for hurricane season. I just fired up the generator yesterday to check things out on it. But with all that preparation, there's still the possibility of something like an EMP happening at any time without notice. I think I'm going to start investigating building a small Faraday cage to keep my radio equipment in, just in case. I think a lot that happened in "One Second After" could have been averted if there were more communications available to separate fact from fiction.

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have read quite a lot of these types of books and they get quite redundant after a while. However, the best , IMHO , are, as several mentioned:

1) One Second After
    2) Lights Out
    3) Patriots
    4) Enemies Foreign and Domestic Trilogy
    5) Lucifer's Hammer
    6) Molon Labe
    7) Patriot Dawn
    8) Brushfire Plague Vol 1 & 2

If you read all of these, you have most of the scenarios covered and have been exposed to the material that the authors wanted you to know. Lots of great information in these series.

Last edited:

Slider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I find myself re-reading A. American's series Going Home. Picked up The End to take to work with me, as well as Lights out and One Second After.

The Arisen series are decent, and cheap on my Kindle. Highly recommend the Going Home series

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    The foxfire series. Non fiction, but great, or at least, most of them are. In fiction, John Ross's UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. Not quite apocalyptic, but you will flat love it. For a good laugh, SURVIVAL GUNS, by Mel Tappan. Rawles is like Doug Casey. To him, if you're not a multimillionaire, you SHOULDN'T survive.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I find myself re-reading A. American's series Going Home. Picked up The End to take to work with me, as well as Lights out and One Second After.

The Arisen series are decent, and cheap on my Kindle. Highly recommend the Going Home series

I've now been through everything in this thread except AUD (save the best for last?) and I'll say that the Going Home series, especially after book 2, is easily my favorite. Highly recommended. One second after was good as well.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'm working my way through the 299 Days series. Currently on book 4, The Community. So far I am enjoying it more than the books by James Wesley, Rawles. I understand that it's all fiction, but 299 Days seems more believable.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I've now been through everything in this thread except AUD (save the best for last?) and I'll say that the Going Home series, especially after book 2, is easily my favorite. Highly recommended. One second after was good as well.

Adrian's Undead Diary was one of the best 'books' stories, because just calling it a book doesn't do it justice I've read. I didn't really think I was going to enjoy it, because it's just not the sort of thing I usually get into, but it was good. Don't start it unless you have a LOT of free time though. I think the author has made it available on Amazon as a paperback now, so at least that'll help break it up. But for about 6 months, I completely neglected my family because I couldn't quit reading it on his website.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Adrian's Undead Diary was one of the best 'books' stories, because just calling it a book doesn't do it justice I've read. I didn't really think I was going to enjoy it, because it's just not the sort of thing I usually get into, but it was good. Don't start it unless you have a LOT of free time though. I think the author has made it available on Amazon as a paperback now, so at least that'll help break it up. But for about 6 months, I completely neglected my family because I couldn't quit reading it on his website.

lol! sold.

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    The Patriot series is fantastic.

Here's another very good book about an EMP attack-

"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

I'm reading it now and so far it's pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0http...edir_mdp_mobile765356864/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

From Wikipedia:
    One Second After is a 2009 fiction novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. The novel deals with an unexpected electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States as it affects the people living in and around the small American town of Black Mountain, North Carolina.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Second_After

The author released the book with no digital rights

That is a damn good book.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the epub file (IPad) for One Second After if anyone wants it. PM me with your email address.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I read the third in the patriot series. Disappointed. It was a rehash of a lot of what was in the first two books, with a bit more detail added.

I pulled this thread back up to reread. I got a few barnes and noble gift cards for Christmas :)

Keepurpowderdry

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    N.O.23
    I Second and Third on JOHN ROSS-UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. The Story is Lenghty But will keep you Reading.
    Hard copy has been going for more than cover price .
    PS older thread

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I got a copy downloaded for free saved on the Kindle, just need to find time to start it. Just got in a copy of "The Unarmed Truth" by John Dodson. Planning to start that one maybe tomorrow.

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    "We need a prepper fiction thread where we can recommend books."

As this thread appears to be for fictional SHTF books, I will omit nonfiction texts, though there are some great ones worth reading. A few fictional works that I've enjoyed that come to mind are:

• Alas, Babylon, by Pat Frank (1959): This is sort of the granddaddy of atomic war SHTF books. It is set in Florida during the earlier days of the Cold War and follows people surviving in the aftermath.
    • Warday, by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka (1984): While a bit long and dreary, this is sort of in the same vein as the aforementioned title. It is set in a post-nuclear war United States and follows two authors (fictionalized versions of the real authors) trek across the decimated nation.
    • Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (1977): This is another survival classic. It is about the earth after a comet impacts said and the resulting chaos.
    • Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse: A Novel, by Victor Gischler (2008): This one is an adventure story set in a world in which pretty much everything has gone wrong. It is madcap, wacky, and a little raunchy at times. If nothing else, it is different.
    • Day by Day Armageddon, by J. L. Bourne (2009): This is a zombie apocalypse book. While a little formulaic and lacking polish, it is still a fun read.
    • First Angel, by Ed Mann (1989): This one is one of those rare gems that time has forgotten. It depicts a nuclear exchange between the US and the Soviet Union and the resulting aftermath in the former. Some of the survivors prepared beforehand, while others did not. It is a fascinating and fun read. AFAIK, it is now long out of print, but one can pickup a paperback for next to nothing.
    • One Second After, by William Forstchen (2011): This one is the book on EMP.
    • Resurrection Day, by Brendan DuBois (2013): This is an interesting historical fiction. As we all know, in the real world the Cuban Missile Crisis ended well enough. In this book, well, it didn't. It is part SHTF book and part alternative history, but either way, it is a decent read.
    • Earth Abides, by George Stewart (1949): This is an haunting book that depicts human life after a contagion wipes out virtually everybody in a short time.
    • Zombie Survival Manual, by Max Brooks (2003): Most will know about this one. It is a zombie book written in the style of a survival manual.
    • I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson (1954): This is sort of a horror title, sort of a survival book. It has been adapted to film at least three times (The Last Man on Earth, Omega Man, and I Am Legend).

Cheers.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Wolf and Iron by Gordon Dickinson - This book is about one man after the collapse of society and how he survives. Read it along time ago liked the authors fantasy books so gave it a shot and really enjoyed it.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Just finished the first book in the 299 days series and about to start #2. Guess I have to start preppin now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom