Crossfit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just read an interesting article on why NOT to do crossfit. Anyone want to discuss?

http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/why-i-dont-do-crossfit/

I agree with a lot of what the guy says. I see no virtue in many of the crossfit exercises that I have seen. That being said, some of them are unique and definitely give you a good workout. I do not crossfit (is that a verb?) myself, but I do have a few workouts that crossfitters do thrown into my workout schedule.

Edit:
    April 2015: Well...I have been doing CF for two years now and I completely disagree with the article above and anything I have said below. CF is great and safe...as long as you make it that way!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I disagree with the article. She makes a lot of blanket statements that are not applicable to everyone (some are not applicable at all).

The problem with CrossFit has and always been fanaticism and the low barrier to entry. Yeah, anyone that can afford it can probably get their L1 certificate, but it's important to find a box that heavily focuses on injury prevention and proper form. That being said, it's not for everyone. The gym I go to is very adamant about maintaining proper form. All coaches have been certified and have the proper weightlifting backgrounds. Hell, two of them have been to the olympics. This is part of one of their resumes:

was a 3 time junior world team member, 4 time senior world team, 5 time Pan American Team member, 2012 Olympic Squad member, National Champion, American Open best lifter, Rudy Sablo Award for best overall Junior lifter, and Eleiko Silver Dragon Gold-Medalist. During this time I received he Masters in Kinesiology from LSU.

The other is a two time Games Affiliate Team Championship with wins in 2012 and 2013.

Yeah, she's entitled to her personal opinion. But I mean, she doesn't deadlift so I automatically don't believe anything she says.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    But I mean, she doesn't deadlift so I automatically don't believe anything she says.

lmfao. so true.

there are some crossfits with stellar trainers etc that are probably top notch- but the vast majority are recklessly performed exercises under mild supervision. (Isn't that true of all gyms though?)

I say if you see results from it, do it. If not, don't. - apply to everything fitness

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    the vast majority are recklessly performed exercises under mild supervision. (Isn't that true of all gyms though?)

Good point. I know I would never do any Olympic lifts for time. That's just reckless, and unless you're showing off I don't see the point. Weight training and cardio should not be taken together.
    Crossfit does have its share of haters, and I think that gives the people who do it a sense of community. I don't think it's any better or worse than any other workout program, like Insanity or P90x, and if it gets people out there and exercising, then great.

I agree with a lot of what the guy says.

Oh and Austin, here's your author :drool:
    3a6ab76c0e977fe7b230bd7c55de5e04.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Good point. I know I would never do any Olympic lifts for time. That's just reckless, and unless you're showing off I don't see the point. Weight training and cardio should not be taken together.
    Crossfit does have its share of haters, and I think that gives the people who do it a sense of community. I don't think it's any better or worse than any other workout program, like Insanity or P90x, and if it gets people out there and exercising, then great.

Oh and Austin, here's your author :drool:
    3a6ab76c0e977fe7b230bd7c55de5e04.jpg

Well damn. Whatever she is doing...clearly its working...

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I tried Crossfit for about 6 months and didn't really see any meaningful improvement. I ended up just buying my own Rogue home gym and am following "Combat Conditioning" from which I have seen good improvement. Its also about a million times easier to walk out to the garage in flip flops and lift.

I don't know enough about fitness to say whether or not it works. I have obviously seen the ridiculously unsafe antics on youtube.

The guys that compete in the CF Games are obviously ridiculous.

I don't agree with Paleo, kipping, or the high rep Olympic lifts.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have never seen this guy before. That crossfit one was hilarious...and SO true!

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    My wife and I have been Crossfitting for a little over a year. I've lost 100 lbs and my wife has lost 75. I am stronger then ever. We have great coaches that not only the Crossfit trainers cert but their degrees are in Kinesiology. They look out for us and we don't do crazy movements. Plus it is like having a personal trainer there. Personally for me a home gym would be just an expensive clothes hanger. I need the class structure and motivation. We have many friends at our gym and we all get together outside of the gym with our families for BBQs and crawfish boils. We enjoy the sense of community. Not all gyms and coaches are as good as ours and I feel lucky to be a part of it. Its not for everyone but I know a "regular" gym in not for us.

We joined Anytime Fitness here in Zachary several years ago and asked the owner for help since we didn't know what routines to do. Basically he told us I don't do that you have to find a personal trainer.

Oh and Bro Science is pretty damn funny. My wife thinks he is just damn annoying..LOL

Last edited:

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    That article is VERY poorly informed and as for people that take any credibility from YouTube videos of people doing dumb stuff, I'd like to know how you'd feel if everybody judged gun owners by the knuckleheads that go kicked out of Chipotle. Every Sport, Group, Religion or whatever has their own set of crazy dumb people. Also, the majority of those clips are lifting failures some in Oly lifting gyms and some likely in your average Golds.

If you've got some statistics or documentation maybe you have a leg to stand on. Weather you "agree" with it or not is irrelevant. There are good and bad Crossfit gyms and coaches as there are good and bad coaches and trainers in every sport.

As far as direct comments on the article, very few CF boxes allow people to walk in with no CF experience and jump into a WOD. Being a fitness figure she may have exaggerated her capabilities to skip the normal 6-8 weeks of training before jumping into regular WODs. Some of the movements she described are completely incorrect, this indicates to me that she was either in the poorest of boxes or has no knowledge of what she was doing, or outright lied.

I have personally see people from the ages of 16 to over 70, male, female, pregnant, hip replacements, nearly amputated leg from IED impact, amputee below the knee (AD EOD) and from many backgrounds or fitness levels come into the box I go to and the staff has found ways to adapt workouts or if necessary create a specific work out for their level of conditioning. The key is communicating limitations and your fitness level honestly to your Coaches as it would be with any personal trainer.

Our box is also home to an Olympic Weightlifting multiple us team World Champion who after extended sessions of coming in at the request of our owners to train us on Olympic lifting, chose to leave the facility he was coaching in and open his own Olympic Weightlifting training facility. He has now added Crossfit to his personal fitness training.

You get out of it what you put into it. The varied training has been documented to help to avoid the Plateaus often associated with Lifting or Cardio on it's own.

As far as the diets go, they are usually recommended by people who have found success with them as are any other diet. Paleo works for some people as does atkins, weight watchers, and many others. It just happens to be that some of the Crossfit leadership found success with Paleo and due to their recommendation it was tied to Crossfit.

As far as kipping goes, the idea is to generate the most power as in move the most weight the distance you have to move it in the shortest amount of time. It's physics, in using your entire body you generate more power, using more energy by definition.

There are many other effective ways to exercise, CrossFit is one. If it's not for you, don't do it. But also don't bash something and promote asinine poorly informed articles without doing your research. Most people in here would jump all over someone writing an article this poorly informed about anything gun related. Some of her descriptions are the equivalent of telling us full auto hollow point clips are so dangerous even the military should haven't them.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    "There are many other effective ways to exercise, CrossFit is one. If it's not for you, don't do it. "

This x10. Just get your body moving. You're already doing better than 90% of the people then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    My wife and I have been Crossfitting for a little over a year. I've lost 100 lbs and my wife has lost 75. I am stronger then ever. We have great coaches that not only the Crossfit trainers cert but their degrees are in Kinesiology. They look out for us and we don't do crazy movements. Plus it is like having a personal trainer there. Personally for me a home gym would be just an expensive clothes hanger. I need the class structure and motivation. We have many friends at our gym and we all get together outside of the gym with our families for BBQs and crawfish boils. We enjoy the sense of community. Not all gyms and coaches are as good as ours and I feel lucky to be a part of it. Its not for everyone but I know a "regular" gym in not for us.

We joined Anytime Fitness here in Zachary several years ago and asked the owner for help since we didn't know what routines to do. Basically he told us I don't do that you have to find a personal trainer.

Oh and Bro Science is pretty damn funny. My wife thinks he is just damn annoying..LOL

That article is VERY poorly informed and as for people that take any credibility from YouTube videos of people doing dumb stuff, I'd like to know how you'd feel if everybody judged gun owners by the knuckleheads that go kicked out of Chipotle. Every Sport, Group, Religion or whatever has their own set of crazy dumb people. Also, the majority of those clips are lifting failures some in Oly lifting gyms and some likely in your average Golds.

If you've got some statistics or documentation maybe you have a leg to stand on. Weather you "agree" with it or not is irrelevant. There are good and bad Crossfit gyms and coaches as there are good and bad coaches and trainers in every sport.

As far as direct comments on the article, very few CF boxes allow people to walk in with no CF experience and jump into a WOD. Being a fitness figure she may have exaggerated her capabilities to skip the normal 6-8 weeks of training before jumping into regular WODs. Some of the movements she described are completely incorrect, this indicates to me that she was either in the poorest of boxes or has no knowledge of what she was doing, or outright lied.

I have personally see people from the ages of 16 to over 70, male, female, pregnant, hip replacements, nearly amputated leg from IED impact, amputee below the knee (AD EOD) and from many backgrounds or fitness levels come into the box I go to and the staff has found ways to adapt workouts or if necessary create a specific work out for their level of conditioning. The key is communicating limitations and your fitness level honestly to your Coaches as it would be with any personal trainer.

Our box is also home to an Olympic Weightlifting multiple us team World Champion who after extended sessions of coming in at the request of our owners to train us on Olympic lifting, chose to leave the facility he was coaching in and open his own Olympic Weightlifting training facility. He has now added Crossfit to his personal fitness training.

You get out of it what you put into it. The varied training has been documented to help to avoid the Plateaus often associated with Lifting or Cardio on it's own.

As far as the diets go, they are usually recommended by people who have found success with them as are any other diet. Paleo works for some people as does atkins, weight watchers, and many others. It just happens to be that some of the Crossfit leadership found success with Paleo and due to their recommendation it was tied to Crossfit.

As far as kipping goes, the idea is to generate the most power as in move the most weight the distance you have to move it in the shortest amount of time. It's physics, in using your entire body you generate more power, using more energy by definition.

There are many other effective ways to exercise, CrossFit is one. If it's not for you, don't do it. But also don't bash something and promote asinine poorly informed articles without doing your research. Most people in here would jump all over someone writing an article this poorly informed about anything gun related. Some of her descriptions are the equivalent of telling us full auto hollow point clips are so dangerous even the military should haven't them.

What they said.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Personally, squats, dead lift, bench press and pullups have done more for my strength than anything. The energy output for crossfit seems great for gaining strength and losing weight, but it is not for me. I'm almost 37 and feel I get enough energy burn at work. As an airline and automotive mechanic, I spend most of my day doing some form of clean and jerk and such. Try moving around some of our aircraft brakes and you will see what I mean. Plus, at 6 ft and 160, energy burn isn't really what I am looking for. I like swimming for my cardio (I know, not the best for that) and it must be doing something. Last month when I gave blood, my BP was 102/47 and my pulse was 54. I had to move around to get my BP up, as they can't accept under 50 diastolic.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    This after 6 years in the fitness industry with multiple certs and 3 specializations:

If its working, do it.

If it isn't, don't.

The reason crossfit gets such a bad reputation is because its like some cult where they have to go tell everyone they know that crossfit > whatever that person is currently doing. I've been to CF, and some times its good stuff. Occasionally its amazing stuff. Often, its just "stuff" that gets people moving. Just my opinion.

If its for you and its contributing to a successful lifestyle- DO IT. Results > statistics, opinions, articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom